Drysmoking or Dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlito1974

Mar 26, 2008
First and foremost, I did not write what you're about to read. This information comes from esigaret.nl, but is so solid that I felt it had to be listed here for the benefit of our members. So without further ado:

Well, a promise is a promise, and I promised to tell something about drysmoking a while ago, so I think I have to pay my debt by now.

The following is a direct translation of my Dutch posting on the subject, and my english is although acceptable far from perfect, so I hope I can get things clear.

After answering several PB's on the subject, I think it's about time I explain to everyone at the same time how I 'drip' or 'drysmoke'.

Ever since I bought my first electric cigaret, about the beginning of september, I've run into problem after problem. It al started out great, but about every seceond of third cartridge, the fun was over.

In those days (geez, that sounds like fourty years ago writing it down like that) , very little was known about E-smoking in general, directions for use were very insufficient if existing at all, service was nothing to write home about , and it was all a matter of mainly trial and error.
Espscially thinning the liquids in the cartridge with water seemed to help a bit, but only for the smoke, hardly for the taste (like smelling tea without sugar really).

Then one day, long story, I accidentily dropped my three E-Cigs in my crocheted plastic holder in a toilet at the swimmingpool. These cigarettes were actually hardly functioning at the time, but worthy enough to fish them out at once, unscrew the batteries and let them drie.
And - low and behold- the ALL functioned much and much better after this unexpected dive.The atomizers had all had a good rinse (and, unfortunately, so did the batteries which were less enthousiastic about it), somiething I had never dared do befor. BUT it worked, and from then on, I started cleaning my atomizers under a running tab on a daily basis, and this helped - for about ONE cartridge or less each time.

To help them 'come up' sooner after their daily shower, I once tried to squeeze a drop op liquid directly on the atomizer after drying them.
WOW !!!! Now THAT was smoking ! THAT was inhaling ! THAT was feeling a touch - our should I say a BANG on the lungs !! I couldn't believe what had happened !! My Cigarettes FUNCTIONED !! They actually SMOKED !!

And since all three cigarettes were actually as good as dead at that time, I continued 'dripping' them , and I finally became a very very content E-smoker.

About a mont ago I completely stopped using cartridges, and only drysmoked of dripped instead.

And now : dripping for Dummies :

The liquid :
I use the bottles of liquid form E-Cig and liquid that I obtain from regular cartridges that I 'squeeze' bij pulling out the fiber, putting it in an empty sirynge, and squeeze the liquid in a vottle for ear- or nosedrops (very cheap at the local drugstore).

The materials :
I use the E-Cig luxury bottle (which is no more than a regular perfume-sprayer) and nose-dropbottles with a pipet.

The amount :
In the classical pen-shaped model I use about 3 drops, on the mini I use only 1 drop, straight on the atomizer.

How to drip :
Penshaped model :

- Remove the cartridge from the atomizer
- pull of the mouthpiece from a cartridge (throw away the white part, keep the black)
- take the bottle or pipet, and drip up to 3 drops STRAIGHT on the atomizer
- Put back the mouthpiece, and smoke away !!

Mini :

- Pull the mouthpiece (brown) from the atomizer
- Best is to remove the fiber-part from the cartridge, ore use the empty cartridge taht came with your cigarette.
- Drip one big drop straight on the atomizer
- put back the cartridge without the fiber
and smoke away !!

Warning :
DO NOT drop too much liquid on the atomizer, to prevent liquid from leaking through the atomizer and into the battery. This has cost me more thant one battery, so please beware !! Too little is better than too much, you just need to drop more often.

It is possible that you loose waranty on your E-cig if you start dripping. Best is to use liquids that you obtain from the cartridged that came from the same supplier as your E-Cigarette.

For whom is this method suited ?
People like me, chainsmokers, who just smoke too much or too frequent, and simply cannot get along with cartridges for some reason or other. If you've sent back four atomizers in a row because you lost taste, smoke or 'touch', chance is you will get along much better when you start 'dripping'. I don;t really know the CAUSE, but I'm glad I've got the
solution !

How do I know if I ran out of liquid ?

When there is no more smoke, but the battery is not yet empty. In some liquids you can taste it; you get a 'burning', chemical taste, which indicates that the atomizer is getting too dry / too hot.
Please do NOT let the atomizer get too hot, or you'll risk breaking it.

I hope everything is clear even in my poor english, and if not, don't be afraid to ask.

Marleen.

Direct link

Enjoy everyone!

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I know we each have our own ways ... but I can't see doing this. It's WAY too much trouble. And it smacks of doing dope. I want a product that works as designed. I keep cartridges filled and batteries charged and use my e-smoking devices as intended.

I have tried this, by the way, with underwhelming results. It wasn't much of an improvement over a brimming cartridge and freshly charged battery. It definitely wasn't worth all the dismantling, dripping and reassembly. And I cannot see doing this in an office or public place.

Just one e-smoker's opinion, you understand. But I have no interest at all in dripping.

Meltrex

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2008
Arizona USA
www.MyEcig.com
I tried e-dripping on my mini health E-cig, didn't work at all... do you e-drip on the metal wool looking part or right on the spiraled coil??? Both my mini ecigs quit working after that all together even with a fresh cartridge. (dripped on the outer metalish looking wool) They both started working the next day with the normal cartridges. I was worried. :eek: Applied 2 small drips on each side. Not sure how they fixed themselves, maybe dried up.. who knows.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
We indeed have the same Health mini cig. "Didn't work at all" describes it well. "Didn't work" also describes what happened. I got nothing! I stood the atomizer on end and an incredible amount of liquid crud poured out in the next 15 minutes. After that, it resumed its weak vapor production.

I'm pretty disheartened with the cig. I use it now mostly as a prop, same way I used fake plastic cigarettes before I began e-smoking (hey, a smoker needs something in his hand!).

I really can't see where the liquid is hitting for any of my devices. The e-pipe also flunked. Nothing spectacular resulted. But the e-cigar with two drops down the middle is great. And it lasts for many, many puffs.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
I know htis is an old post, but I wanted to share my experience here- I have two SmartFixx penstyles, and 3 atomizers- two atomizers simply will not work with Cartridges in them, I get a burtn flavor when tryign to use htem with Carts, and no vapor, and I htought the atomizer was kaput in htem and just set htem aside thinking I couldn't do anyhtign with htem- however, just out of curiosity, I took the Carts out of hte two 'dead' ones, and dripped 3 drops straight onto the atomizer, and the burnt taste dissappeared after a few inhales, and hte vapor is now very good- I'm getting 15-20 full drags off them using htis method- which is abotu = to one full regular cigarette smoke-wise (I know hte nicotine isn't = but I'm mainly after vapor to satisfy that part of htr smoking experience)-

to me, it's not really a big deal dripping 3 drops for hte = of one cigarrette- just a little extra step- no big deal. I'm smoking hte pens without any mouthpiece- so htere's no dissassembly and reassembly needed each time (This of course won't work with a mini cigg as you'd need the mouth piece to create the chamber between mouth and atomizer- but I was thining, maybe I'll try enlarging the hole in the mini mouthpiece so I can just drip directly htrough it without havign to dissassemble and reassemble)

The only peroblem with not using hte mouthpiece on the penstle, is that you can't hold it in your teeth anymore- but perhaps enlarging hte hole on the penstyle mouthpiece will work too.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Thanks for all the info. Do you guys just drip smoke or do you use cartridges? I've never drip smoked and am kind of afraid of ruining my atomizer. I also read somewhere that someone was using stainless steel wool in an empty cartridge. Any thoughts? I want to try veggie glycerin, but where do you get it? I was thinking a baking supply shop might have it. Also can you get stainless steel wool at the hardware store or in a hardware dept like Kmart? What grade? Any other thoughts on what to use as cartridge material? Anyone tried the guts of a filter from a cigarette? I want to make sure whatever material I use is safe for human consumption. By the way I have an Njoy penstyle and also an E-Puffer Penstyle. The Njoy definitely produces more vapor, but the E-Puffer is not too bad. I just got another e-cig from myecig.com as I have seen Dusty's video. But it only comes in white. Maybe I can decorate it with heat proof enamel paint and have a designer e-cig : ) Anyway, I've been puffing on it off and on for about 4 hours now and so far, it's superb! The vanilla flavor isn't very strong, though it's pleasant. I'm still afrad of dripping. I also just got some e-juice and have dripped a few drops on a cartridge. So far so good.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Leaford, Damn it Janet! LOL. I once had an art teacher come up to me while we were working, and said "Damn it Janet!" Then he apologized and said he just couldn't resist. Maybe I should find a picture of Damn it Janet from RHPS and make her my avitar (sp?). I still would have to figure out how to do that though. My brain can only take so much. This e-cig thing has turned into a major project! I have three e-cigs now and I rotate them, so they seem to be doing well. I like the pen style because it's cool-looking. I have decided to buy some e-liquid from E-Puffer in Canada. I ordered some Bickford extracts - went kind of crazy and spent too much money. I have learned from the forum to not use the ones with oil. Now I need an egg cup, syringe, little bottles, quality empty cartridges, an eye-dropper and a good recipe. I need a friggin laboratory! I live in Ohio and do not want to deal with overseas companies. I really want to learn the best way to clean the atomizers. Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this, but I did read about people using needles to clean the atomizer. That sounds kind of scary to me. I was thinking of using a mini bottle brush - about the size of a mascara brush. Sorry, I tend to ask a lot of questions and also make things more complicated than they really are. I just want to do the right thing.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
Leaford, Damn it Janet! LOL. I once had an art teacher come up to me while we were working, and said "Damn it Janet!" Then he apologized and said he just couldn't resist. Maybe I should find a picture of Damn it Janet from RHPS and make her my avitar (sp?). I still would have to figure out how to do that though. My brain can only take so much. This e-cig thing has turned into a major project! I have three e-cigs now and I rotate them, so they seem to be doing well. I like the pen style because it's cool-looking. I have decided to buy some e-liquid from E-Puffer in Canada. I ordered some Bickford extracts - went kind of crazy and spent too much money. I have learned from the forum to not use the ones with oil. Now I need an egg cup, syringe, little bottles, quality empty cartridges, an eye-dropper and a good recipe. I need a friggin laboratory! I live in Ohio and do not want to deal with overseas companies. I really want to learn the best way to clean the atomizers. Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this, but I did read about people using needles to clean the atomizer. That sounds kind of scary to me. I was thinking of using a mini bottle brush - about the size of a mascara brush. Sorry, I tend to ask a lot of questions and also make things more complicated than they really are. I just want to do the right thing.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Now I need an egg cup, syringe, little bottles, quality empty cartridges, an eye-dropper and a good recipe.
Tweezer, scissors, flashlight, magnifying glass, blacklight, baggies... Go to the nearest crack den and ask for extra supplies. :p

I did read about people using needles to clean the atomizer. That sounds kind of scary to me. I was thinking of using a mini bottle brush - about the size of a mascara brush.

No, it's not that kind of cleaning, I don't think you'll want the brush. Here's the post: Dr. Loi Scratch Technique

I tend to ask a lot of questions and also make things more complicated than they really are. I just want to do the right thing.
We have a club... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread