Status
Not open for further replies.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
How long does it take these things to dry? Is there a trick?

I decided to try to wash a couple of my boge cartomizers. I used the syringe method that someone posted about. They've been sitting.. and sitting..and sitting. Like three days and they still aren't dry. I tried one and it's a soggy mess. I tried using a blow dryer, that's about as tech savy as I get. I read about putting them in a baggy with some rice but that didn't seem to help. Actually, I think it's been longer than 3 days.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks!

attymiser

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2009
New York
Get a piece of paper towel. Rip into half. Rip one half into thirds. Take one third and fold it in half. Roll this piece into the shape of a straw for lack of a better description. Do not make it thicker than the cartomizers diameter.

Remove the endcap of the cartomizer and insert the paper towel roll into the cartomizer until the paper towel makes contact with the poly fill. Do not twist the towel. Stand the paper towel up in a glass with the cartomizer at the top. Within an hour or so the paper towel will draw all the moisture from the cart. This works on drying 510 attys in about 15 minutes.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
How long does it take these things to dry? Is there a trick?

I decided to try to wash a couple of my boge cartomizers. I used the syringe method that someone posted about. They've been sitting.. and sitting..and sitting. Like three days and they still aren't dry. I tried one and it's a soggy mess. I tried using a blow dryer, that's about as tech savy as I get. I read about putting them in a baggy with some rice but that didn't seem to help. Actually, I think it's been longer than 3 days.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks!

Did you do the dry pumps to pump out all the excess water after you cleaned them using the syringe and rubber cone? If you do that, it takes about 3 days for them to dry completely inside (and that's when they're sitting in front of a fan). But the best way is, as others have stated, put them on a flat pan in the oven at about 220 degrees for a few minutes (I left mine in for about 1/2 hour, cuz I forgot they were in the oven), and that should dry them completely -- and it won't hurt the cartos.

If I were you, I'd flush them out again with hot tap water and then be sure to push air through each carto about 20 times each. Then place them in the oven on a flat pan for a few minutes. That would be much quicker and easier than messing around with pushing a paper towel into the end of each carto. You wanna come up with the more common sense ways that are less time-consuming.

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
Imo you dont need to dry them.

I cleaned and refilled maybe 50 carto's and I never dried them and they were perfectly fine.

The trick is to flick out the excess water over a sink, and blow into both ends. Once 95% of the water is gone, the remaining 5% will be vaporized anyway.

There is already water added in eJuice, an extra few percent shouldn't affect the flavor or performance.

If you still run into problems, perhaps give the Edition2 carto's a try. There is no filler material so they dry almost instantly.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
Blowing, flicking, or spinning out the excess water didn't do it for me. If I vape cartos that aren't completely dry, I'll end up with water on my tongue and have to keep using tissues to wipe the water out of my mouth. Using the oven for a few minutes at a low setting is the quickest and easiest way to dry cartos completely, providing you've pushed air through the fillers first to remove the excess water (that is, if you decide to even mess around with cleaning cartos in the first place, which is a waste of time, in my opinion, because after they've been refilled and vaped a few times, they're too worn out to try to clean -- and they're cheap to begin with, so why not just buy new cartos -- or better yet, just drip into an atomizer and get better flavor, more vapor, less hassles, and save money).

juicejunky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
gone
Get one of those rubber tip e-cig lanyards and attach the battery side of the cartomizer with the mouth piece facing out with no cap and take it outside and give it a good spin. 98% of the water will come out and you can use them almost immediately.

If you have to do it indoors, put a condom on it to catch the water so you don't spray your walls.

Here is a link to what one looks like. Its at the bottom of the page. There are other places that sell them but this is the first that came up on google.

Electronic Cigarette Accessories

$8.95 is way overpriced for a rubber tip, but seems to be the going price. They are also useful for filling, you just put the cartomizer on mouth piece attached and it moves the juice down.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
An old sock will do the same thing you mentioned, juicejunky. And it's free.

By the way, about 46.7% of the water stays in the filler after spinning or blowing the excess water out, not 2%. That's why using an oven is the easiest and quickest way to dry cartos. There's just no effort required in doing it that way. Using the oven works the best, with no damage to the cartos, and gets the filler completely dry, as opposed to the filler still being damp or wet.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I did put them in the oven and they seem dry. I'll give them a couple days.

I'm a little grossed out by the mold thing. The reason I decided to wash them was because I didn't know if it was a good idea if they sat around with juice in them not being used.

Plus I used some to test juice I'm not so crazy about. Someday if I ever learn to drip properly I won't waste cartomizers.

Thanks all!

juicejunky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
gone
An old sock will do the same thing you mentioned, juicejunky. And it's free.

By the way, about 46.7% of the water stays in the filler after spinning or blowing the excess water out, not 2%. That's why using an oven is the easiest and quickest way to dry cartos. There's just no effort required in doing it that way. Using the oven works the best, with no damage to the cartos, and gets the filler completely dry, as opposed to the filler still being damp or wet.

How does the sock keep the cartomizer pointing directly outwards as you spin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread