Coughing and Sore Throat while Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

apt213

Feb 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm using the Joye eGo and Kretek e-juice from TastyVapor, though I've also tried Clove and Fire & Ice from Pure Smoker. However, no matter what I try, vaping makes me cough like crazy and gives me a sore throat. Oddly enough, my analogs do not. (Djarum Black Menthols)

Any ideas why? Is it just a matter of getting used to something new? Too much PG or VG?

I just started vaping a week ago, so please forgive me if this all sounds silly. I'd really love to stop smoking cigarettes, but if this is the e-cigarette alternative, I just can't make this work. All suggestions welcome.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
Here's a couple of ideas:

• Vaping is done differently than smoking. With smoking you seal your lips around the filter and take a short hard drag, with vaping you lightly put your lips to the end and gently, slowly, take a looong soft drag (like 3-5 seconds) into your mouth and then inhale it into your lungs.

• You've chosen probably some of the strongest e-liquid out there to start with...

• vaping feels similar to smoking, but it's not smoke and your lungs aren't used to it. Just like if you leaned over a pot of boiling water and inhaled it would probably make you cough, but it's not more harsh than smoking it's just a new substance for your lungs to figure out.

It just takes some practice. Try the slow easy looong inhale and see if that helps. I highly doubt if it's due to the PG/VG thing though, IMO.

wheels

Jan 27, 2011
ctown
I started vaping about two weeks ago and noticed that I would get a sore throat, I did some research and started drinking water which helped. The last few days though have been unreal, nothing makes it better, and it's definitely from vaping... I was about to start a thread and I saw yours, so I'll be keeping an eye on this. I really want to find a way to make it go away, haven't had an analog since my ego got here!

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
I started vaping about two weeks ago and noticed that I would get a sore throat, I did some research and started drinking water which helped. The last few days though have been unreal, nothing makes it better, and it's definitely from vaping... I was about to start a thread and I saw yours, so I'll be keeping an eye on this. I really want to find a way to make it go away, haven't had an analog since my ego got here!

You can also try a couple of other things too (specifically for sore throat, not so much for the coughing):

• drink more water or milk (you knew that one already)
• suck on a lozenge or hard candy
• try some VG for a smoother taste/feel
• often, it goes away on it's own if you can stick it out for a few weeks or so.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
If it's not the juice, coughing and a sore throat are a common symptom of quitting smoking. There are a few articles in the health section.

"Within a very short period of time after you stop smoking, your lungs will begin to clear themselves out. Smoking can cause the cilia in your lungs to burn and not function properly. Cilia are tiny hairs in your respiratory system that actively move or “pump” mucous out of it in order to clear it up. If these are not functioning properly, the mucous can build up. When you quit smoking, the function of the cilia returns to normal and at the same time your body actively clears the lungs of mucous at a faster rate. As this mucous goes out of your lungs and down your esophagus, it is carrying all sorts of bacteria and irritants that may result in a sore throat. Many smokers report this as a positive feeling as they are feeling their body rid itself of all the bad stuff from their lungs despite a slightly sore throat that may result."

I never had a sore throat but my mother did the first couple of weeks. Try a milder juice. If you like tobacco flavored juice, Virginia from Backwoods Brew is very smooth.

slappy

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago
Two things make me cough like the blazes:

Dirty atty, do dry burns every couple of fills and clean with grain or isopropyl alcohol. See atty cleaning for more details.

Fruit e-juices, can't seem to find one that doesn't make me cough. Green apple, pineapple, and cranberry. Apple is good though. All favorites to eat, just can't vape them. Although Fire and Ice doesn't make me cough, oddly. Meh, everyone is different.

HTH

Vape on.

Red Skare

Moved On
Jan 19, 2011
ventura
  • Deleted by Elendil
  • Reason: OT--does not contribute to subject of thread.

chimney55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
NW Arkansas
Thanks for your responses, everyone! Leave it to me to start up with the toughest juice out there. Lord knows, I can't do anything the easy way!

I'll try these suggestions and see which works best, and report back. I certainly hope it's not an allergic reaction, though.

Thanks, all!!

I wasn't allergic to PG--just sensitive. When I switch to 50/50 PG/VG, the sore throats went away.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Try some less intense flavors, try some 50pg/50vg juice?

If you are using an LR (low resistance) atty or carto try a standard one. LR stuff runs hotter for a bigger hit.

Also - did you get rid of the primer on the atty? that stuff is harsh. If you have vaped 10-15 drags or more it is probably gone by now unless some got in your cart.

brooke.bradford

Feb 7, 2010
Utah
From what you've written, I think it's a combination of the analogues you were (and are) smoking, the flavors you are vaping, and one of the properties of the fluid which isn't discussed much, but is actually advantageous to most...

Starting with what you've been smoking. They are delicious, but particularly dangerous. Tobacco sprayed with clove oil infused with menthol crystals. That produces a very wet smoke, meaning that there are a lot more resins and tars deposited in your lungs than there would have been if you smoked regular cigarettes. And clove oil has some strange properties... it is caustic, meaning it has a very low ph, and is actually acidic. But at the same time, clove oil has short lived numbing properties. So you couldn't feel the damage it was doing while it was "on it's way down". And in the "air sacs" where it settled, you don't have nerve endings to alert you to a problem.

On to the properties of Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerin. If you research their usage in other industries, you will find that they are most often used as humectants. In layman's terms, they mix well with most other stuff. And when they do, that enables the other stuff to carry more water. In other words, when you inhale PG or VG as a vapor, it starts to liquify the tars and resins that have built up in your lungs, making it easier to expel them. For most of us who have replaced smoke with vapor, that was a good thing. It helped us quickly clean out our lungs, and recognize the advantages of not smoking. We all coughed a lot in the beginning.

In your case, it's a "catch 22", because what you are coughing up includes clove oil which has lost it's numbing properties. But it is just as caustic. There's the source of your sore throat. And unfortunately, the flavors of cinnamon, menthol, and especially the clove which are the fluids you have tried so far, are worsening the problem. Although mild, they are irritants, and usually chosen by vapers who like a good "throat hit". Unfortunately, your throat and bronchial passages are in no condition for it. Yet.

I don't think you're gonna like my suggestions, but here they are. Stop smoking the Djarums. They are illegal in many states for good reason. If you MUST smoke, try something gentler. As far as fluids are concerned, their mixture is becoming an art form. Some of the smaller companies ask you for your preference as far as the mixing ratio of PG vs VG is concerned. Choose 100% VG for now, it produces a thick, smooth vapor that won't break down the residue in your lungs quite as quickly as PG. Finally, as far as flavors are concerned, avoid spices, menthols, and citrus in your flavoring until your lungs and bronchial passages have "cleaned house".

Hope this helps... :)

Last edited:

apt213

Feb 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Brooke--

Ouch! That post hit a lot harder than any puff from either an e-cig or an analog! However, that was honestly the post I needed to read.

I've been smoking clove cigarettes (and since '08, cigars) for the last 20 years. I've had two periods when I was completely smoke-free, but those lapsed back into the same old habit. Getting older now, I know I need to quit, and there's no excuse for me continuing to abuse myself. Thus, the e-cigs.

I had no clue that e-cigs would help break down the residue in my lungs. That's a little scary, but I'm certainly happy about that. It stands to reason that I would be coughing up the proverbial lung in the process of switching.

So there it is- tomorrow, I'll be throwing out the analogs and try to go full-vapor from now on. Maybe, over time, and by implementing some of the suggestions of you and others in this thread, I can get to a point where my body is used to these and can start breaking down the sludge in my lungs. I'm not gonna lie- I'm not excited about the "hard" switch, but your post was a wake-up call that I sorely needed.

Thanks so much. I really do appreciate it, even if it stung a little...

tsbrewers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
MN
www.facebook.com
I am just getting started too, and tend to cough quite a bit. I read somewhere here to suck a little air in while you vape, and that has helped me. So instead of clamping down with your lips, use a real loose 'touch' and suck regular air in at the same time.

also, I think when I smoke regular cigs I must suck them in to my mouth, hold, then inhale. That doesn't work for me with the e-cigs, I kinda have to suck the vapor straight in to my lungs.

Hope these help a little.

Brew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread