Cart Mod for better refilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

opusMorian

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I came across this when I was doing a USB pass through mod.
The issue is that every time I try to refill, I can only get about 3-4 drops in the cart before it fills to the top. I know the 901 carts with the sponge material can take at least 7 drops. I made a small modification by cutting about 1.5mm off from the bottom of the sponge material, then insert a shrink tube (any straw like material with an hollow center will do). The shrink tube's inside diameter is about the same as a toothpick. With this mod I was able to fill about 7-12 drops before it was full. I am also able to vape longer without refills.

The Idea:
graphic1g.jpg

The Steps:
Cut a length of the straw to the size of the cart chamber minus 1.5mm.
img0973.jpg

We also need to cut a angled slit to expose the cross section of the straw on the bottom.

img0975l.jpg

Here is what it looks like in a cart with the sponge material.
img0976i.jpg

Been vaping for about a week and it works perfectly!

Last edited:

opusMorian

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Houston, TX
The straw melting was one of my concerns, but so far, with the liquid constantly being provided to the atomizer, I did not taste anything burnt. I was thinking about cutting a syringe, but not sure where I can get one at the time. I will be interested in seeing what else people can come up with as a straw that we can all use.

Recycled

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I started doing this with my 401 since you need an unbent paper clip to push the inner cart up anyway. This also works well with a 901.

Drip 2 or 3 or however many drops the cart will take.
Slide the paper clip down into the cart and squeeze the cart material against the side of the cart.
This causes the material to wick up the liquid and leaves room for you to drip in more...as much as it will take.
You can repeat this and also move the material into position.

With the 401, I also dip the end of the atomiser into any excess at the top of the cart, before reassembling. It's just like dripping.

Vape away and keep 'em filled!

cosican

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
CHAPEL HILL NC
I started doing this with my 401 since you need an unbent paper clip to push the inner cart up anyway. This also works well with a 901.

Drip 2 or 3 or however many drops the cart will take.
Slide the paper clip down into the cart and squeeze the cart material against the side of the cart.
This causes the material to wick up the liquid and leaves room for you to drip in more...as much as it will take.
You can repeat this and also move the material into position.

With the 401, I also dip the end of the atomiser into any excess at the top of the cart, before reassembling. It's just like dripping.

Vape away and keep 'em filled!

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I DO, THE PAPERCLIP OR A METAL PICK, DOES THE JOB amazing how creative we all get, when it comes to our toys

the straw or needle is also a grand idea. we gotta keep thses ideas always coming
thanks

BarryK

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
Essex ENGLAND
That's a Great idea - I usually sqeeze the thing until all (most?) of the air is gone.

How about using the plastic tube from a cotton bud instead of a straw?

I don't think it actually needs to come right to the surface of the filler, a couple of mm short should be OK to prevent the plastic coming into contact with the atomiser.

Bootyology

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
NYC
I've been doing this with my 901 for a day.

MY

CART

IS

IMMORTALLLLL

straw + fluval = nonstop amazing wicking. I've never been able to get so many drops of liquid into a cart. It just never stops giving me great vapor. Thanks for the tip... I've been using an m401 and dse901 concurrently since I started without being able to figure out which one i like better. Now I know for sure.

If you don't have a small straw, you can make one one with a regular old drinking straw, cut it down to size, and roll it into the right size with some scotch tape.

Bootyology

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
NYC
lorraine - it affects not only filling, but also in flow to your atomizer. You get amazing drags, and your carts are good to the last drop if you use a polyester filling and a straw.

Also you don't have to look like ...... addict. Also you don't run the risk of injecting yourself with nicotine and dying. It's utterly perfect. Try it!

feathersncream - I have a slight suspicion that those might be a little bit too small for our purposes but honestly I have no idea. If it works, they would be perfect! Let us know if u try it :)

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
lorraine - it affects not only filling, but also in flow to your atomizer. You get amazing drags, and your carts are good to the last drop if you use a polyester filling and a straw.

Also you don't have to look like ...... addict. Also you don't run the risk of injecting yourself with nicotine and dying. It's utterly perfect. Try it!

feathersncream - I have a slight suspicion that those might be a little bit too small for our purposes but honestly I have no idea. If it works, they would be perfect! Let us know if u try it :)

Thanks, I give injections and draw blood at work so I have no issues with using needles. I don't think my nic juice will be strong enough to cause much damage anyway? (cut to 12mg or less) Any reason why putting the straw in and still filling the fibers with a syringe wouldn't work? "I'm sorry, yes I DO need five stirrers for my cup of coffee...."

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
Sounds like that would defeat the purpose of the straw, Lorraine. The straw allows air to escape as you drop liquid in, thus allowing you to fill your carts (faster?). I would think that using a needle does the same thing by injecting the liquid into the bottom of the cart, which would then force air to rise.

So, from what I understand, your choice would be straw with dropper or risk looking like a drug addict by continuing to use a syringe. Personally, I'm not a very patient person and I find the syringe injection to be waaaay faster in filling my carts. :D

Thanks, I give injections and draw blood at work so I have no issues with using needles. I don't think my nic juice will be strong enough to cause much damage anyway? (cut to 12mg or less) Any reason why putting the straw in and still filling the fibers with a syringe wouldn't work? "I'm sorry, yes I DO need five stirrers for my cup of coffee...."

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
Sounds like that would defeat the purpose of the straw, Lorraine. The straw allows air to escape as you drop liquid in, thus allowing you to fill your carts (faster?). I would think that using a needle does the same thing by injecting the liquid into the bottom of the cart, which would then force air to rise.

So, from what I understand, your choice would be straw with dropper or risk looking like a drug addict by continuing to use a syringe. Personally, I'm not a very patient person and I find the syringe injection to be waaaay faster in filling my carts. :D

I thought maybe the air space at the bottom of the filler material or the straw would affect the draw, making it better? If not, I'm not going to bother trying it, like you, a syringe is fine with me. It seemed to me that using a dropper just leaves too much liquid lying on the surface with no way to tell if the filler material is saturated evenly.

Bootyology

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
NYC
I thought maybe the air space at the bottom of the filler material or the straw would affect the draw, making it better? If not, I'm not going to bother trying it, like you, a syringe is fine with me. It seemed to me that using a dropper just leaves too much liquid lying on the surface with no way to tell if the filler material is saturated evenly.

Yes -- the benefit of the straw is two-fold.

1. It makes the draw better by allowing air to the bottom of the cart, as the liquid exits.

2. And if you were to compare dropping in with and without the straw, you would see that the liquid is absorbed much more quickly and in far higher quantities -- once you realize how many drops your cart could possibly hold, you know that you are utilizing your cartridge to its maximum every time you fill. In my situation, with my specific choice and density in filler material, I know that every square millimeter of cart space has juice in it (save for the volume taken by the straw).

Sorry to take up such a tone in speaking of syringes. I associate them with all things awful. If you do not have any issues with draw whatsoever, then syringes are perfect for filling your cart fully and evenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread