Valerian Root natural relaxant and sleep aid E-Liquid??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elle

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Orange County, CA
As a person who struggles with high anxiety I saw this e-liquid and i'm intrigued, but i have some concerns.

From E-Puffer:

"
New! e-liquid Valerian Root natural relaxant and sleep aid - 30ml bottle.

The Original Valerian Root e-liquid formula availabe only from ePuffer
Valerian is a perennial plant that has been used as an herbal remedy since the time of the Ancient Greeks, who used it to treat digestive problems. The herb grows in damp areas throughout the Americas, Europe and northern Asia. Valerian root has been used for centuries to treat nervous system disorders, and it is commonly used as a sleep aid as well.

As Valerian root ages, it produces a substance known as isovaleric acid. This compound and another acid known as valerenic acid are significant active ingredients that are present in the volatile oils found in Valerian root. These volatile oils are thought to be responsible for Valerian root's ability to relax the central nervous system and promote a good night's sleep.

"

First off I know people have had mixed experiences with Epuffer, so that concerns me (personally my experience has been the product is great, the service is junk).

Second, I've never considered vaping for "medicinal" aid. Is there anything to be cautious about in this area? Would lingering ejuice in the atomizer be a problem when i DON'T want a sleep aid, say the next morning w/ a different cart?

Any experience in this area and or comments are welcomed... Considering buying, but on the fence.

http://www.epuffer.com/eshop/index.php?target=products&product_id=41

valerian-eliquid-30.jpg

ShimmyPrincess

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2009
The Windy City
Valerian root can act as a diuretic, people who tend to wake during the night to urinate may not find it effective as a sleep aid. Though side effects are rare, some people who use Valerian root for long periods of time may develop headaches, insomnia or agitation.

Valerian root should be used conservatively to treat symptoms of anxiety and insomnia, and it should not be discontinued suddenly. Because of possible negative interaction with barbiturates and benzodiazepines such as Ativan, valium and Xanax, people taking these medications should not use Valerian root.

Side Effects http://sleep.emedtv.com/valerian-root/valerian-root-side-effects.html

Last edited:

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I bet this is exactly the type of thing that worries the health agencies. There are really 2 issues with vaping anything for medicinal reasons. The first is whether or not a substance is actually effective after being heated quickly and transported into the lungs. The far more relevant issue is will a substance that is commonly consumed actually be safe when continuously inhaled.

I'd say stick with what you know you don't react to for vaping, and digest anything you want to try for self medication. Your stomach is a hell of a lot more resilient than your lungs.

Oh yeah..Epuffer...Pfffffft!

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
That's weird, there is no nic level choice. Is this 0 nic? Would make sense if it was :)

The idea of medicinal liquid is an interesting one, but it would be nice if there was a little more information regarding dosage other than not exceeding 30-40 puffs before bed.

Given that the recommended valerian dosage is typically 1-2ml of tincture or extract (to be taken several times daily,) you'd need to add some zeros to that I think. Even if the liquid was pure valerian extract (which I don't suppose it can be,) you'd pretty much need a whole minipipe/standard 801 cartful to reach the lower bound. And since it's actually unlikely to be more than 10% (guess - but it presumably must contain some PG/water/flavourings/other "stuff",) you'd need to chainvape for hours to get a significant dose.

Just another triumph of marketing over sense - the world is full of them.

It does smell horrible, and the taste sticks with you when you take the pills. But, the pills will help you sleep. The recommended does 45 minutes before bed (or before boarding a plane!) knocks me out.

Oh yeah - Valerian supplements stink - it's like a dirty gym sock and the most repugnant French cheese made sweet, sweet love and then had babies. What's even worse and more gross is when you burp hours later and can still taste it. :cry:

It very much does help when you're anxious, though. It helped me immensely when I was trying to get over my anxiety a few years back.

Elle

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Orange County, CA
Oh yeah - Valerian supplements stink - it's like a dirty gym sock and the most repugnant French cheese made sweet, sweet love and then had babies. What's even worse and more gross is when you burp hours later and can still taste it. :cry:

It very much does help when you're anxious, though. It helped me immensely when I was trying to get over my anxiety a few years back.

wow! what a description! :D

thanks for sharing your experience in terms of its effect on anxiety :) i think i'm going to ask epuffer to describe (if possible) the taste, if it tastes like genuine valerian root.

i'm sure they'll say it tastes great no matter what, but at the same time i can't imagine them putting the funds behind a new eliquid that tastes like junk that people will hate to vape, you know?

i'll ask and see what they say (if they ever write back that is!!).

doc g

Apr 2, 2009
California, USA
I have been using valerian root & turning my patients on to it for over 20 years with only good results & no issues.
I get it in tablet form in a product called Formula 303.
Besides valerian to calm the nerves, it also contains passiflora (passion flower) & magnesium carbonate to relax the muscles.
I get it from here http://www.deeceelabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=MF303-45

I'm not affiliated with them in any way,
& I never tried to vape Formula 303's or valerian root.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread