Are E-cigs bad for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
What do you guys have to say about this question? I tried writing the most honest answer I could think of which was both yes and no... it depends upon the situation. check out my article here:
Are E-Cigs bad for you? | eCigology
And please give me your feedback. Let me know if I made any mistakes too, as always.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
"E cigs contain up to 7 or 8 chemicals give or take, depending on what juice you buy. Some more, some less… some a lot less if its straight propylene glycol or vegetable glycol, then its just 1."

Completely incorrect, sir! Where did you get 7 or 8 chemicals? My juice only contains flavoring, 1.8% nicotine, PG and VG. If you want to get really technical (as in nit-picky) then what I'm vaping now contains seven ingredients; four different flavorings, nicotine, PG and VG. If I only have one flavoring in there, then that is going to bring the number down to four. Using either 100% PG or 100% VG will bring it down to three. I wouldn't exactly classify flavoring as a chemical. People get put off when you mention putting chemicals in your body, so I avoid using the term when telling others about my PV.

We can assume at this point that PV's are safer than cigarettes, but there still needs to be more real research done for us to be able to say that conclusively. Right now the only things we know are that no one has died from using a PV, and that the vast majority of us feel that our health has improved since making the switch.

I say you need to pull your article, improve your grammar and do a little more research.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
My juice only contains flavoring, 1.8% nicotine, PG and VG. If you want to get really technical (as in nit-picky) then what I'm vaping now contains seven ingredients; four different flavorings, nicotine, PG and VG. If I only have one flavoring in there, then that is going to bring the number down to four. I wouldn't exactly classify flavoring as a chemical. People get put off when you mention putting chemicals in your body, so I avoid using the term when telling others about my PV.
If you want to REALLY get techical, each flavoring contains many chemicals.
:)

And almost none of them have been studied for inhalation safety.
Basically, it is the chemicals in the flavorings that are the main concern in this whole equation.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado

Basically, it is the chemicals in the flavorings that are the main concern in this whole equation.

True, but I really wouldn't want to try and explain that to someone in that great of detail. Vaping is overwhelming enough for people and I don't see any sense in making it that much less appealing.

sbphotog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
O-H-I-O
www.facebook.com
True, but I really wouldn't want to try and explain that to someone in that great of detail. Vaping is overwhelming enough for people and I don't see any sense in making it that much less appealing.

Plus I can't see how inhaling something that is safe to ingest can be as (if not more) harmful than smoking. Could it be bad for you? It certainly could. But is it as bad or worse than inhaling formaldehyde, ammonia, acetone, tar, arsenic, hydrogen cyanide....?(all of these are in analogs + many other chemicals)
I personally don't believe so and I'm willing to take my chances.

That is why I'm for harm reduction and not for a "safe"alternative to cigarettes. :)

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
I don't know...considering that is the part of the equation that poses the greatest risk to the user, I don't think the chemicals involved in the flavoring are something to be ignored or glossed over. Yes, if you're just chit-chatting to someone in the smoking area it's not so bad, but if a web site is meant to be informational, it should include all the information, not just the 'good' stuff.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
Plus I can't see how inhaling something that is safe to ingest can be as (if not more) harmful than smoking. Could it be bad for you? It certainly could. But is it as bad or worse than inhaling formaldehyde, ammonia, acetone, tar, arsenic, hydrogen cyanide....?(all of these are in analogs + many other chemicals)
I personally don't believe so and I'm willing to take my chances.

That is why I'm for harm reduction and not for a "safe"alternative to cigarettes. :)

There are extreme difference between inhaling and ingesting- the tissue within the lungs and within the stomach are very different, and the acid in the GI system breaks down the flavoring agents so the chemicals are not just laying against the organ. Also, there is a different between combustion and vaporizing, the differing heat between combustion and vaporization, and and a myriad of other chemical differences. Like lots of other substances and chemicals, you certainly can make the choice to use them if you want, but I think people should be aware that these issues exist so they can make an educated choice.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada

What you say is true, but half the story. Flavorings and additives that you eat regularly do not have the
long term studies (30 - 40 years) for their effects. Natural / organic food flavorings can be anything that
is not poisonious or harmful. Ground up bugs have just the taste the food scienctist is looking for, in it goes!
It's all natural and organic, nothing artifical in bugs.
The FDA has a limit (greater than zero) of bug parts that are allowable in cereals.

I agree that more studies are necessary for flavoring, PG, VG, PGA etc when it come to vaping but done
with a little common sense. I breath New Jersey air, and car exaust every day driving to work, and that
has got to be worse for my health than vaping.

vappoem

May 19, 2010
Worcester, Ma
Dob (remember it's a thread to help Dob),

In light of Kristen excellent link, it may be more helpful for you to write about your own personal experience, health, and feelings about switching from smoking to vaping. THis could be valuable in two ways. First, it will help people know what to expect if they decided to change. Second, it will add another voice to the many people claiming to have had experience positive health benefits from changing to smoking to vaping (why isn't there a slang term for that? can't someone make up a verb?). These last point is important. If there is ever going to be a large, independent study on vaping, we need to catch the eye of a researcher.

On a final note, I would like to thank you for your willingness to help the cause.

Kevin Freeheart

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Live Free Or Die
No, vaping is not safe.

Being BORN isn't safe, it results in 100% mortality, though I hope to see that change in my lifetime.

I find a flaw in the "is it safe" question since "safe" is ALWAYS a measure of relative safety based on the subjective values of different people. Vaping is MORE UNSAFE to a non-smoker in close proximity than NOT VAPING. The same is likely true of perfume. Yet vaping is probably MORE SAFE to a smoker who is INSTEAD vaping. So who is right? Both are.

The question is moot.

Neemy

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2010
Marietta, GA
www.youtube.com
I agree, you should pull it and do more research. It would also help not sounding so crass....no need to swear or insult in an article that's suppose to be informative.

I agree with this. If you want to dispel myths about e-cigs, an audience would be more receptive to a respectful way of addressing them, rather than “The government says theys contains thats ANTIFREEZE! My dog drank summa dat and he DIED! “. For one thing, it took me a couple of tries to even figure out what you were saying... then I got that you were being sarcastic. Don't assume anyone who is uninformed is stupid. They're just that - "uninformed".

Good luck with it, though!

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
Hey everyone
Thank you so much for your replies, I cant possibly quote everything. I will pull the article and definitely fix the incorrect chemical naming... I guess I was trying to pull too much from memory. Thats an obvious mistake. As far as the grammar stuff, I guess my sense of humor doesn't translate in this article =). Yeah my whole point is that its probably not safe, we dont really know though, but it is safer than smoking as far as we can tell. I also will include more of the benefits I experienced once I switched over. As far as the insulting goes I apologize about sounding so rude, its just that it really makes me so angry to read that on the web. Such a fierce opposition to e-cigs, so ready to dismiss such a wonderful and helpful (potentially life saving) idea. Thanks for all of your input guys, I really appreciate it.

Cooper

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread