Flavouring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonamigo

Jan 3, 2011
Dublin
Hey vapers, i need your help...again!:)
I've bought some DIY stuff from FA and tried to make some nice liquids but i'm getting some problems with flavorings. So here is what i did:
Mixed 80%pg with 20%vg, 16mg nicotine, added a few drops of flavorings in 5 different bottles (hazelnuts, banana, melon, vanilla and mangostene) but couldn't taste any of them. Maybe just a little bit. FA's website suggests to use up to 4% of fruit flavouring. Some video reviews of their flavourings i've seen also say it is very powerful and only one or two drops are needed per 5ml. So i kept adding the flavor until i stopped at around 15%, let it steep for 3 days and still theres veeeeeeery little of flavor. But when i tried to add just 2(!) drops of melon to my tea the smell and taste was very strong! How is this possible? I can perfectly taste just 2 drops in 330ml of tea but can't taste it in just 5ml of e-liquid?
How much per ml do you use FA's flavourings?

P.S. if it helps i'm using Ego with 510LR atty.
Thanks in advance!

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
FA is usually pretty strong. a few things. How long have you been vaping? Mosty of us go through a "no flavor" zone at around the 4 to 6 week mark and this lasts for about 24 to 36 hours. Anyone who has hit this wall will tell you that no juice tastes good during this period. It quickly passes though. If that is not the case you may be like me. I have found DIY sauce without a sweetner tastes flat and seems to be missing something. For FA flavors I mix at between 6 to 10% and ALWAYS add about 1% sweetner. I use Sucralose for non tobacco flavors and Ethyl Malto for the Tobacco flavor based sauces. Hope this helps.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Thanks for fast reply. I've been off smokes for one month now. Weird thing is i can perfectly taste other liquids, especially Halo ones-love them, torque 56 is my favorite now. It seems i have this problem only with DIY juice. Maybe i just didn't give the flavors a chance to fully appear? Maybe they need to steep more?

Steeping may help but I bet the sweetner will do more for you then. Actually try this take some torque 56 and place a tiny bit in your finger. touch it to your tongue and you will taste that it does havea sweetnees to it. I have Halo products and just did it so my bet is you are lacking some sweetnes in your DIY and that is what is making it seem off to you. Best of luck and when you do get it right its magical plus you save a ton of $$$.

LindyLou

Aug 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
You said you used a "few" drops per 5 ml bottle. How much is a few? From my calculations I get 8 drops with 4% flavoring for 5 ml. You might try going a lower percentage on flavoring, try it, if it's not good, bump it up slowly, a drop at a time until you get to where you like it.
I'd also try mixing one flavor at a time so your taste buds aren't overwhelmed.
I don't know about steeping. My flavors might have a slight change after a few days, but I'm not sure if that's just not because my taste buds were over worked when I was mixing.
Good luck and happy vaping and mixing!

LindyLou

Aug 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Steeping may help but I bet the sweetner will do more for you then. Actually try this take some torque 56 and place a tiny bit in your finger. touch it to your tongue and you will taste that it does havea sweetnees to it. I have Halo products and just did it so my bet is you are lacking some sweetnes in your DIY and that is what is making it seem off to you. Best of luck and when you do get it right its magical plus you save a ton of $$$.

EXACTLY! I add Cotton Candy flavor (just a few drops) to almost all my mixes.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
I use 15 to 20% of FlavourArt flavorings. I also don't add any sweeteners (tried ethyl maltol and vape wizard and hated both).

Keep in mind that 1mL of flavoring can range from 20 to almost 40 drops, depending on the size of the opening in the dropper cap.

I'd suggest using Breaktru's eJuice Me Up calculator.

eJuice Me Up - e-Juice e-Liquid Recipe Calculator

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
I'm not following your mixing procedure. (trying to wrap my brain around this..). You said you mixed 80% pg with 20%vg , PLUS 16 mg nic , PLUS a few drops... Am I reading that correctly?
How much nic juice are you adding? What is the base of the nic?

What size bottle? Was it 6ml? For a 6 ml bottle: I normally add roughly:
1/3 of 50mg nic PG base
Bit more pg
20-25 drops flavor
1/3 VG

That puts me around 18-20mg nic and 20% flavor

(FA flavors tend to run stronger tho, so you may want to shoot for 10%)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
I'm not following your mixing procedure. (trying to wrap my brain around this..). You said you mixed 80% pg with 20%vg , PLUS 16 mg nic , PLUS a few drops... Am I reading that correctly?
How much nic juice are you adding? What is the base of the nic?

What size bottle? Was it 6ml? For a 6 ml bottle: I normally add roughly:
1/3 of 50mg nic PG base
Bit more pg
20-25 drops flavor
1/3 VG

That puts me around 18-20mg nic and 20% flavor

(FA flavors tend to run stronger tho, so you may want to shoot for 10%)

1/3 of 50 is 16.67, so your nic content would be 16.67mg (if your PG and flavorings equal 1/3 of the 6mL - otherwise, you're making less than 6mL).

20-25 drops of flavor is more like 1mL or possibly a little less, so that would be about 16.67% flavor (if you're making 6mL, that is).

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Non: ok, good. I was trying to see where the nic was figuring into the equation.
Glad you can taste your flavors now.

1/3 of 50 is 16.67, so your nic content would be 16.67mg (if your PG and flavorings equal 1/3 of the 6mL - otherwise, you're making less than 6mL).

20-25 drops of flavor is more like 1mL or possibly a little less, so that would be about 16.67% flavor (if you're making 6mL, that is).

Ok I did it too. Point taken.

I am NOT exact when I mix. I round everything too.
In actuality, I put in more nic than one third (it's somewhere between one third and one half. I also use a dropper than has bigger drops than the average pipette. Most of the time I lose track while counting too. However, if you've ever tried my diy, you would know that I vape my liquids with a lot more than the average flavor base.
:p

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
I use 15 to 20% of FlavourArt flavorings. I also don't add any sweeteners (tried ethyl maltol and vape wizard and hated both).

There are other types of sweetners.. you might want to try some of them (the vape wizard isnt actually a sweetner, it's supposed to add 'vapor' and can weaken the flavors if you add too much) The sweetners I've run across are: EM, cotton candy (just the diluted EM), marshmallow, sucralose, honey.. and I'm sure there are others.

personally, I don't care for the sucralose. I think it's too sweet. I like to use just a little EM if I want to sweeten something.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
Yea, I know that Vape Wizard isn't a sweetener. I tried it to see if it was anything I wanted to use (actually, while experimenting when duplicating the FSUSA juices that I use all the time) -- and decided I didn't need it (that is, decided that FSUSA doesn't use any additives, sweeteners, etc -- and also found out from the owner that they don't add anything besides PG, VG, flavorings, and nicotine liquid).

I usually don't add sweeteners to anything, so I doubt that I'll add any to my e-liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread