confused about refilling - low vapour production

Status
Not open for further replies.

6String

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2010
USA
ok, i've tried several methods (short of syringe filling)
And no matter what i do, it seems that the vapour production is almost non existent. I get this heavy throat hit and taste, but no actual vapour, or very little.
Am i over filling them? I have tried 10 drops, 20 drops, and various in between. Tried refilling pre-filled and also blank wow cartos.
I switch to a pre-filled and get huge vapour, just to get my vapour hit i love so much.

I'm pretty sure it's me doing something wrong. Just can't seem to figure out where i'm going wrong :(

phishtraveler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
...in middle america
that's been somewhat my experience, too. You just can't beat a pre-filled carto!

But when I refill them, I do get about 60% of the carto life of a pre-filled and about 60% of the vapor....are you not getting any vapor at all? Not all juice is created equal...the wOw juice creates a lot of vapor, but some of the premiums produce even more IMO....VG's are loaded.

Try this. pry off the soft cap of a newly vaped carto...close to dry, but still producing vapor....don't burn it all the way out. fill it with the exact same juice using this method....tilt it 45 degrees and drop in two drops, twist, two more drops, twist...keep going until you drop in 12 drops. Then wait for the juice to soak into the filler, then drop in 7 more drops. wait for soak in...then done. replace the soft cap and put the rubber caps back on. Then shake the carto vigorously for about 3 minutes. then vape it.

Above God

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
tampa
that's been somewhat my experience, too. You just can't beat a pre-filled carto!

But when I refill them, I do get about 60% of the carto life of a pre-filled and about 60% of the vapor....are you not getting any vapor at all? Not all juice is created equal...the wOw juice creates a lot of vapor, but some of the premiums produce even more IMO....VG's are loaded.

Try this. pry off the soft cap of a newly vaped carto...close to dry, but still producing vapor....don't burn it all the way out. fill it with the exact same juice using this method....tilt it 45 degrees and drop in two drops, twist, two more drops, twist...keep going until you drop in 12 drops. Then wait for the juice to soak into the filler, then drop in 7 more drops. wait for soak in...then done. replace the soft cap and put the rubber caps back on. Then shake the carto vigorously for about 3 minutes. then vape it.

this but add the spin, the spin trick works great for me, ill add it...

Try this. pry off the soft cap of a newly vaped carto...close to dry, but still producing vapor....don't burn it all the way out. fill it with the exact same juice using this method....tilt it 45 degrees and drop in two drops, twist, two more drops, twist...keep going until you drop in 12 drops. then drop it into the free lil sleeve case that v4l gives u, all the way to the bottom (i leave a condom on the srcew on end cuz juice can come out) spin it for like 2/3 seconds, then drop in 7 more drops. wait for soak in...then done. replace the soft cap and put the rubber caps back on. Then shake the carto vigorously for about 3 minutes. then vape it

...dont really know about the shaking it for 3 minutes lol, that seems pretty long but maybe it works for some.

...this works great with wow juice but really cant get much vapor out of premium coffee juice.

imo.

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
I tend to "top off" rather then refill. (keeping the carto moist is key I think - I never vape it down to the burnt taste) Every few hours I will put 6 -10 drops in (depending on how it seems to be soaking in) I tilt the battery and drip 2, turn, drip 2, turn drip 2 etc... until it seems to not be soaking in. Be sure not to drip into the center hole. Then I spin with .... plug and condom on and check the hole to make sure I can see through it (fluid in the hole will kill vapor production) and if I can't I give it a gentle blow into a napkin or tissue till I can see through it again - then put it on a bat and am good to go! I always get lots of vapor and tons of flavor using this method. I have tried others but this seems to do the trick for me.

Joyce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2010
West Virginia
This is odd to me, as I get more vapor from carts I fill myself than from pre-filled. I've used pretty much some variation of every permutation of filling here to some degree. When I'm particularly lazy, mid-fill I will, with the batt-end plug on, give a gentle blow on the uncapped end, instead of spinning. I do this again after the second fill. Then I wipe both ends after recapping. This has the advantage of cleaning out the hole and pushing the juice down into the filler. I get tons of vapor.

lonercom

ECF Veteran
If you are going to drip into the cartos, start when the vapor production or taste drops off. Don[t wait too long or you may damage the filler. When you drip into them, don't count drops. Drip till the filler is damp and give em a thermometer shake or a spin in the bag that came with your battery. ten seconds is more than enough.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with a syringe. Inject till the juice shows at thr top and then pull some back out. It's really much simpler, faster and neater.

I just made a vid for you and posted it on my blog: www.lonegogger.com. (Well, it will be there by 11:30pm tonight)

Last edited:

6String

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2010
USA
hmm. Maybe it's me then. As if it was this way for everyone who liked vaping, i'm sure refillables would of been thrown by the wayside by now. So it's clearly the method of filling i'm using.
I really appreciate all the replies.

Here's what i've found with refilling:
My cartos only seem to accept about 10 drops of juice max before they stop absorbing. Pre-filled and blanks (wow's not cool carts). I tried filling some and leaving them overnight to absorb. I added approx 14-15 drops in. In the morning, the liquid was still sitting on the top under the soft cap. This is my experience with every carto i've tried to refill and let soak overnight.

I've tried spinning and twisting and somersaulting and rolling. But never shook them. I'll give that a shot for sure.
The juice i use is wow juice, same exact brand as i enjoy in the pre-filled (555).

I'll keep at it, until i figure out some way to do it and then post my find here once i figure it out. As phishtraveler is in the same boat as me.

I would like to try VG that's for sure. But where can i buy it? i don't see any for sale on V4L's website sadly. I can deal with less throat hit if i can make lots of billowing clouds :) And i can just up the nicotine content to get that extra TH anyway. My 555 isn't a big throat hit right now. Nothing compared to the coffee or the Black Licorice (which is super strong. I love strong aniseed flavour so they work well for me).

6String

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2010
USA
Ok, i just filled a fresh blank with about 10 drops, shook it up, then added another 7 or 8 and shook it up again. Vapour production from the first hit off of it, with loads of flavour. I'm sold on the shaking method for now. Although i'm going to try the syringe method too.

phishtraveler: Try the shaking method. It seems to work. Vapour production was a million times better that way for me than all the other ways combined.

jeffree

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
california
V4L has a small new line of VG coming. And for anyone who hasn't tried VG lately, I can tell you that it's not only PG that's improved during the past year. Some of the new VGs I've tried are as pure and potent (well, almost) as the best PGs. And the vape clouds are magnificent. You may want to try a few when they hit the shelves.

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
Definitely sounds like you are over-filling and flooding the atty out to me, reverse spin all the juice out, hold the carto at a 70 degree angle and try 8-10 drops.... A Passthrough will also help out with a flooded atty by kickstarting it so to speak. If 8-10 drops works for you and it starts producing acceptable vapor then just top it off with another 6-8 drops.

Oops didn't see your #11 reply thread...oh well

Last edited:

6String

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2010
USA
Definitely sounds like you are over-filling and flooding the atty out to me, reverse spin all the juice out, hold the carto at a 70 degree angle and try 8-10 drops.... A Passthrough will also help out with a flooded atty by kickstarting it so to speak. If 8-10 drops works for you and it starts producing acceptable vapor then just top it off with another 6-8 drops.

Oops didn't see your #11 reply thread...oh well
It's all good. More info is better than none. Thanks for replying :)

phishtraveler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
...in middle america
6string: Shaking thehelloutofthecarto really works for me....can't really figure out the spin so much!
~~~~~~~~

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
If you are going to drip into the cartos, start when the vapor production or taste drops off. Don[t wait too long or you may damage the filler. When you drip into them, don't count drops. Drip till the filler is damp and give em a thermometer shake or a spin in the bag that came with your battery. ten seconds is more than enough.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with a syringe. Inject till the juice shows at thr top and then pull some back out. It's really much simpler, faster and neater.

I just made a vid for you and posted it on my blog: www.lonegogger.com. (Well, it will be there by 11:30pm tonight)

Just watched the video lonercom. Thank you, nicely done :) Where did you get the pointy needle and what gauge is it?

lonercom

ECF Veteran

always9988

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Hicktown, OH
I tend to "top off" rather then refill. (keeping the carto moist is key I think - I never vape it down to the burnt taste) Every few hours I will put 6 -10 drops in (depending on how it seems to be soaking in) I tilt the battery and drip 2, turn, drip 2, turn drip 2 etc... until it seems to not be soaking in. Be sure not to drip into the center hole. Then I spin with .... plug and condom on and check the hole to make sure I can see through it (fluid in the hole will kill vapor production) and if I can't I give it a gentle blow into a napkin or tissue till I can see through it again - then put it on a bat and am good to go! I always get lots of vapor and tons of flavor using this method. I have tried others but this seems to do the trick for me.

I do. I have arthritis in my knee and metal in my foot on the same leg (they reattached some tendons and broke my heel to fix the way the bone sat. Two screws and a plate). I can predict a pressure change long before accuweather lol

always9988

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Hicktown, OH
I do. I have arthritis in my knee and metal in my foot on the same leg (they reattached some tendons and broke my heel to fix the way the bone sat. Two screws and a plate). I can predict a pressure change long before accuweather lol

Sorry guys, tapatalk messed up and completely put this in the wrong thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread