Clove Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandal996

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2009
Columbus Ohio
Clove cigaretts, you either love them or hate them. I have always loved cloves especially the Jakarta shorts without the filter but smoke five of them in a night and cough for a week.
Being new to E-Cigs that is the first flavor I wanted to try but I have not been able to find a U.S. supplier that has any in stock.
I do have a bottle of no flavor, 555 and Hilton which I HATE.
Yesterday the curiosity was too much and I started playing. I use tea bag paper any way so it was not a stretch to make a small envelope and add some clove powder. I rolled it up so that the powder was captive and poped it in a clean cart. I added 15 drops of no flavor 24mg, five drops of 555, and 1 drop of Anis flavoring.
I added two drops of the solution to a clean atomizer and gave it a shot. It was very subtle at first so I let it sit for a few hours then gave it a shot. I have to say that it was pretty good. The anis gives it the spice that it really needs to taste like a Jakarta or Djarum. I have thought for a long time that this was the secret ingrediant missing in some real cloves.
Give it a shot. It didnt kill me or my 801. It is not what I would want to vape on a daily basis.
Comments, criticism and warnings are welcomed.

Quixotic7

ECF Veteran
I have some clove e-juice from Janty, it's pretty good, cept it doesn't numb the mouth like real clove cigarettes do. Your idea seems pretty interesting, and I'm curious to try it out. Did you get any numbing of the mouth? There's gotta be a recipe to make straight up, real clove liquid, that would be the bomb for my clove cravings!

ZexMarquies01

Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Piqua, Ohio
What is Anis flavoring, and where did you get it?

I LOVE Djarum non-filtered cigs! Suckers last more than 3x longer than a regular cig, and I SOOO miss having that super sweet taste on my lips!

If I knew what to use, I'd go to the store and pick up some clove powder, and try to make my own flavoring while waiting for some retailers to get their clove e-juice back in stock.

At the moment, Djarum originals are the *ONLY* thing I miss from smoking analogs. And over the past couple weeks, I have been tempted to go buy a pack since I haven't gotten any clove flavoring yet.

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
anis is a seed that tastes llike black licorice. Be careful with the anise though because usually that's usually an oil and I have heard that oils don't fare well with atomizers. You can also buy "licorice flavor" and you would get the same flavor from that i'm sure, maybe a bit stronger though. I am interested in trying your recipe, sounds great. How about shoving a full clove in my atomizer? or maybe even in my liquid? I know that would be at my own risk, might cause some sediment to screw up my atomizer. I got a bottle of clove liquid from janty, it came unmarked, we vaped it anyways, tasted like NOTHING...no clove or anything. I think we got a bum bottle. Cloves are awesome, just keep them away from my ham (what makes us all think that cloves belong in ham? makes it look like gravel on roadkill and taste the like as well).

ZexMarquies01

Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Piqua, Ohio
I was thinking about taking some VG or PG liquid, and using that to soak up the clove flavor from clove powder.

Make something like a teabag, or hell, take a teabag and empty out the tea, and seal it back up somehow, and let it soak in the VG/PG.

Then, If you have any un-flavored nic juice, add it to that. Or if you have other flavors that are super weak ( I have a Watermelon flavor that has almost ZERO flavor to it that would probably work pretty well. )

Or, Just soak the clove powder into unflavored e-juice. Not much though, because you don't want to destroy a large batch of juice. But I figure that may be a decent way of doing this, without getting any clove pieces in your liquids.

Vandal996

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2009
Columbus Ohio
Tread lightly with the anis. It is a very strong flavor and you need it to be very subtle. I was dipping a zip tie in the bottle and dripping it into the concoction in much smaller drops than the e fluid.

I think a whole clove in the liguid would probably yeield good results. That was my first idea but all I had was ground clove powder. I do not think wrapping a tea bag around a whole clove and shoving it in the atomizer with some juice is going to work as well. I think you need the porosity and surface area you get with the powder. I also think that if you made up a few of these carts a week in advance and let them sit that you would have some real clove flavor. Cloves for me were always a treat for a show or a party or smothing. I never wanted to smoke them exclusivley and feel the same way about vapor.

I think the anis flavor I have is water based. I purchased it at the regular grocery. It is next to the vanilla and cones in the sane size bottle.

One further note. People around you will smell the clove!

ZexMarquies01

Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Piqua, Ohio
I do not think wrapping a tea bag around a whole clove and shoving it in the atomizer with some juice is going to work as well.

no no no, You have it all wrong.

I mean, get some clove and put it in a teabag type of bag, and put it in a small cup ( maybe a shotglass ), and then pour in some VG/PG, or unflavored e-juice, and let the bag sit in the liquid for like a day.

Then make sure there are no particles or anything in the juice by filtering it out through a coffee filter or something, and use that.

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
LOL, I wasn't going to wrap the clove at all, I was just going to shove it in my stuffing! LOL! Zex, I was thinking of telling you to use a tea ball to suspend some cloves in some VG or PG, but then I realized that to use a tea ball (which even at their smallest are pretty large), you would have to use a lot of fluid, and that would be a waste. I use them in "seasoning" jelly all the time, they work quite well and keep almost all of the spice fragments out of things, but on second thought, they are just too big.

Has using spices (even in a tea bag) harmed the atomizer thus far? Just curious because I'm very interested in trying this. I wonder how long it will take to get the clove flavor out after you decide to change flavors. LOL...it always make me annoyed when I'm still vaping all over another flavor I used the day before (I have not had that problem since I made a battery pack, which leads me to believe my atomizer just wasn't getting hot enough with my weak batteries to rid the atomizer of the previous flavor?idk).

ZexMarquies01

Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Piqua, Ohio
LOL, I wasn't going to wrap the clove at all, I was just going to shove it in my stuffing! LOL! Zex, I was thinking of telling you to use a tea ball to suspend some cloves in some VG or PG, but then I realized that to use a tea ball (which even at their smallest are pretty large), you would have to use a lot of fluid, and that would be a waste. I use them in "seasoning" jelly all the time, they work quite well and keep almost all of the spice fragments out of things, but on second thought, they are just too big.

Well, you can always cut up the clove into small pieces to increase surface area, or use clove powder. And if you use Glycerin instead of actual e-juice, It won't be a huge waste if it turns out bad. Glycerin can be picked up at walmart for $3.50 for a 6oz bottle.

Then just add a bit of the glycerin to a high strength unflavored e-juice. use 36mg, and use a 50/50 mix. Will give you 18mg juice with a hopefully good clove flavor.

And about flavors mixing, that isn't much of a problem. Either use a different atomizer, Or clean the atomizer out. If you want to get out the flavor of other juices, Just run the atomizer under the sink with HOT water. Then blow out the atomizer, and let it dry. Works for me, and it gets out pretty much all the taste of the previous liquid.

ZexMarquies01

Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Piqua, Ohio
instead of using clove powder or whole cloves, why not add a drop or two of clove oil into your unflavored liquid?? clove oil is very very strong flavoring, one drop raw on your gums is more than enough to numb your entire mouth. you can buy it OTC at CVS pharmacy pretty cheap.. i used to use it for toothaches, and worked WONDERS..

The only problem is that it's an oil. And Oils are bad for atomizers. It will cause them to gunk up faster, and could kill the atomizer.

Hence why I still like my method a bit more. But, If someone isn't worried about killing an atomizer, I'd be interested if someone gives the clove oil idea a try.

dopple

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
The only problem is that it's an oil. And Oils are bad for atomizers. It will cause them to gunk up faster, and could kill the atomizer.

Hence why I still like my method a bit more. But, If someone isn't worried about killing an atomizer, I'd be interested if someone gives the clove oil idea a try.

im not talking about using a lot of it... trust me that stuffs flavor is POTENT a drop or 2 per 10 ml would probably be more than enough... i doubt at that small concentration it would potentially gunk it up...

ZexMarquies01

Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Piqua, Ohio
im not talking about using a lot of it... trust me that stuffs flavor is POTENT a drop or 2 per 10 ml would probably be more than enough... i doubt at that small concentration it would potentially gunk it up...

Hmmm....sounds interesting. If I can find the stuff, I may have to pick up a bottle and give it a try. Like I said earlier, I have a 20ml bottle of 36mg Watermelon that has almost no taste at all. I figure that will probably work just fine, seeing as I don't have any non-flavored e-juice.

dopple

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Hmmm....sounds interesting. If I can find the stuff, I may have to pick up a bottle and give it a try. Like I said earlier, I have a 20ml bottle of 36mg Watermelon that has almost no taste at all. I figure that will probably work just fine, seeing as I don't have any non-flavored e-juice.

just remember, it is potent stuff.... just a drop is quite capable of numbing half your mouth if put on your gums.... hmm that reminds me, i might have some left hehehehehe lemme go check... wow.. yeah i still have some... its years old so i dont think i would wanna mix with it, but i got a 1 fl oz bottle from CVS for 4.36.... might not be the same price now....but it is still very smell-good hehehehe

(*edit*) yeah.. i just threw the bottle away,.. it doesnt taste as it used to, still very strong, less than a drop on my tongue and its completely numb, but its got a horrid taste it never used to have..

ZexMarquies01

Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Piqua, Ohio
just remember, it is potent stuff.... just a drop is quite capable of numbing half your mouth if put on your gums.... hmm that reminds me, i might have some left hehehehehe lemme go check... wow.. yeah i still have some... its years old so i dont think i would wanna mix with it, but i got a 1 fl oz bottle from CVS for 4.36.... might not be the same price now....but it is still very smell-good hehehehe

Luckily, there's a CVS not to far from me. only a 5 min. drive from my apartment. Might stop by there later. Going to go visit my parents later today to show them the e-cig, and CVS is on the way.

Also, I'll keep in mind of the strength of the stuff. I'll take a tooth pick, and dip that in the oil, then dip it in my juice, and swirl it around. If it's not strong enough, I'll do it again. I'll keep doing that until i find the right amount. That should keep the concentration low.

If i do this, I'll post my results.

dopple

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Luckily, there's a CVS not to far from me. only a 5 min. drive from my apartment. Might stop by there later. Going to go visit my parents later today to show them the e-cig, and CVS is on the way.

Also, I'll keep in mind of the strength of the stuff. I'll take a tooth pick, and dip that in the oil, then dip it in my juice, and swirl it around. If it's not strong enough, I'll do it again. I'll keep doing that until i find the right amount. That should keep the concentration low.

If i do this, I'll post my results.

get a toothpic and dip it in, then touch it to your tongue you'll see how powerful this stuff is.... my mouth is still numb ;-)

dopple

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Yeah, but that was at full concentration. I'd do this with a couple ml of liquid, so that will dilute the clove pretty well.

thats my point... its full concentration is so strong, to dilute it down to tolerable strength, its concentration would be very minimal to cause damage to the atty.. at full concentration trust me you wouldnt want to vape it... its more a bitter taste, thats why it needs to be diluted.... if it works out, lemme know ill pick up some more oil... i miss clove ciggies.... i picked up clove e-juice before, it was nothing at all like i hoped...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread