Best mod using 14500 or 16340 batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
Reason why I ask is I have a bunch of AW IMR 14500's and 16340's right now that I use on a 5V box mod (similar to the 5V Ken's Box Mod) and my VV Ali'i. I'm looking to get something that will utilize either one of these batteries. I barely touch my eGo since I got these mods. I primarily drip with the box mod at work and at home and the Ali'i while driving and love em both. But I want something that's a bit more "elegant" than the eGo and obviously with 3.7V or higher. Some things that I'm looking for with the next mod:

- 3.7V or higher, 5V would be ideal, VV would be bonus
- 510 native connection
- preferable sub $100
- must have amazing track record, ie. positive reviews
- "pocket" safe ie. won't fire with the atty on it in a pocket
- preferably smaller like the size of a eGo (I understand diameter will be slightly more due to battery)
- needs to be "simple" don't want crazy maintenance and or spacers or anything needed for my batteries etc...

I've been eying a few such as the precious, icon and P16. I'd take the P16 and icon but it's a bit more than what I'd want to spend and the buttons are on the bottom. I think I prefer the button to be at the "top".

Lastly, I understand "best" is subjective, and it's different for everyone but I'm open to suggestions! Thanks!

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
just a note about the bottom buttons...
honestly I was worried about them at first.. but after about 3 days of using it they become so natural feeling it's silly...
if you have an eGo laying around ( or even a marker) try this...
rest the end of the eGo on your pinky knuckle closest to the palm...gently wrap your fingers over it the index finger up along the cone....thumb on the button pointing upward...
now just kinda squeeze your hand almost like you were ging to make a fist, or flexing your fingers, squeezing a stress ball, etc...
see how the index finger and thumb just sort of pull the PV down against the pinky..
that's all the action that a bottom button needs..
after using one for a short while it feels natural... and top buttons start to feel wierd...lol

I get the price thing though... me I'd vote for the p16...because it is all mechanical, all stainless and has that lifetime warranty...guess that's why I'm saving for a p18 and an ali'i

Last edited:

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
Jimi thanks for the link

Drozd, good point, I see what you mean... never thought of really trying that... so used to the top button on the eGo or Ali'i and the side button I press with my thumb on the box mod that I'm thinking the bottom button will be weird... guess I should really try a P16 from someone before really deciding... I don't doubt the quality of Super T's stuff... I'm actually waiting for his VV box mod to come out as well... but in the meantime I want something a little less "bulky" then a box mod for my dripping purposes... I may invest in the P16 unless there is something that is comparable in quality for less... I understand I do get what I paid for though...

btw you'll love the Ali'i, I love mine :)

just a note about the bottom buttons...
honestly I was worried about them at first.. but after about 3 days of using it they become so natural feeling it's silly...
if you have an eGo laying around ( or even a marker) try this...
rest the end of the eGo on your pinky knuckle closest to the palm...gently wrap your fingers over it the index finger up along the cone....thumb on the button pointing upward...
now just kinda squeeze your hand almost like you were ging to make a fist, or flexing your fingers, squeezing a stress ball, etc...
see how the index finger and thumb just sort of pull the PV down against the pinky..
that's all the action that a bottom button needs..
after using one for a short while it feels natural... and top buttons start to feel wierd...lol

I get the price thing though... me I'd vote for the p16...because it is all mechanical, all stainless and has that lifetime warranty...guess that's why I'm saving for a p18 and an ali'i

Robert T

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2010
Lake City, Florida
not as small as an EGO but next to the Silver Bullet the BB doesn't look that much bigger(comparing both,one in the photo and the other on front of me now) 84.99, great reviews, simple and I've never had the SB fire in my pocket so I don't think this would either. Oh yeah, it's made for 510. The EGO I'm looking at is a XL 900 mAh.

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
Have you considered the new Infinity from NotCigs? With an extension you can use your 14500's. It's VV, looks "elegant" and I think it's under $80.

It's longer than an eGo though.

It's been added to my list :) I should have mentioned lengthwise it doesn't have to be the same size as the eGo. I'm OK with it being slightly longer.... I've used the eGo with the 900mAh battery with a long super t drip tip. I need to do some research on it, I saw that big thread on the pre-ordered and got scared and lazy :p

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
not as small as an EGO but next to the Silver Bullet the BB doesn't look that much bigger(comparing both,one in the photo and the other on front of me now) 84.99, great reviews, simple and I've never had the SB fire in my pocket so I don't think this would either. Oh yeah, it's made for 510. The EGO I'm looking at is a XL 900 mAh.

I'm kind of impartial with the BB, wasn't on my original list really cuz I wanted something chrome/brushed aluminum type finish... good reviews from what I see so far though! ... I guess I'll have to use my LR attys again with any 3.7V mod

Last edited:

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
The base model of the Infinity uses 14430's. There is an extension available for 14500's.

The Infinity as will be released only handles 14430 batteries. They will offer an extension for 14500 batteries after the initial stock of 500 is sold and new product comes in so it might be a while before we see it 14500 compatible. You can read more about it in the Notcig thread forum.

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
Having a BB myself I can not say enough about it. Out of all my 14500 battery mods it has to be favorite one for that battery. And it does come in a Chrome once they are back in stock, if not already.

hmmmm, it's certainly gotten my attention now after seeing some reviews... with 3.7V and a LR 510 or 306 I should be good... I realize it'd be difficult to get sub $100 for a 5V or VV tube mod... I'm having a hard time finding pics of the chrome or silver BB or the silver vein version to compare with...

the icon looks real nice too as far as looks, features and price

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
Take a look at Altsmoke who sells the SB, they show it in silver. to see the silver vein look at the Omega by atlsmoke as well.

I figured that the SB in silver would be the same as the BB in silver... Silver Vein looks kinda funny... my concern with the BB in silver or chrome would be the finger prints and smudges, and the button possibly being pushed in a pocket, or in a case (say the eGo case). The button actually looks like the same button on the Ali'i I have... can anyone confirm this? otherwise the BB does look like a solid 3.7V mod. Also wondering if the newest versions do come with the "hot spring"

I like the look of the media blasted Icon, as I'm sure it's much more resistant to finger prints etc... if the V1.1 comes with the adaptor that has a moat for the juice then that addresses one of my issues, and if the spring can be ordered to be tighter or the on/off dial can be adjusted so it wouldn't accidentally turn on and fire in a pocket.

These two mods seem to be on the top of my list right now.... at least for 3.7V using 14500's ...

Jimi Mack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Long Island
The BB button is the same as the Ali'i and I have not had any issue with the button firing in pockets, then again I do not put it into my pants pockets. I kinda like the Silver Vein being it is a little different, I may even order a SB in that.

The Icon does look nice the only thing you need to remember with this unit is it does NOT take protected 14500 batteries, they will not fit. For me that is something that has be concerned. Now it will take IMR 14500 which has a diff chemistry and are a little less likely to vent.

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
The BB button is the same as the Ali'i and I have not had any issue with the button firing in pockets, then again I do not put it into my pants pockets. I kinda like the Silver Vein being it is a little different, I may even order a SB in that.

The Icon does look nice the only thing you need to remember with this unit is it does NOT take protected 14500 batteries, they will not fit. For me that is something that has be concerned. Now it will take IMR 14500 which has a diff chemistry and are a little less likely to vent.

I'm not too concerned with the non protected batteries with the Icon... it's not using batteries in series, but I also have ONLY the AW IMR 14500's.... the bottom button is something I'll have to get used to though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread