Status
Not open for further replies.

MissVapor

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
Vapin Hot Florida
Info I found on wrongdiagnosis dot com

Symptoms of Chemical poisoning - Propylene Glycol

The list of signs and symptoms mentioned in various sources for Chemical poisoning - Propylene Glycol includes the 10 symptoms listed below:

I also found other sites claiming pg causes heart, kidney and liver damage, chest pains.. (The reason I posted this is b/c I was trying to figure out why my eyes were red.)

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Also... does it mention where you found these symptoms if it is for drinking PG?

I personally have not had any of these symptoms. I have heard around here that the PG inhalation allergic reaction does often include a patch of hives. Not to say that everyone will get hives...

However, one thing I have learned is that while the Internet is a fabulous place to do some research on what might be wrong with you, it can also freak you out a bit.

My suggestion: Order some VG and suck on that for awhile. Also, depending on where you are, it is spring and now that you may or may not have that cloud of second hand smoke floating around your head killing off allergies... you MAY be getting allergies now.

I am NOT a doctor... so take my love for what it is worth ;)

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
You would have to actually ingest the propylene glycol, seriously. It takes more than a few drops an hour to poison a person. I would not be conerned in the least bit about propylene glycol. In fact, I believe that it was originally produced to be used as an engine coolant that IS NOT POISONOUS...unless of course you decide to eat/drink it on a daily basis in actually measurable quantities...then yes, then you could hurt your liver and the such. However, think of how much you use in a day...On my heaviest day I have only vaped 1 mL...my husband on his heaviest day has vaped only 1.5 mL. On a normal day, it takes me almost a month to vape 10 mL. Also, you are exhaling a large percentage of that propylene glycol every time you vape as well, do you see the vapor? That's the propylene glycol that produces the visible vapor. Also, if it was such a concern, they would not use Propylene glycol in fog machines (because one standing in front of a fog machine would be breathing in quite literally a gallon or more)...so fog machines would be lethal...and that's not the case. And once again, stating the obvious...any ONE of the 4,000+ chemicals in a burning cigarette are far more lethal than propylene glycol... :) Just my opinion

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
few drops an hour .... hmm knew i was going wrong some were ...

LOL...I'm talking about one of those days where the vaping is uber heavenly (new flavor, new atomizer, new battery)...when you can't put it down. Or at night, when I'm perusing the forums, everybody is talking about vaping...dangit...dead battery....nah, j/k j/k. LOL...I need to put my computer in a sealed room and just fog the place! ROFLMAO. I'm totally kidding of course!

Doc

Apr 25, 2009
Gainesville, FL
I would agree with all of the helpful people on this thread. Propylene glycol is harmless except for minor irritation as used here. Don't drink it, try not to swallow it if you cart leaks and wash your hands before touching your eyes or other mucous membranes.

In the vaporized form, most of it is exhaled. The amount you drip will not equal the amount absorbed or left on your respiratory membranes.

Last edited:

Momof3

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Midwest, USA
You can get vegetable glycerin at most health food stores. You can buy glycerin that can be used (not sure if it's vegetable or not) at many cake or candy making stores or stores that carry those kinds of items. Hobby Lobby, Michael's, some Wal-Marts (with candy/cake making supplies usually in crafts), call a few and ask.

As to PG poisoning....

I just took a shower. My shampoo has PG in it. My conditioner has PG in it. My face scrub has PG in it. My body wash has PG in it. The lotion I used after has PG in it. After I brushed, I used mouthwash and guess what, yep it contains PG. I cut some e-liquid with PG earlier, no gloves. I've been vaping all day. I've consumed various things today that have PG or something derived from PG listed in the ingredients. Not sure how much PG it's supposed to take to poison you, but I've got not 1 symptom.

Momof3

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Midwest, USA
I'm new to the forums and have not yet tried vaping(waiting on orders). But it seems like no one has mentioned that each individual is different and therefore the level of tolerance towards any chemical varies greatly. Just like how certain people are susceptible to irritation from peanut oil.

This is true and I apologize if I seemed snippy, I didn't intend to. I was trying to point out all the PG we slather on ourselves, breathe in and also ingest every single day whether we vape or not. And yes I mean ingest, we eat and drink stuff every single day with PG in it. If more people would read labels, they might be shocked at how many things they use with PG listed in the ingredients.

I have a big bottle of PG I bought from the pharmacy. The only warning on it is not to store it near anything toxic or odorous as it may be used in a food product for consumption. Even things we use on and give to infants to ingest have PG.

If I decided to sit down and chug a few of those big bottles of PG straight, then maybe I would have cause to worry about PG poisoning. The same holds true for just about anything in too large a quantity.

Someone who starts vaping and has some symptoms of sensitivity to inhaling PG, then yes, stop using it and try VG. But being sensitive to and suffering from poisoning are whole different things to me. Many people will only read bits of this thread and leave terrified of PG when they are in reality saturating themselves with it on a daily basis.

I'm only talking about PG itself here. Liquid nicotine is different. Yes, you need to take some added precautions with the nicotine. Same as you do with any other toxic substance in your home. And believe me when I say there are tons of those, but PG isn't something people need to really worry about.

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
This is true and I apologize if I seemed snippy, I didn't intend to. I was trying to point out all the PG we slather on ourselves, breathe in and also ingest every single day whether we vape or not. And yes I mean ingest, we eat and drink stuff every single day with PG in it. If more people would read labels, they might be shocked at how many things they use with PG listed in the ingredients.

I have a big bottle of PG I bought from the pharmacy. The only warning on it is not to store it near anything toxic or odorous as it may be used in a food product for consumption. Even things we use on and give to infants to ingest have PG.

If I decided to sit down and chug a few of those big bottles of PG straight, then maybe I would have cause to worry about PG poisoning. The same holds true for just about anything in too large a quantity.

Someone who starts vaping and has some symptoms of sensitivity to inhaling PG, then yes, stop using it and try VG. But being sensitive to and suffering from poisoning are whole different things to me. Many people will only read bits of this thread and leave terrified of PG when they are in reality saturating themselves with it on a daily basis.

I'm only talking about PG itself here. Liquid nicotine is different. Yes, you need to take some added precautions with the nicotine. Same as you do with any other toxic substance in your home. And believe me when I say there are tons of those, but PG isn't something people need to really worry about.

Everything in moderation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread