IS vaping bad for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncofficer4you

Nov 15, 2010
NC
I was vaping today and a friend told me that vaping is really bad for you. I asked him why do u think it is bad for you? He said all the thing in the juice u are vaping u dont really know what u are vaping.

I do not beleave him and would like to get some info. on this if anyone has some good links I can read to prove to him that it is not bad for you.

Thanks

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
There aren't long term studies on the effects of vaping since it's only been around for about 5 years. But there are long term studies on smoking which prove it is bad for you. Which would you rather do? Smoke something that's proven to kill you, or vape something that has a slight possibility of causing harm? I'll take my chances with vaping. Plus it's a lot more pleasant and less costly.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
The argument your friend makes about us not knowing what is in the juice falls flat on those of us who make our own juice. Some of the commercially prepared juice contains some scary sounding chemical names (as do a lot of the items in your pantry), but if you actually look those chemical names up, you'll find nearly all of them are food flavoriings.

Consider this: All of the substances found in normal eLiquid is found in commercially available tobacco products. But, smoking tobacco releases thousands of chemicals NOT found in eLiquid. And many of those chemicals are toxic. Which presents the greater hazard?

After ten months smoke free I will tell you there is no doubt that I AM healthier. I can breathe again. That's kinda important, ya know?

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
I know exactly what goes into my juice and it's NOT any of the following:

From Quit Smoking Support

Ammonia: Household cleaner
Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
Cadmium: Used in batteries
Cyanide: Deadly poison
DDT: A banned insecticide
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
Lead: Poisonous in high doses
Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
Methoprene: Insecticide
Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element

Your friend is ignorant. The next time he wants to say anything about how bad vaping is, have him look up the FULL list of ingredients used in cigarettes and have him compare it to the list of ingredients in e-juice. Then ask him which one is really bad for you. Oh, and you might want to point out that smoking contains Carbon Monoxide, which decreases the amount of oxygen that your red blood cells can carry. Vapor does not contain this, so people who vape will have better skin tone and their gums will be pinker.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Hmm, thinking about food flavorings and whatnot now... What if, 10 years down the road, people who vaped a lot of red juices get their lungs examined and they are dyed red? That might throw up a couple warning signs to a doctor who might think it was a bunch of blood. :p

Doubtful. Blood looks very different from red dye and the vapor produced isn't colored. Besides, the flavorings used are also in many of the things we eat and drink. They might change the color of what is processed out of your body, but rarely does that ever raise a red flag.

Lisa B

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Central City, Colorado
I think I will take my chances with pg that is used in inhalers for people with breathing problems, vg that is used in all kinds of skin care and health products and some food flavorings that we all use all the time anyway. Nicotine is no more harmful then caffeine and I am not giving up my coffee or pepsi. Cigarettes that are full of stuff we all KNOW will kill us. Hmmmm I will enjoy my eGo without fear of the unknown.

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There are studies on using PG or VG as a vaporizer. Sorry I don't have the link right now. I hope someone else can provide it. If I remember correctly, Propylene Glycol is used for inhilation therapy to dispense meciations into the lungs of COPD patients and other lung issues. I think the question about the ejuice is what the effects of vaporized flavorings have on us. I tend to think, that the more natural flavorings might be easier on the lungs overall. But since "smelling" is a process of inhaling vaporized food particles... I'm not really worried about it.

My gosh, when I eat a Halls Lemon MentholEucalyptus drop I get much more flavor and menthol vapor particles than I do when vaping. (As a matter of fact, I've been looking for the perfect Halls Lemon ejuice.)

I hope someone can provide that link to the PG/VG studies.

One thing though.... since the eJuice is not regulated, you have no idea what someone is putting in the juice. I'm much more confident in DIY juice and a few trusted suppliers. And we really don't know what is in the nicotine juice. Of course, since our decaf coffee has formaldehyde in it, and Nutrasweet decomposes to arsenic ... well.... we can't trust the FDA to do anything but take bribes from lobbyists... (heavy sigh)

Last edited:

kevbow

Unregistered Supplier
May 27, 2009
CT
teatimeliquid.com
This is how I look at it. I can either smoke, which I know is bad for me and will put me in an early grave. Or I can vape, and to be honest there is really no guarantee that it is 100% safe, but only time will tell and I also know that I feel much healthier since I quit smoking started vaping. So I'll take the chance and vape :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread