Cleaning an Ego-T atty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I do a quick very hot water rinse first, blow it out good then a PGA soak for about 20min then blow that out good and take a hair dryer to the Atty, not real close just hold the hairdryer back a bit to dry the Atty. Then once I have it nice and dry I give it a prime with PG maybe 5 drops then I store the Atty in a small zip lock baggie and suck the air out and stash the Atty for a day or whenever I'm ready to use it again. With my reg 510 Atty's I use them until there performance starts to lack and pitch them in a coffee can, once I have a bunch of them I use the same method but stick them on a metal baking dish and throw them in the oven on the lowest setting thread side up for 20-30 min on that lowest setting, take them all out and prime them with PG then store them all in a bigger zip lock baggie and suck out the air. I also save my stock wrappers and put them back in that first, then the zip lock. Done deal

Rachus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Indiana, USA
I've watched cozzcon's and other vids and vids on the dry burn, and vids on the cut-away and disassemble of the atty -- and I have a quick, related question from a newb: if I wanted to just use warm, distilled water, what would be the harm in a minute or two, forced-air (hairdryer) blow through, then a dry burn style "drying". It would seem the mesh, coil, ceramic/plastic basket could withstand the heat of the "dry" burn, and in fact the heating element would actually dry the remaining water on the coils and wick-- no?

EDIT: Actually, a more simple question: why not just vape distilled water in a tank? (Yeah, might taste pretty awful, or no taste at all, just steam...don't inhale) but juice is what, 75% or more water? In essence, steam-cleaning the works?

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
I was reluctant to try cuzzcon's method; I really didn't like the idea of using a chemical (IPA) in something that i would inhale in my lungs--he does put a disclaimer in the video.

I did try his method and let the atty dry for 48hrs, but still got that chemical taste even after quite a few draws. So I stopped and re-cleaned the atty along with a couple other atties by using distilled water. I brought the distilled water up to boil, turned off burner, and used a turkey baster to flush all the atties out; and then soaked them in the heated distilled water for 15 minutes and blew out. I let them dry for 24 hours and loaded them up with ejuice and vaped away.

This method worked very well for me and it will be my choice of cleaning eGo-T atties and atties in general from here on out.

cheers,

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
Gatorfan, in addition to distilled water, you can safely use PGA (Everclear) or vodka. And a quick dry burn to get rid of the crud on the coil. I've done it several times without any problems.

Thanks, Katya. I have probably read every way one could go about cleaning atties--lol. I just like the idea of using distilled water...far less impurities than anything else and it's working for me. I didn't mention, but I will do a dry burn after the distilled water. I usually use 70/30 pg/vg and get a week before I need cleaning. A couple juices I use from vaperite are 50/50 and after a couple days the atty will get clogged and I'll blow it out and do a dry burn that brings it back.

Thanks for your help and comments.

cheers,

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks, Katya. A couple juices I use from vaperite are 50/50 and after a couple days the atty will get clogged and I'll blow it out and do a dry burn that brings it back.

Thanks for your help and comments.

cheers,

Vaperite is rough on the atties, even at 50/50... I know. :)

But a quick dry burn takes care of it.

Happy vaping.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm in TX...need to do a liquor store run soon anyway!

Yeah. I love Texas!

Im terrified of the dry burn, in the region attys the filling under the bridge would burn making the atty disgusting. Is the ego-t atty similiar with a filling inside of it?

Watch the video from Volcano (and keep an eye on the linked thread--all you ever wanted to know...).

parkchanwoo

Feb 5, 2011
San Diego
I was reluctant to try cuzzcon's method; I really didn't like the idea of using a chemical (IPA) in something that i would inhale in my lungs--he does put a disclaimer in the video.

I did try his method and let the atty dry for 48hrs, but still got that chemical taste even after quite a few draws. So I stopped and re-cleaned the atty along with a couple other atties by using distilled water. I brought the distilled water up to boil, turned off burner, and used a turkey baster to flush all the atties out; and then soaked them in the heated distilled water for 15 minutes and blew out. I let them dry for 24 hours and loaded them up with ejuice and vaped away.

This method worked very well for me and it will be my choice of cleaning eGo-T atties and atties in general from here on out.

cheers,

sounds like we've got a winner! I agree with you on tasting the chemicals.. who wants to taste chemicals while vaping.. thats what analogs are for ;)

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
If you're going to bring water to a boil anyway, wouldn't tap water then be ok? Realizing that Everclear isn't exactly the most money conscious choice...

No, it would still have minerals and other contaminants. Distilled water is pure and clean with no taste; it leaves nothing behind...and very cheap at .80 a gallon.

cheers,

Rachus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Indiana, USA
Tried a method tonight, soaked atty for 30 minutes in 'almost boiling' hot water from the water cooler/hot water combo thing at work, blow out from battery end several times, tissues stuck in both ends for about 3 hours (thought there was that they were wicking out the moisture), tissues out, and air dried for another hour, connected to the USB PT battery, and dry burned for 10 seconds - off 1 second - on 4 seconds - off 1, then 4 final seconds...

Bad burning smell, very bad burning smell - hope it was just the weeks worth of gunk and possibly minerals in the water soak, hoping it wasn't the ceramic (or is it plastic) cup as shown in ShadoEnt's video...anyway, letting it wick a banana juice currently to try to get the burn flavor/scent gone now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread