Will McCormick 'extracts' work as e-juice flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clinton

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
NorCal - The place to be!
I heard on this forum someone picked up a bunch of Lor-ann flavorings that can be used in e-juice at Wal-Mart for like 99 cents each. My local Wal-Mart is one of the smaller ones, so unfortunately they didn't have them. But I did find 1oz bottles of McCormick 'Imitation extract' food flavorings. I got coconut, mint, almond, cherry, and something else... anyway 2 questions:

Can I use this stuff in my e-juice, and
How much should I use for say.. a 30ml bottle?

The box has a recipe on the back, it says it takes 4 tsp. to flavor a 13x9 cake, if that helps determine the strength of this stuff, I dunno. I only bought it cause I was really bummed they didn't have the other stuff, and I am dying for some DIY action! Responses as always are greatly appreciated, thank you in advance! :)

sanfordf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2010
Northern San Diego county

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
I wouldn't totally give up on your local Wal-Mart yet. The one near me usually doesn't carry them, but they do stock them this time of year because of their use in making holiday cookies. They aren't shelved with the usual spices/flavorings -- they're with the 92,847 varities of sprinkles and other holiday-only cooking/baking things.

Oh, and you might want to check immediately after Christmas -- last year, I found a wide selection of 1 dram bottles discounted to 50 cents. I didn't really have a use for them (don't do much baking), but I couldn't pass up the deal.

Last edited:

DonG

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2010
Jville, AL
I've tried a couple of them (mint and Cinamon) with decent but not great results......really not concentrated enough. Watch the ingredients, the ones I tried listed either alcohol or propelene glycol (pg) both of which are commonly used in e-lioquid (one base and one thinner) as the base liquids and absolutely minimal additional ingredients. A few I looked at had a rather long list of ingredients many of which I did not recognize and so I opted not to try using them.

Clinton

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
NorCal - The place to be!
Ugh...
Well the ingredients say : water, alcohol(21%), propylene glycol, and artificial flavors.

Sounds like I wasted a little money but that's what happens when you don't look before you leap... :(
Oh well, my wife can use them in something I'm sure... guess I'll just have to order some from lorann oils.. it's cool I don't even have a mixing kit yet anyway.

Thanks everybody. Happy holidays.

Edit-> And I looked all over that Wal-Mart, and asked a few employees, there was a different section with some baking stuff, but they had the same McCormick flavorings there. They said I could order from the site, it would be shipped to the store, no shipping fees, yada-yada, but when I went to the site (walmart.com) I could not find lorann or any other brand of flavoring oils there...)

Last edited:

BigJohnJ

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I tried two of the McCormick flavors, Orange and Anise . Only mixed 1 ml of each using only VG and the results were not real good.
I had heard that McCormick was weak on flavors so I tried half and half. The orange was not too bad. could use it in a pinch but the anise was not good at all........Way too strong for me. so I took 1 ml of VG and just added 4 drops of the anise and then it was not too bad. I would not want to vape this all the time but would work if I ran out of good ole Wyatt Earp.

Calypso

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
Indiana
Other places you may wish to look for flavors are shops that sell baking and candy making supplies or possible Hobby Lobby. I found a great supply of Lor-Ann at one of these shops. I have been told to stay away from flavors that contain oils. Just to confuse things a bit further some lables read XXXX oil but do not contain oil if you read the ingredient list and are ok to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread