15 Tips to get the most out of your e-cig juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
hey everybody, for more articles like this check out our blog eCigology - The Science of E-Cigs
juicebootle.jpg
Chances are you have already learned some of these tips through experience, but some may surprise you. This is a list compiled from experience and opinion aimed at helping anyone get along with their juice.

1. Let your juice "steep" for at least 3 to 10 days.

Steeping is one of those things you may be skeptical about, but in my experience it actually does work for a lot of juices. You will notice on some juices that after a few days the color will darken, and it often times seems to marry flavors together producing a better tasting juice. Something probably has to do with the nicotine oxidizing, but other than that we don't know why this phenomenon happens. If your juice tastes weird right off the bat, give it some time to change, chances are, it will.

2. Shake your bottle of juice up every once and a while

This will ensure that you are getting all the flavors evenly at all times.

3. Buy pure VG or PG with nicotine to cut your liquids

Something that I do quite often is cut my liquids with pure VG with nicotine in it to make strong flavored juices last longer. The VG always adds a little boost to the vapor as well. If your PG or VG has a lower amount of nicotine in it you can add it to cut down the nicotine strength as well if the juice is too harsh.

4. If you need more throat hit....

Try adding pure grain alcohol like everclear, this is something that is known to provide additional throat hit. Start by adding just a drop or two and move up from there, you don't want to over-do it though! Cinnamon and menthol flavored juices are also known to give more throat hit. More nicotine also increases the throat hit. PG is also said to give more throat hit than VG.

5. Dark juice is thought to gum up your atomizer more than a light or clear colored juice

If you use a lot of dark juice, you may be gumming up your atomizers pretty quickly, make sure to clean out your atomizers regularly if the draw or taste changes.

6. Juices from different vendors come in different viscosities

VG is thicker and PG is thinner, but some companies make their VG runny by adding distilled water. VG makes more vapor but is not as sweet, PG makes less vapor but tends to hold more flavor. Experiment with different ratios to find your happy place.

7. Some people say to store your juice in a dark place

It makes sense, right? A lot of liquid solitions are stored in dark places because light can cause problems, if anything this could change the flavor of the juice and is more of a "Better safe than sorry".

8. Experiment by buying sampler packs from as many vendors as possible

This will not only tell you who makes juice you like, it will help you quickly figure out what flavors you tend to love.

9. Avoid juices with diacetyl

This is commonly found in "buttery" flavorings and is known to cause lung damage when inhaled.

10. Certain flavors stay in your atomizer for a long time

These may include cinnamon, fruit flavors, cola, and some menthols. If you notice these flavors carrying over, you can wait it out or you can clean your atomizer.

11. Don't be afraid of experimenting with flavors

You will be surprised at what actually tastes good sometimes. I have found that more often than not, flavors I was not too eager to try ended up being a favorite.

12. Try not to flood your atomizer or overfill your cartridges

This typically results in leaking and also barely any vapor. It may cause you to think that your atomizer is not performing well, but thats not the case. You can remove excess juice by removing your cartridge and holding your e-cig by the battery, flick it towards the ground to throw the juice out.

13. Nasty burnt taste when you are vaping?

You are probably letting the atomizer get too dry. Its not the juice, its the atomizer, and it needs to be cleaned. If cleaning does not help, remove the wick inside with a pair of tweezers. Dont worry, removing the wick does not make a huge difference in performance, especially if you like to drip.

14. Have a variety of flavors on hand

Chances are if you vape something for a while you will get sick of it, keep rotating, like fresh underwear.

15. Dont let your juice anywhere near children or pets, the stuff smells good and even a fraction of a bottle with nicotine is enough to cause OD.

Let me know what you guys think, and as always, if you have anything to contribute, please make a reply!

Rudy33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
good list.

How do you know if diacetyl is used? I love caramel, waffle, french toast - hmmm now I am worried.

Another thing - the step where you flick your atomizer to get the juice out - turn your face away - I got juice in my eye one time doing just that and let me tell you - it hurt alot. be very careful.

AlmightyGod

My friends call me A.G.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2010
Vaping Heaven
good list.

How do you know if diacetyl is used? I love caramel, waffle, french toast - hmmm now I am worried.

Another thing - the step where you flick your atomizer to get the juice out - turn your face away - I got juice in my eye one time doing just that and let me tell you - it hurt alot. be very careful.

It is found in a lot of Flavourart flavorings.

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
Great list! Thanks for posting.

BTW...VG is sweeter...

It seems that VG is sweet in the aftertaste but I generally notice PG juices taste sweeter in the same flavor as a VG one because of the way it holds the flavors, I was just trying to use a generalism. Good point though, Ill put that in there.

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
good list.

You can contact any vendors and they should be more than willing to tell you. Also, some sites list the ingredients and some even put them on the bottle. But I would send an email... Somewhere in the forum I remember seeing a list of diacetyl free vendors...

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
good list.

Hey, thats a good way to absorb the nicotine quickly, +1 for creativity =) j/k

ImJustAvg

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Some flavors do break down in UV light so although storing it in a dark place is recommended, NOT storing it on a window sill is advisable.

I have also found that if you really get a nasty tasting flavor that you hate and have tried everything to improve it, try freezing it for several days and then let it slowly thaw out in the refrigerator. It does change the taste drastically for some reason.

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
I have also found that if you really get a nasty tasting flavor that you hate and have tried everything to improve it, try freezing it for several days and then let it slowly thaw out in the refrigerator. It does change the taste drastically for some reason.

That is really interesting, Im going to have to try that if anything goes bad. How did you figure to do that?

zadane

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Seattle Washington, United States
good list.

I've had this happen, tell you what; I've never ran to the bathroom quicker. Got my eye right under the sink. it hurt like all hell, I was sure I was going to be blind after that

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
Great tips!

Just wanted to add my experience about TH. I have tried a couples additives as well as the vodka. It produces more of a high intensity burn than a smooth feeling you get from the nic.

Some more experienced vapers are also screaming about the type of PV used. There is an immense difference between PVs and for me, changing PVs has made all the difference in the world. I am using about 1/2 the juice and can easily use 18mg instead of a very lightly diluted 36mg. Just my .02

When I get my 5v device I am hoping to be able to squeak by with 12 mg. Fingers crossed.

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
Great tips!

Just wanted to add my experience about TH. I have tried a couples additives as well as the vodka. It produces more of a high intensity burn than a smooth feeling you get from the nic.

Some more experienced vapers are also screaming about the type of PV used. There is an immense difference between PVs and for me, changing PVs has made all the difference in the world. I am using about 1/2 the juice and can easily use 18mg instead of a very lightly diluted 36mg. Just my .02

When I get my 5v device I am hoping to be able to squeak by with 12 mg. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Throatkick, good name too. The different PV's do effect the way juice goes, this is very true. One thing I noticed is that when switching down in nicotine (I am down to 12 now) It sucks at first. It takes like a week to adjust, but once that time has gone by its cool.... Now when I vape 24mg, I want to pass out after about 14 puffs or so.... You acclimate =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread