Advice on what to buy for newcomers

Status
Not open for further replies.

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
can we actually pay attention to what the newbs needs are?

again i just read a newbs question asking for something that looks like an analog because they only smoke socially and both responses were "buy an ego".

can people stop pushing what they like on all the new users and actually pay attention to what the user is looking for? we may as well just pull down the site and put up a page that merely says "buy an ego. it doesn't matter what you want".

sorry if i'm beating a dead horse but come on, what use would somebody who wants an analog look-alike for when they smoke socially have with an ego? not everything is one size fits all.

Cut to the chase and just read the last post :)

Admin

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
I understand where you are coming from xg4, but the thread is young and there will be plenty of suggestions, but please understand peoples intent and that the majority of people start out with a cig-a-like and end up moving to different and "better" (quotes intentional) models.

You are right there are a lot of traditional ecig models that are satisfying (I have/had and still use many). Yes the egoType ecig is highly suggested but for just cause, even though it doesn't fit as a 'traditional' sizewise it is a long lasting battery in a small package.

I think people are only trying to help a new member thinking that they might as well skip the step that, statistically, people go through.. usually wanting a clone of a cigarette size and clone of a cigarette taste.. then come to find they need something a bit more.... longer lasting battery... and something that just has a taste to their liking.

I have toned down alot in my vaping needs, but still find an ego-type ecig a good thing to have in ones stash. Besides even if it isn't what someone is looking for at least they see an option that they just might not be aware of.

FWIW the answer to the question would be a M401 with a smart PCC since that simulates size of not only a cigarette but the PCC simulates the size of a pack... but this model might have it's draw backs to some since the battery really doesn't last that long (even though the PCC extends that life ) but the carts don't hold that much juice.

also remembers that's just the nature of forums ingeneral, but it all works out in the end ;)

LGD

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
No. No we can't Sir. He (being a noob), thinks he knows what he wants, but doesn't. We all wanted an analog look alike at first.....remember. Wish someone had told me the 'down and dirty' before I wasted all that $. I know, I know, I'm sure someone on the planet actually prefers a crappy e cig, but the odds are stacked against that being the case with any noob. I go with the odds.

At the end of the day, when your freaking out for a cig, which would you prefer? I think this would apply almost universally.

Last edited:

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
I usually always suggest several different PV models. Pros and cons of each etc. I'm sick of seeing "the ego is the best" and "just get an ego"

That wasn't funny....

Yes that is a good approach for members new to vaping... even if they do suggest the ego the why's for that persons suggestion would be great...

Here is another view of the "the ego is the best" posts (not agreeing nor opposing with them) if someone was to post a detailed response with ego being that members suggestion... these one-liners usually are just trying to support what already was said in detail and the member feels like they contributed to the community... (sort of a +1 if you will) they are also good for keeping the thread "alive" until the OP responds again..... Yes it might possibly cause "useless clutter" if the OP really didn't care to hear it, but with out fail the thread will still get a series of posts with options (like if you posted a detailed response) :D

When I NEVER seen a suggestion for an ego in threads.... oh wait that wasn't even an option :D

All in all we are all here to help and some are just excited to share what they like

enree

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2010
Malaysia
It does not matter to me as they are only suggestions. The best advisers are the persons who have not been on the analog for longer then six months. And there is some sense for bigger atty (may not be suitable for beginers). From what I have gone through, big atty produced the most vapor. They do not look like cigarettes. I believe users are suggesting that they are satisfied with their ego set. Sounds repetitive but its no crime.

Last edited:

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
Didn't realize this was an Ego thread. Never owned one. I see what everyone means about the suggestions and what not.... but isn't that what you do when asked? Don't you give a recommendation based on your experience? In some cases it's all you have to go on. I've tried quite a few devices, enough to say I've been there and done that. I would have to say when I recommend something, or advise to stay away, your best bet is to listen. You won't often find me recommending a particular device ( because there are sooo many and they are so similar). You will more likely find me warning of what not to get.

And I understand the whole subjectivity thing, I really do, but statistics don't lie. If something happens 9 out of 10 times, it's pretty safe to say it will happen again. Am I making sense? Not always the best at explaining.

Last edited:

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
Proceed directly to something with a real battery. You're not doing anyone any favors by telling them which 30 minute device to buy. Too frustrating fighting the batteries=right back to tobacco. eGo family is the perfect gateway to vaping. Mrs. Doctor Vapenstein insisted on something that looked like a cigarette. It took only three weeks before she was using an eGo with a drip tip.

It's better to steer people right than pander to their misconceptions and tell them to go buy hardware that makes vaping a chore.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
No. No we can't Sir. He (being a noob), thinks he knows what he wants, but doesn't. We all wanted an analog look alike at first.....remember. Wish someone had told me the 'down and dirty' before I wasted all that $. I know, I know, I'm sure someone on the planet actually prefers a crappy e cig, but the odds are stacked against that being the case with any noob. I go with the odds.

At the end of the day, when your freaking out for a cig, which would you prefer? I think this would apply almost universally.

+1. I've run into too many locals who have told me they tried vaping with an auto analog sized device and that electronic cigarettes are just a "gimmick" that doesn't work. They continue to smoke due to that one bad experience. If they are just a social smoker, then I will suggest a manual 510. To me that is the best device that is at least similar in size to an analog.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Personally I think an Tornego/Riva is a good starting point for a newbie unless they must have something that looks like an analogue. In terms of price/performance they are hard to beat.

Just on this point though:

Proceed directly to something with a real battery. You're not doing anyone any favors by telling them which 30 minute device to buy. To frustrating fighting the batteries=right back to tobacco. eGo family is the perfect gateway to vaping. Mrs. Doctor Vapenstein insisted on something that looked like a cigarette. It took only three weeks before she was using an eGo with a drip tip.

It's better to steer people right than pander to their misconceptions and tell them to go buy hardware that makes vaping a chore.

When I started vaping there was nothing like an eGo available. The choice basically was a DSE801 or DSE901 or some really poor super mini's. No commercial mods (the Screwdriver was just becoming available). I started with a DSE901 and was quite happy with them at the time, although their limits are quite obvious now :)

Last edited:

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
I recommend depending on how much that person says they smoke. In the case of the thread which lead to this one, the new person said he was a social smoker and wanted an "analog look-alike." I suggested either a 510, Volcano Magma, or a KR808. Had this person said he was a PAD or more smoker, I would've gone the Riva/eGo route. I try to warn most new people away from the "analog look-alike" because IMO they just aren't any good. Besides, that person had started a similar thread a day or so ago asking almost the same question and got the same responses. Should we all just tell him what he wants to hear, or should we try to guide him down the path to satisfaction?

Cil

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
UK
I have and do recommend a 510 for new vapourists as this was the breakthrough e-cig for me. I kinda liked the finding out about egos and mods myself. My wife will only use a 510 with a pcc, as she doesn't like the big batteries, this is her sweet spot.
I really understand the 'wanting a e-cig to look like a normal ...' and think we forget very quickly what it was like a the start, so I agree, cut the new'bs some slack and help them rather than telling them what to use.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
I responded to that question and added the same kinds of remarks as you are saying. Not everyone wants to use an EGO or any other strangely-shaped tool to vape. Some people (and I am still one of them)PREFER something that looks like a cigarette. I'm happy there are others who are tired of the push for EGOs when that is not what the person is looking for. Disclosure: I already HAVE an EGO, but I never use it in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread