What happens to e-juice vapor inside my lungs???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I'm very new to vaping and I didn't know that I cannot post yet in the HEALTH section of this forum. I stopped using analogs in 1998 but continued to smoke Cuban CIGARS ever since but only when I drink liquor (twice a week). As you know, we don't inhale CIGAR smoke like we inhale CIGARETTE smoke. For me, I considered CIGAR smoking the healthier alternative before to some extent because you don't actually inhale the smoke in your lungs. With CIGARS, you just draw and release from the mouth letting the tobacco flavor taste stay in the mouth.

Now going to my question and worry: Now that I (we) are all vaping and INHALING the vapors of the e-juices which are simply vaporized vegetable oils and Propylene-Glycol (whatever that is I really don't know :?:) doesn't the inhaled vapor change back to its original state of being oil when they enter our lungs and stay / stick on our delicate and and sensitive LUNG WALLS / LININGS and somehow prevent or obstruct our LUNGS from FUNCTIONING NORMALLY???

I was analog free for 13 years and I got rid of my HEAVY BREATHING and clogged nose due to analogs. Suddenly, this dreadful HEAVY BREATHING is back as well as my CLOGGED NOSE!!! :(

Can someone please explain what really happens to the vaporized e-juices we inhale in our lungs? I'm very much willing to quit this again just to have my normal breathing back :(

Tiari

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2010
Connecticut
Other than nicotine and the flavors, the components such as PG in e cigs is comparable to an asthma nebulizer solution. Unless you are allergic to PG or VG, or the flavorings, the components themselves should not cause these symptoms. Some e juice contains other ingredients, such as citric acid or grain alcohol which can irritate the linings of your mucous membranes as well as the lungs. If you keep experiencing these problems, switch your juice.

Thanks for the responses!

@mlinky - I been going through the health section but couldn't find exactly what I'm experiencing but I will read about dehydration. Thanks!

@Tiari - I'll try more PG then because I feel like it's an asthma thing more than anything else. SOmething like a Shortness of breath or just like emphyzema. SO if I do PG, it's like I'm nebulizing right. I better go more PG then. Thanks!

tigerlily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2010
Oklahoma
There are some people who have reported sensitivites to pg. I wouldn't go so far as to say that using pg is like nebulizing your lung. In an asthma inhaler the pg is used as a delivery system for the asthma medication. It is not what actually opens the airways. The point is, for most people it is safe to inhale, unless you are allergic to it.

Although it seems to be less common, there are some people who have reported sensitivities to vg so keep that in mind as well.

You should not notice any symptoms of impared breathing from vaping. If you do then you should try using a different type of liquid.

As far as oils are concerned, some liquids do contain oils. In particular, some cinnamon flavors do contain cinnamon oil. I don't know if there is any actual danger of doing damage to the lungs by using these flavors. Personally, I love the flavor of these liquids but apparently I'm allergic to them and have had an extreme reaction to them.

Finding the right juices that work for you is definitely a grand experiment. Nobody can tell you what juices are best for you since everybody is different. Also, there is no law that says you have to inhale the vapor into your lungs. If you are used to not inhaling and you're concerned about it, try just vaping the way you would smoke a cigar. Personally, I think you get better flavor that way anyway.

@tigerlily - thanks for these words of wisdom. I'd really wanna stick with vaping but if I have to experiment on which one will be the best for me would be tedious. I'd like to find out what the cause is so that I can immediately eliminate. However, what I liked about your post was the non-inhalation suggestion. I think I'd go that way if symptoms persist. Actually, will do that starting now and see if there will be improvements in my breathing. Many thanks again! Cheers!

Bootsand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2010
Ohio
Now going to my question and worry: Now that I (we) are all vaping and INHALING the vapors of the e-juices which are simply vaporized vegetable oils and Propylene-Glycol (whatever that is I really don't know :?:) doesn't the inhaled vapor change back to its original state of being oil when they enter our lungs and stay / stick on our delicate and and sensitive LUNG WALLS / LININGS and somehow prevent or obstruct our LUNGS from FUNCTIONING NORMALLY???

The EXACT same thought ran through my head when I first started vaping (except the oil part) :) I figured with the amount that I vape I would somehow dry drown myself from having tons of built up juice in my lungs.

Thankfully, it was a needless worry. Definitely do some research a bit in the Health section for more info, it will put your mind at ease, and if you have further symptoms, definitely try different juices (all PG/all VG, different flavors, etc) to see what works well for you. :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Any extraneous compound breathed into the lungs can cause irritation. You may be allergic to something in the juice or just sensitive to external irritants. There are some ejuices I try that make me cough. Others are heavy throat hits and I don't care for anything that makes my throat irritated.

Try some different liquids and find one that is smooth and doesn't irritate your lungs or mucous membranes. VG, for me, is the least of the irritants. PG in 100 percent levels is harsher. I'm settled on 70pg/30vg. YMMV.

mattchuu

Feb 9, 2011
Sydney, AU
French inhaling, drawing into your mouth and then blowing out slightly and inhaling through your nose, is probably the least irritating and most effective way to absorb the nicotine.

Thanks to your post, i just tried this for the first time - the flavour is so much more intense this way! love it!

i can just guess what my SO is going to say the first time she catches me doing it though. :/

OwnedByAGrey

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2011
Pennsylvania
Thanks to your post, i just tried this for the first time - the flavour is so much more intense this way! love it!

i can just guess what my SO is going to say the first time she catches me doing it though. :/

What I would do is tell her that you've missed the flavor of your cigars and have come across a way for you to enjoy that part of your life again, but this time without the risks of throat and mouth cancers. Have her visit the forum and read through the posts. Some vapers here do it for the pure pleasure of the taste without any nicotine in their juices at all. Being upfront with a SO is important (like I need to tell you that), and having her do some reading might allay any fears she might have. Another perk will be no cigar breath!

My husband and kids are delighted that I'm off of the analogs after 25 years of smoking. My kids actually did a good deal of research before coming to me last week and showing me this forum. I haven't smoked an analog for almost a week now and it feels great, much different than the experiences I've had trying to quit for years and years and years.

I hope you continue to find pleasure vaping. :)

Sorry to revive this old thread but it has been a week and I tried vaping without inhaling this time. I just wanted to share my experience. My mouth seem to have gone dry, I have difficulty pronouncing words, it's like my tongue is caught because of the dryness and there's this weird feeling of difficulty in brushing and cleaning my teeth. Maybe the VG or PG has an effect in the mouth that makes it dry :-( Is there any other vapable liquids out there that will not make me experience this?

tenzip

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
Lincoln, NE, USA
I believe PG and VG are both humectants, they will suck the moisture out of your mouth. Keep a bottle of water handy, and use it. A lot.

Most people don't drink as much water as they should, anyway, so it's another thing that's good about vaping.

I find it helps to take a small swig, swish it around briefly before swallowing, then take a bigger drink.

I also find myself having difficulty talking occasionally when vaping a lot, it reminds me to take a drink!

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
Yes, the first rule of vaping is you must drink more water. You can help your dry mouth by using a mouth moisturizing mouthwash like biotene too. You can suck on a lozenge. Heck, fill a spray bottle with water and give yourself a mist as you vape, whatever works.

The moisture in your mouth is especially important in maintaining your dental health, so even if your body isn't being dehydrated you still need to find a way to keep your mouth moist.

Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread