Vaping in a hospital bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
Anyone unfortunate enough to be stuck in a hospital bed for a few days; and fortunate enough to be allowed to vape while there?

Monday, the 24th I will undergo surgery to remove a tumor on my kidney, and probably be in the hospital until Thursday. I am planning on having my wife bring my PV to the room when I am out of recovery, and vaping at first "need" and opportunity.

Anyone else give this a try? What are the odds the nurses and doctors "allow" vaping? Of course I can stealth vape, but that is a pain and sometimes you get caught. Plus, having a battery charger and a couple AW 18650 batteries on it may be a give away.

So, any input would be welcome.

Of course once I get out I will post here and let you know what happened.

Jag

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
Depends on the hospital. I have seen people vape in their bed and in their room at the hospital. So take your stuff and see what happens! good luck on your surgery, and on vaping while you recover.

If there is a problem have your doc write an order allowing you to vape because the stress of not getting your nic can affect your recovery.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
There's been quite a few reports here on ECF of people being openly allowed to vape while in the hospital. Different hospitals and doctors are going to give different opinions, so there's no way to know how your hospital is going to feel about it. Does your doctor know you vape ? If so, and supports your vaping, that's a really good start. Good Luck!!!

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
Good - Fast - Cheap
Pick any two....

Love the signature, as a repair station manager, I use this frequently. Then I tell them Good is always selected, pick the other one.

My surgeon isn't my regular doc, and I didn't tell him the first and only time we met, smoking didn't come up at all. I will talk with him before the surgery, they said "have any questions ready" and that will be one of them. He seems like a good guy, but you never know.

I plan to stealth vape if nothing else, but to be allowed to vape openly would be the cat's meow, so to speak...

Jag :vapor:

reverendg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2010
washington USA
www.themadvaper.com
I ended up in a hospital last year, when I was fairly new to vape'ing. My doctors and all of the nurses were fine with my vape'ing, and there were a lot of questions and curious people. So be prepared to be a demonstration for the staff to see.
The only time they had an issue with me vape'ing was when they had to give me a roommate on oxygen . The told me that I could sit on the bench in the hallway just outside my room, but they couldn't take any chances around oxygen. Hope that helps . Hope you heal quickly.

DEnd

Jan 17, 2011
USA
It would not be allowed in my hospital. Anything that uses resistance heat is not allowed in patient areas (unless of course it is hospital grade equipment), due to the possibility of oxygen leaks. Also use of tobacco products is prohibited there, due to the recent court ruling with the FDA then it would be considered a tobacco product. Also the charging equipment would need to be UL listed, if there isn't a UL tag or stamp then it would not be allowed to be plugged into the hospital power supply (all electrical equipment must be inspected by maintence before being plugged in). That said be sure to talk to your doctor about your vaping at least a day or two before your surgery, as there may be side effects or contraindications for anesthesia (I'm just now learning about anesthesia so I can't tell you for sure). Also if Vaping isn't allowed then the doctor can perscribe you an appropriate nicotine patch. Knowing how much you typically vape and the nicotine content of you juice will give them a better idea (than with smokers) on which patch to perscribe. Do not Vape while you are on the patch. If they tell you that you cannot Vape don't "stealth" vape. Actually knowing some of the side effects of vaping I'd say it isn't a great Idea untill you have good strong bowel sounds, as vaping can lead to ........ causing material that is in the process of digestion to loosen and move before peristalsis returns (which is not a good thing). Now there are no studies that I know of to prove or disprove that, but it is a possibility, and until more studies are done I would recommend against it, especially considering the surgery you are about to have.

All that said talk to your surgeon about it, be sure to mention that ........ seems to be a known side effect of vaping in some people, and see what he/she has to say about it. I am by no means an expert, or a medical professional.

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
All that said talk to your surgeon about it, be sure to mention that ........ seems to be a known side effect of vaping in some people, and see what he/she has to say about it. I am by no means an expert, or a medical professional.

Although ........ is a common side effect, it has never been an issue with me. Regular? Yes. Excess? No. That and the fact that I have to stop all solid foods, drink lots of water and take GoLYTELY two days before surgery, I doubt I will have anything "in the process of digestion".

I will ask my doctor and respect his opinion. If he has sound reasons to stop nicotine I will not vape, or use a patch, gum, inhaler, etc. If it is a "no" for no good reason besides what it looks like, then stealth vaping may commence. My wife can charge batteries each night, so besides having a strange looking wood box in my room, I see no problems.

Happy vapor trails,
Jag :vapor:

VprNomi

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
WI
How is the nicotine delivered by vaping any different than that delivered by a patch aside from the fact that the user controls the amount and frequency by which the drug is delivered with a PV, to best suit their needs? If one is a "tobacco product" because it contains nicotine, then so is the other (using common sense if not by law). I would say if the doc says no vaping but would be ok with ordering nicotine patches, then obviously nicotine isn't the problem and I'd be stealth vaping.

It would not be allowed in my hospital. Anything that uses resistance heat is not allowed in patient areas (unless of course it is hospital grade equipment), due to the possibility of oxygen leaks. Also use of tobacco products is prohibited there, due to the recent court ruling with the FDA then it would be considered a tobacco product. Also the charging equipment would need to be UL listed, if there isn't a UL tag or stamp then it would not be allowed to be plugged into the hospital power supply (all electrical equipment must be inspected by maintence before being plugged in). That said be sure to talk to your doctor about your vaping at least a day or two before your surgery, as there may be side effects or contraindications for anesthesia (I'm just now learning about anesthesia so I can't tell you for sure). Also if Vaping isn't allowed then the doctor can perscribe you an appropriate nicotine patch. Knowing how much you typically vape and the nicotine content of you juice will give them a better idea (than with smokers) on which patch to perscribe. Do not Vape while you are on the patch. If they tell you that you cannot Vape don't "stealth" vape. Actually knowing some of the side effects of vaping I'd say it isn't a great Idea untill you have good strong bowel sounds, as vaping can lead to ........ causing material that is in the process of digestion to loosen and move before peristalsis returns (which is not a good thing). Now there are no studies that I know of to prove or disprove that, but it is a possibility, and until more studies are done I would recommend against it, especially considering the surgery you are about to have.

jplanet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
NJ
Hydration is very important to recovery, and vaping is very dehydrating, so remember to drink plenty of water! That's especially important for kidney issues. Also, nicotine constricts blood flow into the kidneys, so if you can reduce your nic, that would not be a bad thing...I'm a caregiver for a kidney transplant recipient, so I got to know a lot about that...

Now that I read this, I realize I would never be allowed to vape openly in any hospital in NJ, since vaping is banned in public buildings and workplaces here...

Last edited:

pastrybiz

Apr 23, 2010
texas
Smoking was killing me; my lungs are now clear, more energy and anxiety gone. I'm sorry the NJ legislature is ignorant of the benefits of E cigarettes. How something that is saving lives can be banned is just plain wrong. I vape everywhere except when I feel I would be a source of attention such as a movie theatre or busy restaurant. I have vaped in hospitals no problem. My doctor tells his other patients about my ecig and is glad I no longer get pneumonia. I'm sure glad I live in Texas for a lot of reasons and less regulations for most things are a benefit to my personal freedoms.

merlin440

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
ohio
Yep, just left the hospital 5 days in, 3 days on oxygen, mind you I didnt grab it while a nurse or doc was in the room unless they asked for a demo, but i left it on my rollar table and everyone asked about it.

it honestly was great only because the last time i was in the hospital you could smoke in the little waiting areas on each floor and if you were bedridden no one questioned it if you smoked at bed.

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
Made it out alive. I did vape, but not too much.

Mostly because I felt like hell and didn't really want to. When I did feel like vaping I did, just not in front of the staff. Don't ask don't tell? Left my PV out the whole time and saw some of the nurses look at it, but no one asked.

All will be find in due time. Thanks for the support,
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread