E-cig and polypropyl glycol (PG) inhalation during pregnancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiken

Jan 28, 2010
West Virginia
I have been on e-cigs for over a year now. I have introduced several friends and aquaintances to them. One of my friends that has been using them for a while now along with his wife have found out they are expectign a child. They asked me if I knew any info on this as I read into e-cigs and their effects a lot before startign and try to keep updated on new infomation on them but I had to tell them I did not. That got me interested to find out and thought I would see what others on here might know. They also asked their doctors. As there is not lots of info or studies there were no straight 100% yes or no answers but this is what we have found. I as well as the doctors said that the nicotine would not be healthy / good for the baby as it could experience withdrawl as well as some other negative effects. Therefore if the nicotine was removed and only the PG liquid used is that an issue. There are several studies inolving animal tests that showed no ill effects on pregnant animals exposed to low to large amounts of Polypropylene Glycol over a 114 day period. We both found several instances of this.

I am curious if anyone has used their e-cigs while smoking or what if any information other people found in similar positions. Obviously the answer is why take the chance or I would stop for m baby. I am interested in the scince or facts behind it or what others have learned. This should prove to be an interesting discussion I hope.

wlp5

Jan 10, 2011
Barcelona
Aside from the obvious "why take a chance for something so important" that you stated, here's my thought. Since it's such a new thing and nobody seems to know for sure, say you were pregnant and were doing PG during. Then, something went wrong. Even if vaping had nothing to do with it in reality, wouldn't it bug you for the rest of your life ? Even for that reason, I would play it safe...

This is not meant as lecturing to you or anyone else. It was just my thought, if I was pregnant... which would be difficult since I'm man... just saying.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
I have been on e-cigs for over a year now. I have introduced several friends and aquaintances to them. One of my friends that has been using them for a while now along with his wife have found out they are expectign a child. They asked me if I knew any info on this as I read into e-cigs and their effects a lot before startign and try to keep updated on new infomation on them but I had to tell them I did not. That got me interested to find out and thought I would see what others on here might know. They also asked their doctors. As there is not lots of info or studies there were no straight 100% yes or no answers but this is what we have found. I as well as the doctors said that the nicotine would not be healthy / good for the baby as it could experience withdrawl as well as some other negative effects. Therefore if the nicotine was removed and only the PG liquid used is that an issue. There are several studies inolving animal tests that showed no ill effects on pregnant animals exposed to low to large amounts of Polypropylene Glycol over a 114 day period. We both found several instances of this.

I am curious if anyone has used their e-cigs while smoking or what if any information other people found in similar positions. Obviously the answer is why take the chance or I would stop for m baby. I am interested in the scince or facts behind it or what others have learned. This should prove to be an interesting discussion I hope.

I would suggest googling Polypropylene Glycol for a MSDS sheet (material safety data sheet). It will give you some ideas?

On a personal note. I would not risk it. Nicotine has been studied. The other ingredients in E-cigs have not been tested for human inhalation. In addition, I would be concerned with the flavorings. They are produced for ingestion and not inhalation.

Some tips on searching on toxicity of ingredients. Break down all the known compontents in the e-cig. Google each one for MSDS sheets or reliable information. Look at the toxic anaylsis related to pregnancy.

Last edited:

Draiken

Jan 28, 2010
West Virginia
Thanks for the info. I did not think to look up those data sheets. I am posting the part pertaining to my OP for reference.

Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans:​
May affect genetic material (mutagenic). May cause adverse reproductive effects and birth defects (teratogenic) based on​
animal test data.

This part was found on a 2nd MSDS which shows as conflicting. This one had much more detail pertaining to testing on pregnant animals wheras the one listed above states no such testing.

Chronic: Exposure to large doses may cause central nervous system depression. Chronic ingestion may cause lactic acidosis and possible seizures. Exposures to propylene glycol having no adverse effects on the mother should have no effect on the fetus. Birth defects are unlikely. In animal studies, propylene glycol has been shown not to interfere with reproduction

Reproductive Effects: When propylene glycol was given at 30 percent in the diet, it affected reproduction in rates in rats. It has generally not affected fertility or reproduction, except at very high doses where effects could be attributed to nutritional deficiency.

Teratogenicity: An expert panel convened by the NTP's Center for the Evaluation of Risks to Human Reproduction concluded 2/13/03 that developmental and reproductive risks stemming from exposure to the chemicals propylene glycol and ethylene glycol are negligible.

This shows and good information I believ eon PG itself not being an issue. The other ingredients use dinthe flavorings are the the next step. Not sure how I can break those down. I am going to try to look for specific ingredient info on them. The reading and information I have found already is quite interesting and it seems extensive research has been done however primarily in the ingestion area more than inhalation.

With more searching I found this situation had been discussed before. I am listing the link here

Forum heading Can E-Cigarettes be more dangerous than normal ones for pregnant women?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...angerous-than-normal-ones-pregnant-women.html

Last edited:

Draiken

Jan 28, 2010
West Virginia
Due to the research of independent studies and the MSDS I have found that due to the flavorings and chemical compositions that we know and do not know about in all the juices it is unsafe to smoke while pregnant. There is not enough long term studies to show it is safe and more evidence from studies listed in the links I provided and self research tha thsow sit could cause harmful effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread