Status
Not open for further replies.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
This is the million dollar question. My daughter asked me the same thing as she was concerned about vaping around my grandson. Although I agree with the others that any nic would be minuscule at best, I couldn't tell her no with certainty. I don't vape around him but I wish there was definitive testing in this area. I mean, she's not worried about the PG....just the nic.

Lu

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
That is a good question, wish we had the answer. I thought I read on some of the supplier ads that we weren't putting anything in the air except harmless vapor. Now I'm a little confused, but hey, as far as I'm concerned, I will still be telling everyone the only thing they are seeing is harmless vapor.

I've explained it to some with the visual of them going out on a cold day and blowing out a breathe. They see a vapor of sorts. I tell them that's all they are seeing, is a vapor of sorts.

So far this explanation seems to satisfy most of the curious. And that's all they are, most of them, are just curious. After I give them that explanation, even my have-never-smoked family and friends love the idea of me vaping!

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
That is a good question, wish we had the answer. I thought I read on some of the supplier ads that we weren't putting anything in the air except harmless vapor. Now I'm a little confused, but hey, as far as I'm concerned, I will still be telling everyone the only thing they are seeing is harmless vapor.

Yeh well, they also say one cart = a pack of cigs....and you can smoke them anywhere....so that has to be taken with a grain of salt.

When someone asks me, I tell them what I believe to be true....there may be some nic in the exhaled vapor. Most of them are okay with that but prefer not to do it around their kids either (little ones...most don't seem to mind around older ones). But this has only been my experience....YMMV.

Lu

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
He most likely would ingest more nicotine from eating a potato, tomato or an eggplant.

You are putting nicotine in the air in very small amounts.

I get disgusted when I hear things like that. Sure, you may see trace amounts, but what about the other things?

Most chemicals are expelled from the lungs. Why aren't these people worried about alcohol, caffeine, viruses, and drugs? Some people have been programmed to think that way.

JustPuffin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
He most likely would ingest more nicotine from eating a potato, tomato or an eggplant.

You are putting nicotine in the air in very small amounts.

You are definitely putting miniscule amounts of nicotine in the air. Nicotine has not been proven to have any harmful effect. On the contrary both PG and nicotine have only turned up studies that have shown beneficial properties. Other then the addictive nature of nicotine can anyone show any conclusive proof that either of these substances have ever in any case been shown to cause harm. Many poisons have medicinal use.

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com
If nicotine is in the vapor going into your lungs, it is in the vapor coming out of your lungs, respect people's rights to clean air, don't smoke it around those who don't like it.

Thanks for the helpful hint. I agree 100%. It's a good thing that with e-cigs we're not smoking, we're vaping.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
You are definitely putting miniscule amounts of nicotine in the air. Nicotine has not been proven to have any harmful effect. On the contrary both PG and nicotine have only turned up studies that have shown beneficial properties. Other then the addictive nature of nicotine can anyone show any conclusive proof that either of these substances have ever in any case been shown to cause harm. Many poisons have medicinal use.

Well, nicotine does accelerate growth of cancerous cells. But beside its addictive property, I haven't seen any other negatives about it.

Lu

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Well down here is southeast Texas we have several Petro chemical plants and people worry about a tad of Nic in the air. What about those peole that live close to a coal buring electric place. Driving your car is more poluting. Give me a break and especially don't eat any more Tomatoes and patatoes.

You got it, Taz. Do people really want to cut down pollution? I'll bet you can cut pollution by 35%, just by closing down all drive thru's.

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Yeh well, they also say one cart = a pack of cigs....and you can smoke them anywhere....so that has to be taken with a grain of salt.

When someone asks me, I tell them what I believe to be true....there may be some nic in the exhaled vapor. Most of them are okay with that but prefer not to do it around their kids either (little ones...most don't seem to mind around older ones). But this has only been my experience....YMMV.

Lu

What's wonderful about your above statement is "I tell them what I believe to be true" and for me personally, what I wrote above I truly believe to be true! So I guess we're both sticking to the truth.

When it comes to the nitty gritty, the fine lines, etc. it becomes, if there's no scientific proof, one's opinion. And truly if you believe there is at least some nicotine dispersed in the air, then I respect your being careful around the young ones!

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
Jim Davis, they could cut down on polution and save their artries from all that fat.

Lu, I read a lot of research and any research that has political impact or someone with a vested interest in it , is suspect. When it comes to nictoine and smoking cigs, I find a lot of junk or may as well be with the quaifiers they have to use if they find a benifit to either in order to get it published. There is too much bias toward either for the research to be good.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
What's wonderful about your above statement is "I tell them what I believe to be true" and for me personally, what I wrote above I truly believe to be true! So I guess we're both sticking to the truth.

When it comes to the nitty gritty, the fine lines, etc. it becomes, if there's no scientific proof, one's opinion. And truly if you believe there is at least some nicotine dispersed in the air, then I respect your being careful around the young ones!

True! However, whether "my truth" is correct or not, no one can be harmed by it; whereas if "your truth" turns out to be incorrect, those you misinformed could face harm.

Again, without proof, I am not saying it is harmful but I'd rather err on the side of caution than not.....but that's just me.

Lu

Harry Crazington

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
Las Vegas
Well, nicotine does accelerate growth of cancerous cells. But beside its addictive property, I haven't seen any other negatives about it.

Lu

Hi Lu, yep I've seen several articles claiming the same thing, I think nicotine would be much more dangerous to the one puffing on the eCig than anyone inhaling the secondhand vapor though....

Nicotine Speeds Lung Cancer

Nicotine Plugs Directly Into Lung Cells, Tells Tumors to Grow
By Daniel J. DeNoon
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

July 20, 2006 -- Nicotine directly speeds the growth of lung cancer, University of South Florida researchers report.
Tobacco smoke contains agents that cause cancer. But nicotine itself isn't one of them. Instead, nicotine promotes the growth of existing cancer cells.
Exactly how nicotine does this is now becoming clear: It plugs directly into lung cells, where it jump-starts the cells' growth machinery. If those cells are cancerous, nicotine makes them grow wildly.
"These events can be expected to contribute to the growth and progression of tumors exposed to nicotine through tobacco smoke or cigarette substitutes," suggest Piyali Dasgupta, PhD, and colleagues at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, USF, Tampa, Fla.
Dasgupta and colleagues found that nicotine plugs into receptors called nicotinic acetylcholine receptors or nAChRs. These receptors are found throughout the body.
The finding may help explain why chemotherapy for breast cancer is less effective in smokers and why cigarette smoke helps many different kinds of cancer grow.
The study appears in the August issue of the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Lu, I read a lot of research and any research that has political impact or someone with a vested interest in it , is suspect. When it comes to nictoine and smoking cigs, I find a lot of junk or may as well be with the quaifiers they have to use if they find a benifit to either in order to get it published. There is too much bias toward either for the research to be good.

That's what I have found too taz.

Lu

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Hi Lu, yep I've seen several articles claiming the same thing, I think nicotine would be much more dangerous to the one puffing on the eCig than anyone inhaling the secondhand vapor though....

And I agree with this too. But, I'd rather inform those who ask that there likely is nic in the exhaled vapor....then they can make their own decision whether they want to be exposed to it or not. So far, I have never been around an adult who minded although one night, when I was blowing out huge plumes of vapor at my daughter's, her husband (who is allergic to cig smoke) just stared at me and said something about the garage....lol

People do still panic when they see what resembles smoke....regardless of its content. That's just hard to get around.

Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread