FDA seizing new shipments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewlady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Found out today one of our shipments was seized by customs at JFK in an apparent bronx cheer from the FDA to their Appellate Court loss. This isn't good...are we the only ones?

This is posted on Cherry vape's facebook page. This agency is wasting way too much of my tax dollars on this.

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
I'd love to just kick some good ole' common sense into these people. There needs to be an "outcry" by the public for these jerks overstepping their authorities. Our government wants a bunch of sheep who will just do and say as "they dictate (as in dictator).

"Dictator" = noun
1. a person(s) exercising absolute power, esp. a ruler who has absolute, unrestricted control in a government without hereditary succession.

Sound familiar? Anyone recognize any similarities here? In spite of the recent fda ruling, they do as they wish.:2c::mad:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

This is posted on Cherry vape's facebook page. This agency is wasting way too much of my tax dollars on this.

The keeper of the government budget is Congress. If each and every one of us who are U.S. citizens were to write a letter sent to our congressional representative and both of our senators, we could make a difference. Let's tell them what a difference this product has made in our life and the lives of others we know. Tell them that the FDA is wasting a terrific amount of taxpayer money fighting a losing battle in the courts and seizing products. Tell them that you don't believe that the mission of the FDA is to work to prevent smokers from being able to switch to something much safer.

They can cut the FDA's budget so that they don't have a bunch of extra money to waste on harming us.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Ronald McDonald, owner of Crown 7 e-cigarette company in Phoenix, informed me today that Customs just seized 20 boxes of his e-cigarettes (valued at $100,000). I'm trying to generate a news story. If anyone else has had their shipments seized since last month's DC Court of Appeals ruling, please contact me at smokefree@compuserve.com or 412-351-5880.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I'm not an attorney, but its my understanding the Judge Leon's ruling, which was upheld last month by the DC Court of Appeals (prohibiting the FDA from enforcing its e-cigarette import ban as the court case proceeds) only applied to Smoking Everywhere and NJOY products (since they were the two plaintiffs at the time, although SE has withdrawn from the case since then).

If other e-cigarette companies want the same protection from the court, I think that they'd need to petition to intervene in the lawsuit.

But if the FDA hasn't removed e-cigarettes from the import ban list (as appears to be the case), the agency is basically inviting other e-cigarette companies to intervene in the case, and also is making it easier for us to convince Republican members of Congress to investigate the FDA's outrageous actions against e-cigarettes.

REGGAEGEEK

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2010
West Georgia
Not surprised at all. The non-elected persons running government agencies have absolutely no respect for the limited authority given to them by their position. I am so sick of the power grab being demonstrated by the government in almost every aspect of our lives. The FDA has used bully tactics for years to prevent legitimate products from being marketed while at the same time giving the green light to pharma products that turn up 10 years later on the toxic substances list.....
blech.....blah.....FDA.....

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
There are a couple of neat tools on the web to track down the contact information for your elected represenatives.

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

U.S. Senate: Senators Home

Select your State and you are on your way.

Example of a short and sweet letter:

Dear ______________

Please tell the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to stop wasting taxpayer money on their attempts to ban electronic cigarettes as "unapproved drug-delivery devices." Two levels of the U.S. federal court system have told the FDA they cannot seize incoming shipments and that they should be regulating the products under the Tobacco Act. Yet the FDA persists in wasting our tax dollars on filing more appeals. They also continue to seize incoming shipments in defiance of the court orders. That costs money, too.

[Insert personal story here]

I smoked for 45 years and tried over and over to quit. Nothing worked, until I switched to an electronic cigarette on March 27, 2009. I have been smoke-free ever since. I have lost the wheezing that kept me awake at night, as well as the productive morning cough.

The American Association of Public Health Physicians has stated that products like the electronic cigarette could save the lives of 4 million of the 8 million U.S. smokers who would otherwise die of smoking related disease within the next 20 years. The FDA is supposed to helps save lives. Please don't allow them to kill smokers. Contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Name
Address
Phone number

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oh hell no.the fda is really overstepping on this one. More worried about tax dollars than the peoples health.

The FDA is not at all concerned about tax dollars. They don't collect taxes. They spend taxes. They are wasting our tax dollars on trying to ban e-cigarettes.

What they are concerned about is their own omnipotent power.

DivaB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2010
Ohio
Kind-of funny...not really; but I placed an order from over seas about 45 days ago now. The company has been great with tracking numbers and such and very apologetic, but the tracking just sort of stops at our coast with no further information and USPS hasn't received it yet. Makes me wonder...is it really lost or is the FDA involved some how.

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
Thank you very much for this post. I have already fired off letters to my Senators and Rep. I would suggest ALL OF US DO THIS.
I also wanted to put my money where my mouth is and have become a contributing member of CASAA. This I also would encourage ALL OF US TO DO.
Is this matter important to you? If so, then action is required - consistant action - NOW.

I want to be able to continue to "Vape On".:vapor:

There are a couple of neat tools on the web to track down the contact information for your elected represenatives.
https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
U.S. Senate: Senators Home
Select your State and you are on your way.
Example of a short and sweet letter:
Dear ______________
Please tell the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to stop wasting taxpayer money on their attempts to ban electronic cigarettes as "unapproved drug-delivery devices." Two levels of the U.S. federal court system have told the FDA they cannot seize incoming shipments and that they should be regulating the products under the Tobacco Act. Yet the FDA persists in wasting our tax dollars on filing more appeals. They also continue to seize incoming shipments in defiance of the court orders. That costs money, too.

[Insert personal story here]

The American Association of Public Health Physicians has stated that products like the electronic cigarette could save the lives of 4 million of the 8 million U.S. smokers who would otherwise die of smoking related disease within the next 20 years. The FDA is supposed to helps save lives. Please don't allow them to kill smokers. Contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Name
Address
Phone number

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
is this just a few cases or is the fda stopping/banning all imports now??

thanks

According to the OP in the other thread mentioned above;
The FDA did call back and yes my little package is being held by them. The FDA Agent said that they are holding any and all e cigarette shipments that they find. They still can legally hold them since after the verdict on Dec 7th they have so many days to appeal and try to get a stay and during this time they can still seize packages. He thought it was 50 days after the verdict but wasn't sure. They are waiting for the decision to be made by the FDA. If they appeal they will be able to stop shipments and all these shipments will be sent back to China. If they don't appeal then all these shipments will be released and sent to everyone in the U.S. They will wait for a directive from the FDA before anything is done with these packages. He said at this time they are trying to stop everything that is coming through Chicago. He didn't know if the other ports were being as diligent, but the directive was sent to all Customs, but they were and that they were holding big or small packages, it didn't matter.

So they're stopping everything they can get their hot little hands on, supplier or individual, big or small. What's worse is, unlike before they aren't sending them back if requested. Everything is getting warehoused until the FDA decides what they're going to do. :mad:

maxx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
PA, USA
www.omnimaxx.com
If the FDA is continuing to sieze or have customs sieze in violation of the court decision....isn't that contempt of court? Perhaps we shoud direct our letters to Judge Leon and those apellate justices whose orders are being violated. Judges don't like being ignored and made fool of. As far as I can tell, there is no active appeal....but rather just the FDA asking for the opportunity to file one.

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston
I too wrote my Congressman and both Senators thanks to Vocalek's excellent form letter. It really made the process sooooo much easier and to the point. Thanks Elaine!!

Everyone listen up!!
Please send your elected representatives a personalized copy of Vocalek's letter she has posted in this thread. This stepped up confiscation policy by the fDa needs to be stopped by any means necessary. :-x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread