Why do I find so much hate for e-cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

withravenoushunger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
On news sites and from comments. Why do people think this is so dangerous? There has been nothing that shows these have anything harmful in them. Every news site just talks about the potential harm they can do. They fail to talk about how many people quit smoking from them and that they have over 4000 less chemicals in them, no tar, and no carcinogens. It makes me think big tobacco companies are paying them off because they are afraid to lose money. I mean how can someone actually promote smoking? People are so ignorant. Like this

Anderson Cooper 360: Blog Archive - Are e-cigarettes just as toxic? « - CNN.com Blogs

And also, they never mention there are alternatives to those "toxic" chemicals. And most sites don't let you buy if you are under 18

enree

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2010
Malaysia
I do sincerely believe that e-cigarette is relatively new. There are many yet who are not familiar with it. To add to their ignorance, there are many e-cigarettes that have the cigarette look. Many dislike cigarettes and naturally there is the hate for e-cigarettes. Time to change the name to 'personal vaporize and the device that do not look like cigarettes.

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
gamingraynen.blogspot.com
It's all about the money. :( That's why it isn't great for us vapers. The government makes a FORTUNE money on cigarettes, even though they kill. They justify it with quitting methods and whatnot, to make the people happy, and only some are able to quit. The e-cigarette has the ability to squash the habit probably faster and a larger amount of many smokers, and the government loses money.

Sad, but true.

Zod

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake
Because the word "cigarette" is in e-cigarette. Cigarettes have been so demonized in the modern world that this society is actually encouraged to descriminate against them/us. In my opinion smokers are the most heavily descriminated against of any minority as the media approves openly putting smokers in their place. How many politicians stand up against constant new cigarette taxes? Seriously, drug addicts are treated better than smokers.

Also smokers are often portrayed as lower class than anyone else which is total BS. It's often disgusted me to see someone hiding the fact that they smoked like it was some horrible act akin to burglarizing your neighbor's house. The aforementioned taxes are the primary reason I started vaping but I was never ashamed of being a smoker. I'm an intelligent adult and I knew the risks. I enjoyed it though now I can enjoy it much cheaper with far less risks and restrictions.

With all the evil associated with cigarettes the spoon fed sheep automatically bundle smokers and vapers together with no intelligent research or thought then act as judge, jury and executioner in one fell swoop. This is exactly why I go out of my way to tell anyone that's open to logical thought the benefits of vaping to not only smokers but non-smokers.

Herein lies my personal dilemma: that we're still associated with smokers is one of the main issues suppressing the popularity and success of the vaping community but driving a wedge between us makes me guilty of the same descrimination of smokers that I despised as a smoker. Sorry, but I'm no hypocrite. We are the same community. Vapers have just discovered the RIGHT way to deal with this fixation.

ScotTex

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2010
Houston, Texas
It sure seems like there are efforts to 'snuff-out' e-cigs before too many people convert to them... or even hear about them.
The tobacco growers.
The towns that would go bust without the income from the profits.
The lobbyists.
The lawyers that have made (and will continue to make) hundreds of millions of dollars off of settlements\claims.
Politicians from local to federal that won't take the time to do any research for themselves and will just use the.. "Children will get them, use them and think that it is cool." cop-out.

*Fly-by-night companies that sell their own proprietary equipment that is pretty much over priced junk that just turns-off many who use them. It takes a good bit of explaining to people who have bought those to buy a 510, 808, 801, 901 or a mod-setup.

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Because the word "cigarette" is in e-cigarette. Cigarettes have been so demonized in the modern world that this society is actually encouraged to descriminate against them/us. In my opinion smokers are the most heavily descriminated against of any minority as the media approves openly putting smokers in their place. How many politicians stand up against constant new cigarette taxes? Seriously, drug addicts are treated better than smokers.

Also smokers are often portrayed as lower class than anyone else which is total BS. It's often disgusted me to see someone hiding the fact that they smoked like it was some horrible act akin to burglarizing your neighbor's house. The aforementioned taxes are the primary reason I started vaping but I was never ashamed of being a smoker. I'm an intelligent adult and I knew the risks. I enjoyed it though now I can enjoy it much cheaper with far less risks and restrictions.

With all the evil associated with cigarettes the spoon fed sheep automatically bundle smokers and vapers together with no intelligent research or thought then act as judge, jury and executioner in one fell swoop. This is exactly why I go out of my way to tell anyone that's open to logical thought the benefits of vaping to not only smokers but non-smokers.

Herein lies my personal dilemma: that we're still associated with smokers is one of the main issues suppressing the popularity and success of the vaping community but driving a wedge between us makes me guilty of the same descrimination of smokers that I despised as a smoker. Sorry, but I'm no hypocrite. We are the same community. Vapers have just discovered the RIGHT way to deal with this fixation.

amen. we're not supposed to judge drug addicts, gamblers, alcoholics, fat people, etc, because those people have a "disease". nobody has made nicotine addiction a "disease" yet, that's why we're allowed to be treated like garbage. we're considered stupid, weak willed people who should just put the cigarettes down.

society has deemed it acceptable for people to recreationally use caffeine, alcohol and some drugs. smokers are simply scum who put a drain on healthcare costs. no other group is told that their actions kill the people around them. no other group gets articles like this about them-

Secondhand smoke tied to kids' poor mental health

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101208...pY2xlX3N1bW1hcnlfbGlzdARzbGsDc2Vjb25kaGFuZHNt

Surgeon general: 1 cigarette is 1 too many

Think the occasional cigarette won't hurt? Even a bit of social smoking — or inhaling someone else's secondhand smoke — could be enough to block your arteries and trigger a heart attack, says the newest surgeon general's report on the killer the nation just can't kick.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101209...zZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNzdXJnZW9uZ2VuZXI-

not to get melodramatic but people often wondered how anyone could ever become a nazi or the like when talking about ww2. but look at how easy it is to demonize a group, how you can get an entire nation to just accept things. not that i'm saying that they're anywhere near each other on the scale but the demonization mindset takes hold easily and quietly. it's scary how easy it is.

the media pretty much portrays us as killers and we're surprised that the public hates us?

Last edited:

Vidi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
By the way, what do tobacco companies think of these? Have they released a statement. And would I be able to email one of them? I just want to see what they say

I suspect that theres something in the wind that has to do with Big Tobacco and e cigs. A year ...maybe.

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
2nd thought-

the companies that sell analog look-alikes do us all a great disservice. at the very least put a blue or purple light on them. all people see is "cigarette".

the vaping world as a whole should be doing everything in its power to separate itself from cigarettes. even with the cig size pvs that i own, like the volcano, i do my damndest to get it in black with a purple or white light.

Last edited:

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
big tobacco isn't against e-cigs... heck phillip morris and RJR both have been working on thier own versions....(I just suspect they're waiting for the court case to be totally over with)
the RJR CEO did an interview a while ago that the vast majority of their R&D dollars were going toward disolvables, snus, and other smokeless products...

honestly the less money they make from cigarette sales the less money they have to pay out in tobacco settlement master agreement funds...

there are states that securitized those settlements so they're on the hook for those tobacco bonds so if less money comes in from that settlement then the state has got to pay back money that they sold for a lump sum up front and already spent...

that money is where alot of the anti tobacco groups also get their funding...

and big Pharm also gives them funding and depends on their unsuccessful products to keep people on the quit start up again cycle...

ecigs really arent a danger to big tobacco, they're really win win for them.... but they are a danger to Big pharm, the states, tobacco bonds, and the anti groups like the ALA (come on if they really got every one to stop they'd be putting themselves out of a job)

Doberz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
NW Indiana
www.facebook.com
"The FDA is concerned about the safety of these products and how they are marketed to the public," said Dr. Margaret A. Hamburg, commissioner of the FDA.

Yeah... I'm sure they're SO concerned. More like upset that big tobacco might get taken out in the coming years.

Saddest part is the trash units that are in malls and convenience stores. If ppl started with a 510, ego, or Riva; there would be much less disappointment and much MORE positive discussion.

Totally. My first one was a Trio 51.. I gave up on messing with it the day I got it. I thought to myself, "Wow, I knew e-cigs were too good to be true".

Then I found this forum and heard about "good" e-cigs. :)

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Saddest part is the trash units that are in malls and convenience stores. If ppl started with a 510, ego, or Riva; there would be much less disappointment and much MORE positive discussion.

The only really positive part of the units that are being sold in the malls and convenience stores is that at least people are being exposed to them. A lot of people get started with these "crap" units and some of them end up here.

I'm happy that people come here, but it annoys me to no end that these retailers aren't as up front as I think they should be. Hell, I started with Green Smoke, but I didn't know that little battery was only going to last me a little over an hour. After I discovered ECF, I could've kicked myself for being a schmoe and spending all that money on GS. I realized that they were overpriced junk, bought Riva kits for me and my fiance and we've been analog free ever since.

People everywhere are getting ripped off IMO, by companies just wanting to cash in on the "e-cig revolution" and it pisses me off. I have to wonder if these companies even know the first thing about vaping or if they even care.

Harlequin

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
I'll reinforce the point that as long as vapers habitually refer to "smoking our e-cigarettes", they really shouldn't be surprised that the general public (and the media, legislators, etc.) become confused. IMO the phrase "e-cig" should be universally dropped in favor of "PV". This isn't just a semantic point; vaping is not smoking, it just effectively mimics the act of smoking.

People automatically associate the act of inhaling a nicotine-laden cloud as "smoking", and it will probably take a couple of generations for that to change. We can help it along by using and encouraging the use of accurate terms such as "vaping" and "PV".

jmanning

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2010
Amarillo, TX
I'll reinforce the point that as long as vapers habitually refer to "smoking our e-cigarettes", they really shouldn't be surprised that the general public (and the media, legislators, etc.) become confused. IMO the phrase "e-cig" should be universally dropped in favor of "PV". This isn't just a semantic point; vaping is not smoking, it just effectively mimics the act of smoking.

People automatically associate the act of inhaling a nicotine-laden cloud as "smoking", and it will probably take a couple of generations for that to change. We can help it along by using and encouraging the use of accurate terms such as "vaping" and "PV".

I agree 100%. I always avoid referring to my PV as an "e-cigarette". I also think PVs that are made to look just like analogs, white tube w/brown speckled "filter", are a bad idea for the same reason.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado

I also agree 100%. I quit smoking and now I vape! It's not a fake cigarette or an e-cig, it's a Personal Vaporizer or a PV or just a plain vaporizer. I actually demonstrated it in my doctor's office yesterday and he was ecstatic about it. He wishes more of his patients would make the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread