How many ml e juice per pack of cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nateb4s5

Jan 31, 2011
Cranston, RI
Hello,
I was reading about how many drops or ml of e liquid are equal to a pack of cigarettes. The comparison I found online were for mg nicotine you get out of it, I realized that the drops were a different number for different strengths of eliquid which didnt' make any sense to me, its not like your smoking more eliquid per drag even if the strength was different. I was wondering about how many ml's per ciggarette drags / puffs would equal a cigarette, or better, a pack of cigarettes. This way I can really figure out how much I am saving w/ eliquid vs analog cigarettes.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
There really isn't a way to correlate drops or drags or puffs to packs of cigarettes. The number of drops in a bottle depends on the size of the dropper in the bottle, not on the strength of the liquid inside the bottle. The average amount of liquid most vapers go through in a day is 3-4mls. Some will use more, some will use less depending on how much they vape and what kind of set up they're using.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The problem in trying to do these calculations is that we only absorb a fraction of the nicotine from vaping as compared to smoking.

Some studies have shown we may be absorbing as little as 10% of the nicotine from vaping.
And some here find flaws in those studies and think they may be getting as much as 40% of the nicotine from vaping.

So, for example...

If using 3ml per day of 24mg strength liquid, you would get anywhere from 7.2mg to 28.8mg of nicotine.
That is because a 24mg strength juice is 24mg per milliliter.
That is how they quote nicotine strength.

And that would equal anywhere from about 7 to 56 cigarettes.
But that all depends on which cigarettes we are talking about, and how much we really absorb from vaping.

notdurrr

Dec 15, 2009
England
Although e-cigs and normal cigs look simular and we use them in a simular way they are quite different.

This is partly due to what happens between puffs. For instance I use around 1.5ml per day, I used to smoke 30 cigs per day. It would be easy to assume therefore that 1ml is equal to 20 cigs. But some people would only take 5 drags on a normal cig, some people might get as many as 20 out of one. I think the majority of people would get between 10 or 15, but there is a big difference between 10 and 15, a 50% extra difference. It is cause by how often you puff, and how much of the cig you smoke, and even the lighting proceduce of a normal cig can alter the figure by 10%.

What I am tryng to say is a person who got 8 puffs out of a cig is going to find he uses less juice than someone who was getting 20 puffs out of a cig. They both used the same amount of cigs, but they are going to use vastly different amount of juice.

And then there is how we use e-cig, I pick mine up and have 3 or 4 puffs and put it down. Others will pick it up and hardly ever put it down. Some will clean their attys every day, some will hardly ever clean one. Some will drip, some will top up and some will refil a cart and not change it until it is dry.

Obviously someone who drips, uses a LR atty, and clean their atty every day is going to use a lot more juice than someone who refils a cart, on a standard atty and never bothers cleaning an atty unless it cries out for help.

In saying that, I guess 1ml is = 20 cigs, but that is just a starting figure. Some people might find they need 2ml for 20 cigs. Some people might find 0.5ml = 20 cigs (wow if they do and kudos to em). As you can see, in reality it is impossible to even get close to an answer, you could be as much as 400% out on your guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: ejiro

Freddy

Jan 25, 2011
Virginia
I spent a lot of time think about and analyzing this same question and I think everone who ever starts vaping has as well. All answers so far pretty much have it. I don't believe there is any correlation between the nic strength in eJuice and nic content of an analog cig. And the key I believe as stated in other answers is "How much nic is absorbed during the vaping process"? Using the formula that 2ml of 18mg eJuice = 1 pack ... I'm vaping the equivelant of 5 packs, at least - where I was a 1 1/2 pack a day smoker. The key is to just listen to your body. You know what it feels like to "crave" a cig ... I vape to answer in answer to the cravings. Once I'm off cigs ... then I plan on lowering nic levels and breaking the "hand to mouth" habit. Keep ya posted on that. But I really think you will go nutz trying to figure it out mathamatically ... the numbers don't seem to work and I'm not sure why. Either cigs got something extra in them to make sure you absorb as much nic as you can ... or ... there is something about vaping where you do not absorb as much. I'm leaning to the first thought more ... don't trust them ciggy boys that like you addicted.

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
1 ml is a pack per say. Nicotine wise they are the same.(24 for full flavor, 18 is light, 12 is ultra) Use wise might become different based on your habits. And of course we dont really know if the nicotine levels in analogs are accurate. One thing we know for sure is raw nicotine doesnt give a head rush, and carbon monoxide from cigarette smoke does. The other added chemicals in cigarettes were in place to addict and increase the feel and addictiveness....no scientists needed to figure that out. SO, its apples to oranges here, but in priciple, a ml is same as a pack. Typically 20 drops is a ML. (depending on viscosity and dropper size)

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Too hard to figure out. Different attys burn different amounts per drag, different people take different length drags, have different size mouth, etc. Just vape from one bottle for a couple of days and see how much the liquid level goes down each day, in 2 days, in 3 days. You'll be able to tell how much juice you are using.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Yeah, I don't know if it's so much saving for me at this point. It's more that I don't spend more money, in the long run, as I did on my old smokes.

Well, once you find the juice you like, most of your expenses are over. If you have your basic setup, all you really need is juice. Maybe a few packs of cartomizers or something like that.

My problem is I read the board and everytime someone mentions something, I think "Gee, I need that!"

For example, I have my setup that I like. I have about 90 ml of my favorite juice. I'm good, right?

But someone mentioned a different cartomizer- I ordered that. Then I read about the tank- ordered that. It's never ending!

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I haven't saved a penny.

Just added it up, in just juice alone, this month I spent $152.00. This is for two people. But this isn't counting starter kits, batteries, cartomizers.

Before this I was rolling my own and a bag of tobacco was $14.00 for 2 1/2 cartons. About $8.00 a pack if I bought them.

Last edited:

EVOLVIST

Jan 25, 2011
Houston
I haven't saved a penny.

Yeah, I follow ya. So much of this is experimental. If it doesn't get banned (and even if it does) this will become more of an exact science. Right now, the trial and error of getting off the old cigs is what propels this machine.All that goes with how many packs per ML, etc. This is technology. It will get better. But you can't put a microchip in human nature. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread