How much does it cost, on average, to smoke e-cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm waiting for my starter kit to arrive, I realized I haven't seen much info on how much money it costs to smoke e-cigaretes, on average.
I saw one post where the writer mentioned that the e-liquid alone averages $3 (per pack, approx. half what a pack of analogs cost).

I'm curious what others might be averaging.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Depends. You can spend a lot more than you would spend on cigarettes if you make vaping a hobby.

Or, if saving money is more your objective ... I've seen some people claim as little as $20-30 a month (after acquiring the essential hardware).

I have averaged a lot more than $30 a month. Sounds like it is really what you want to spend, how much it becomes a hobby & obsession.

afrazier5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
For myself I spent about $200 to start up with all my 501 related equipment (including yesterday's purchases). This got me 4 attys, 8 batteries, 25 carts, PCC, 2 wall chargers, 6x3ml juice and a 15ml juice...oh and some extra empty bottles for personal mixing. I've since picked up a bunch more liquid...2x30ml, 2x10ml, 6 more 3ml samples and 2 more orders en route this week that I can't remember even what it is. All in all probably about $300. But this is really just to start up and sample all the different flavors until I find my 'go to' juices.

In the end once I'm set up with the core stuff I need, I've budgeted overall for about $30-40 per month for juice and attys. I was spending about $180/month on analogs at 1 PAD. But even if you spend nearly the same, look at the other savings you will have in your health, odor and reputation.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
If you're only considering the cost of juice (no expensive pre-filled need apply:)) I average about
3 mL use a day at about $0.50 per mL so about $45 a month (vs $335 for cigs).

Starting out the cost of your initial equipment will run high, at least until you find what type
batteries, atty, carto, voltage is the right vape for you. And there is no perfect single answer
for every vaper, some like hotter vapor, some demand ease of use, some great vapor, others
great flavor. When you find the combination of equipment that you like, the cost drops from
lack of new experiments. :vapor:

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
When you find the combination of equipment that you like, the cost drops from
lack of new experiments. :vapor:
I feel it should be added that most vaper's taste in that equipment changes over time. i.e., from a cigarette replica, to a big batt like eGo, to perhaps a mod. But, that's the experimentation ... almost nobody finds their ideal PV from the get-go.
Also to be considered, beyond juice, is that neither batteries nor atomizers last forever and must periodically be replaced. They're part of the cost of vaping, even given a great PV.

toriL

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Virginia, USA
Well, it depends.

I think if you have your hardware, you'll probably then just need from 1ml to 3ml of juice a day. If you are dripping you won't have the extra costs of cartomizers and then your cost is around $1 to $3 per day. If you are using a KR808D or similar and use cartomizers (pack of 5 for $7.50-10 - refilling for at least 2 days) will add .75 to $1 to that amount. I think it will still be cheaper than a pack of cigarettes per day.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
..... But, that's the experimentation ... almost nobody finds their ideal PV from the get-go.
Also to be considered, beyond juice, is that neither batteries nor atomizers last forever and must periodically be replaced. They're part of the cost of vaping, even given a great PV.

LOL absolutely, but after about 6 months of chasing MY perfect vape, I probally have enough atty, carto, and batteries to last me another 6 months to maybe a year...:laugh:

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
It depends on your vaping habits and how many ML per day you vape. So far I have been vaping 3-4 Ml per day. A 30 ML bottles costs an average of $15. So a rough estimate is around $800 per year in juice compared to $3500 per year I was spending to smoke. It's about $2-3 per pack as opposed to $9.50 per pack, yes NYS taxes suck.

Not sure what other equipment will average out to yet, but I am guessing it's nowhere close the the $2700 difference.
So even with vaping, I gave myself a very nice raise this year. :)

Last edited:

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Quite a few people have done an analysis on this.. and generally speaking we tend to come to the same conclusions.

Not counting "experiments" and the hobby aspect of it... if you just look at the cost of liquid, replacement atomizers/cartomizers, and amortized cost of batteries.... it usually comes out to about 1/3 the cost of smoking traditional cigarettes.

YMMV

JudgeVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
D.C./Maryland
After an initial investment, mostly in just finding some juices you really like and can buy larger supplies of, and assuming you don't spend lots of money constantly chasing the latest mods/PVs and only replace juice and parts that wear out (atomizers, etc.), my rough calculations would seem to indicate that vaping could only cost about a third of smoking analogs.

My math may be faulty though. :)

The key is to make sure you have a good brand of ecigs to begin with, or you will get too frustrated with battery life, always having to charge much more often, and carts running out only after 20 puffs or so.

There are so many good ones, so you may want to read the reviews to see which ones are the best (battery life, best carts, atty's, juice suppliers, etc..)

MY advice (although I'm a newbie so there is surely better advice then mine..lol) is:

-Get a bigger ecig that has a bigger battery volt. I have the Inferno by Volcanoecigs.com They come with a 650 mah, and a 1000 mah (both lasts up to 2 days after ONE full charge). ;) And the 650mah is also a passthrough USB (how great is that?) ;)

-The bigger the ecig (length, size, etc), the more it will last--and most likely be able to withhold much more juice. ;) Although some do require constant dripping into atty's (if you are NOT using carts), then you might be using much more juice more quickly...just saying..;) Although drip tips are very nice---but do be warned...dripping must be more constant. ;)

-You're best bet is to order any ecigs from a company that has warrenty coverage--like Volcanoecigs. They have a 1 year warrenty...which is a good thing since I now Own TWO Inferno kits.;)

-Yes, as above, you may want to invest more then one kit---for any backups (incase one kit dies, gets ruined, or breaks for some reason)...you will then have another kit for backup. ;)

-I buy 30ml ejuice, so because I'm not 100% vaping (yet--still trying to get fully off analogs), until then...I only use about3-5 drops of ejuice in my carts and I don't use them that often unless I'm vaping 0 nicotine in between real ciggs..(for now)..

-Buying blank carts and at least 2-4 bottles of 30ml (or more) from certain companies is the best way to go...since you can always refill, clean, and ejuice will last you. ;)

Hope this helps some...;)

jtpjc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
There is no scientific one on one relationship between smoking and vaping. You can't say: I smoke this much, therefore I need that much vaping and therefore that much vape stuff. Reason: we are human, which in real life means we aren't scientific and certainly not rational. That's why we keep buying all this e-stuff. Because, hey, it's a hobby. Who cares what it costs? We're in it for the fun!

Last edited:

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
If I spend less than $250 a month AND get some lung back I will consider it a huge success for me, let alone the smell. I smoke analogs and hate the smell of the van or my garage. I have to turn on my ozone machine now and then to get rid of the smell. Man this waiting is going to drive me nuts...

afrazier5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If I spend less than $250 a month AND get some lung back I will consider it a huge success for me, let alone the smell. I smoke analogs and hate the smell of the van or my garage. I have to turn on my ozone machine now and then to get rid of the smell. Man this waiting is going to drive me nuts...

I agree with this one! My truck reeks now of smoke and now that the snow has melted in the yard, there are butts all over the place. Really now understand what the family has put up with over the years.

sweetblackkitten

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2011
indiana
i have spent over $200 this month so far...but i didnt stay w the company i started with...i have enough stuff now though (batts and cartos) to last me through february, plus i got my mom started, and her covered w a few batts and enough cartos until she gets paid on the third...

i spent anywhere b/t $150 and $200 a month on analogs. if i have amassed what i think i have as listed above, thats $450 worth of analogs taken care of for half that with e cigs. (2 months cost of my smoking, plus 2 weeks of my mom's). now this does hinge on the fact that the V4L cartos are lasting us a day each. each carto equals a pack for us, and i just got a bunch cheaply thru the classifieds...

plus there are constantly sales at V4L, constantly. and classifieds and swaps. and plenty of noobs arriving daily to buy the stuff i dont want (perfectly good black batts w green LEDs, i do not mean anything broken or sub par)

i am pretty sure cancer is coming for me. it may already be here, thats another blog its own....but if i can get a few more good years....i cant put a price on that man....or my mom being able to possibly play w her grandkids...

1 carto per day will be roughly $70 a month. add 2 batts, or one batt and another accessory, and i can still do this for $100 a month....thats max...thats w/out sales and/or classifieds...or refilling, which can also cut some cost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread