Status
Not open for further replies.

Stepherz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Colorado
www.youtube.com
So I finally got my ecig yesterday. I made videos for youtube right away for my" Virgin Vapor Experience" (YouTube - Virgin Vapor, My First Time Using an E-Cig, Joye 510). I was so excited and really really pleased with the experience. But I vaped for a few hours, first with the battery, then with my new passthrough. But after a few hours I started feeling really weird. By the time I went to bed my heart was really racey and I had this funky feeling in my throat, esophogus. I figured it was because I smoked too much, too much nicotine? I mean, how do you know when to stop?

So I tried again this morning. Think my attomizer is trashed. So I got a new attomizer and replaced the cartridge. I figured this time I'd just smoke less-- took about 10 drags in a 10 minutes span. This time I didn't get the racey heart but still got that weird throat feeling.

I've never had that happen with cigarettes.
So what does this sound like? Am I allergic to the PG, maybe VG would work? Or is this just not going to work out for me? And how do I prevent the racey heart-- that's the feeling that actually SCARED me.

Lastly, I have ordered a bunch of PG juice/ liquids from awesome vapor and vapor kings. I ordered one "organic" juice that apparently has higher VG than PG. Maybe I'll see if that does better for me. But can I do anything with all of these other juices I have? Do people buy them? I mean, I haven't even used juices yet, just the cartrdiges that come with the Joye510, so these juices haven't even been opened yet!

I'm just really really bummed about this. I want to just give up and throw the crap away, but now I'm invested $150.

Thanks for letting me air, if nothing else....

Stephanie

Last edited by a moderator:

Landrake

Dec 30, 2010
Michigan, USA
I've only been vaping for a week now. I'm finding that PG heavy juices are harder on my throat than VG. It might just be a dehydration difference? Not sure and I have noticed that the problem is getting reduced as the days go by.

As far as the rapid heart rate, what is the nicotine level you using? Sounds like a reaction to high nicotine intake? I smoked about 15 cigarettes per day and I'm finding that 18mg nicotine juices are a good fit for me.

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
The racing heart comes from too much nicotine if you lower it then that usually goes away. I chain vape 6mg all day. Use less nic when you want to vape for a while or even no nic and then use the higher for when you need it. I also start with three puffs then wait 5 min and see how I feel. It takes a little longer for nic to hit you when vaping than with a cigarette. As for your throat I had a sore throat when I started and kinda a lump feeling inside. I had a hard time swallowing but I drank alot of water (or whatever) and used ricola drops and it went away now I can vape with no drink and I dont get that throat feeling anymore. PG can also cause a throat problem if you try more VG in your juice it might help. I cant use too much VG or it gives me asthma and wheezing( which is why i quit smoking) I us 70pg/30vg If I go any higher problems happen. try lowering your juice nic by adding some VG if it a high PG juice. You can buy VG at walmart.

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
Hi Stephanie

Changing over from cigarettes to an e cigarette is a process that takes a bit of time to get used to. The draw on the inhale is lighter, so if you suck too hard, you are likely to get juice in your mouth, which I noted on your video did happen.

You will go through all kinds of changes, for example your lungs will get rid of the tar and whatever build up has been stuck there whilst you were smoking.

Please make sure you drink plenty of fluids, especially important when first starting out on the vaping trail.

The kick at the back of the throat, could be what is termed as throat hit, but I cant say that for certain.

If you are feeling an ache in the glands on the side of your throat, then that is usually an indication that the juice is a little too high in strength for you. You can lower the strength by adding some glycerin (VG), which you should be able to buy in a pharmacy, but remember the flavour will reduce a bit too.

Yes juices can be sold, so dont worry about that too much.

It's very early days to say whether or not you have a PG intolerance, but its not impossible. Some people are PG intolerant.

The racing heart is usually associated with too high a level of nicotine. Although for safety sake, I have to say, have it checked out by your Doctor, should it continue.

When I first started out, around 2 years ago now, I was a 20 a day smoker for over 40 years, so I started on 11mg and that was fine for me. Today I still use 11mg with the odd venture to 18mg for those hard to get a hit moments.

Your atomizer should not be trashed after a few hours use, so check it, blow it through from the battery end onto a bit of tissue, as it could be a little flooded, and then try it again.

So dont give up yet, plenty of folk here will help you.

JackSam

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
NY USA
I had a rough throat feeling at one point around the 1 week mark. It went away though after a couple days.
Are you maybe drying out the atomizer? There's no reason one should go bad that quickly. I find carts are terrible for my puffing style. Most I can get out of them before they get dry is like 3-6 hits on a refill. Maybe 2-3 cigarettes worth on a factory fill.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Passthru huh? Vaping a lot?

Too much nicotine (feel weird and racing heart) as well as maybe too much PG in your juice making your tongue and throat feel sore and tingly? Try 70pg/30vg or even 50/50 and lower nicotine if you are going to vape that much.

if you are vaping twice as much as you smoked, try cutting the nicotine level in 1/2 for those times.

FreedomSmokeUSA.com, in their normal $4 up juice sizes (not the samplers) offers fully configurable PG/VG on most of their juices (fixed 50/50 on a few fruity ones). Discount code freedomsmokeusa for 10% off and I bet they'll throw in a free random sample too.

Last edited:

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
Good advice here! To summarize, drink lots of fluids when you just start out (especially water). The racing heart sounds like you're getting too much nicotine--try to lower it. And you could be sensitive to the PG in the juice. I know that I was. I didn't realize that that's what it was until I got my first juice from a vendor that makes his specialty juices 50/50 PG/VG. It takes a little while to learn how to puff on an e-cig. Try small one to begin with. You'll find your "pace". And if the racing heart continues after lowering your nicotine level, see a doctor.

Stepherz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Colorado
www.youtube.com
Yep, I am sure it was just too much nicotine because I've NEVER had that heart feeling before and it's gone now that I haven't overdone it. So I guess it sounds like I need to "wet" down my 18 mg juices with some VG. I'll give it a try. But that throat feeling is not just dry throat, I drank plenty. So I think I might be having an allergic reaction to something in the cartridges.

Ok, so something I need to research, or maybe y'all can help me? But I have these juices that I will try, rather than the cartridge that came with the e-cig (menthol, coffee, etc). But how do you use the juices? Where do you drip it? I have a drip tip, an attomizer, and a battery. I don't know where the juice goes, durrrr!

Thanks for your help, guys!

Stephanie

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
Put the drip tip on the atomizer and drip 2-3 drops in the drip tip give a little shake to it and then puff. when it begins to lose flavor or feels a bit dry another 1-2 drops if you flood the atty take it off the battery and then blow thru it into a papertowel then start with 2 drops you will get the hang of it. If you are using a automatic battery be very careful not to flood the atty or you will flood your battery and it will never work again. iF you are using a manual (with a button) you dont have to worry about it.

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
Yep, I am sure it was just too much nicotine because I've NEVER had that heart feeling before and it's gone now that I haven't overdone it. So I guess it sounds like I need to "wet" down my 18 mg juices with some VG. I'll give it a try. But that throat feeling is not just dry throat, I drank plenty. So I think I might be having an allergic reaction to something in the cartridges.

Ok, so something I need to research, or maybe y'all can help me? But I have these juices that I will try, rather than the cartridge that came with the e-cig (menthol, coffee, etc). But how do you use the juices? Where do you drip it? I have a drip tip, an attomizer, and a battery. I don't know where the juice goes, durrrr!

Thanks for your help, guys!

Stephanie

I'm still thinking that you might be sensitive to the PG in your juices. What ratio are they PG/VG? And to drip, you drop 2-3 drops on the bridge of the atty (that wire meshy looking thing that sticks up) and put the drip tip on and vape. You can also drip while you have the drip tip on the atty. (that's why they call it a drip tip :lol: ) If you drip with the drip tip on, give the juice a couple of seconds to drip down. Otherwise, you'll be sucking up juice. Not too many drops though at a time because you'll flood the atty and won't get much vapor.

malyden

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
OH
I have found that certain flavors of juice give me that sore/dry throat feeling. PG does tend to dry you out a bit too so drink plenty of fluids - try to stay away from drinking a lot of caffeine.
When using your ecig try to hold it tilted down - especially when dripping. If you get a numbing yuck taste that means you got a little ejuice in your mouth - rinse with water and you'll be fine.
It looks like you're doing very well for your first time :)
Congrats!!

Stepherz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Colorado
www.youtube.com
Thanks you guys, great advice here. You asked what kind of juice I'm using now, PG or VG. I don't know really, it's just the cartridges that come with the Joye 510. I wasn't ambitious enough to try dripping yet, so just used the carts that came with the kit. I'm assuming they are mostly PG, huh?

So I'll try the juices I have, but will cut them with VG and see if that helps with the funky throat feeling. The feeling is actually lower than the throat, if I were a Dr. or knew anything about human anatomy, I would say that feeling is by the entrance to my lungs, not higher up towards my throat really.

I just don't want to feel that Nic overdose feeling ever again. But I'd LOVE to just vape and vape. So can I cut my 18 mg juices with 50/50? I'd imagine that would work, huh? Then I get to kill 2 birds with 1 stone-- cut back on the PG that may be causing a reaction, AND get to vape more without overdosing on it again.

Thanks again!

Kreep

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
Corona, Ca
Dont sweat the throat issue - I'm vaping 40/60 VG/PG and the first two days I had a sore, dry, scratchy throat as well. Up the fluid intake and slow down with the heavy vaping... In the beginning here, try to treat your PV like a cigarette, go outside, or to a designated place to use it, and try to vape at the same intervals at which you would smoke. This technique will help to ensure that you don't get too much nicotine and it will ease the throat issue until you can get your VG/PG mix right and some lower nic juice.

Monkerfish

Dec 27, 2010
Indiana
I didn't feel right when I first stated vaping. I was at 18mg. Also some of the juices do strang things. I cant do blueberry of any kind it make my lips blow up life Fat Albert. I just tried a few different juices. Some PG some VG and some mixed. Some make me feel like I was stranded in the desert for a week. SOOO thirsty. Others don't bother me at all. After just a month I am chain vaping 24mg and sometimes still have a piece of nic gum. Call me crazy, but its what works for me. Hope you find the joy in vaping! Good Luck
Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread