So what IS high voltage vaping all about? (Everything you've wanted to know plus a bit of electronic theory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Agreed. I've decided that all of my battery purchases from this point forward will be the AW LiMN high drain variety. From what I understand, the fact that they store less charge (less mAh) doesn't translate directly to shorter battery life because it can keep up with the current draw. Do I have that right?
Once you cross into 18650 territory the answer is no.

Here's a 2A drain test, notice how the HighDrain (LiMN) quickly pans out (green line at the bottom).

Li-ion_186502atests.gif

I'll stick to Li-Ions.

o4_srt

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Thnx for the info.
Still don't get the point of HV attys though. Increasing resistance means less current. Are they supposed to offset a voltage that's too high?

to me, it's convenience. I use cartomizers that have 3.2 ohms of resistance. They SUCK when using a 3.7 volt device, but at 5.5 volts they are awesome. I make DIY juice, and it's tough to justify using a new cartomizer for each new flavor I make, so I test them with atomizers. If I were to purchase standard atomizers, I would have to lower my supply voltage to get the same power as I do using a cartomizer, because standard atomizers have less resistance. Instead, I use high voltage atomizers, so I don't have to do as much voltage adjusting.

BiffRocko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Once you cross into 18650 territory the answer is no.

Here's a 2A drain test, notice how the HighDrain (LiMN) quickly pans out (green line at the bottom).

I'll stick to Li-Ions.

I do have 18650 IMRs now and they don't last nearly as long between charges. However, I'm enjoying the vape I get from them so much more, especially since my daily vape is a dark, cloudy atty killer. Regular and LR 510s couldn't keep up with it, so I switched to Cisco LR 306s. Even with the bridge and wick removed, they still clog up in a matter of a day or two with Li-Ions. The extra heat from the IMRs really helps to keep them from clogging as fast.

I get at least a day from them, usually a day and a half. That is just fine for my needs.

BiffRocko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
to me, it's convenience. I use cartomizers that have 3.2 ohms of resistance. They SUCK when using a 3.7 volt device, but at 5.5 volts they are awesome. I make DIY juice, and it's tough to justify using a new cartomizer for each new flavor I make, so I test them with atomizers. If I were to purchase standard atomizers, I would have to lower my supply voltage to get the same power as I do using a cartomizer, because standard atomizers have less resistance. Instead, I use high voltage atomizers, so I don't have to do as much voltage adjusting.

That's a legitimate use if you don't want to mess with VV. Still that seems to be a rather obscure need. Glad it's working out for you though.

Slurp812

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
Northwest Ohio
That's why I love my VV so much. I have several types of cartos, some suck @ 3.7, so I threw them aside and bought more. But with my VV, they all can vape well! Then its down to the carto construction, and taste factor. And in my case, it changes from day to day. Most days I'm happy with 1.7 ohm resurctors @ 3.5 volts on the provari.

TomC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2011
Columbus, Ohio USA
I've got a decent multimeter tht I use primarily to keep an eye onmy Li-ion batteries. When I use it to measure the resistance of my cartomizers I don't think I a doing it correctly as I a getting a lot of variation. I take one lead and press it securely on the outside of the threads and kind of wedge the second lead inside the hole in the carto. Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread