Blood Tests...Does E-Cig Nicotine Show Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnOfTheDez

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
California
My company's Wellness Progam now offers lower health insurance premiums if you take a blood test to show that you are not a tobacco user. This may be a DUMB question, but if I blood test as an Ecig user, will Nicotine show up in my blood test? :confused: I just don't see how they could test to see if tobacco is in your system without testing for nicotine...anyone come across anything like this?

shanobi187

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Portland Oregon
I would ask what it is they're looking for specifically. What about the gum, or nicotine patches? You wouldn't be a "tobacco user"
under those circumstances, but if i had to bet on it, i would think they're looking for nicotine. As far as it showing up in your blood I would guess, (guess being the operative word) that it would show up. You are taking nicotine in to your system, while it may not be as quickly absorbed as a cigarette, it is absorbed.

pAth77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2010
Bay Area
The half-life of nicotine is around 2 hours, and it takes approximately 5-7 half lives to reach a steady state. This concept is used more for reaching the ideal blood concentrations for medication to have their optimal effect, but it can also be applied to figuring out how long it takes to rid the body of a given substance. Keep in mind though that the higher the starting blood concentration, the longer it will take to clear it from your system (pretty common sense there).

Also, you have to remember that with all laboratory instruments, there is a specific limit of detection for any compound that you are analyzing. It will vary from substance to substance. At present, the limit of detection for nicotine is 5µg/L (5 x 10^-6 g/L). The limit of detection for continine is 100ng/L (1 x 10^-7 g/L). That means that even an infinitesimally small amount of nicotine/continine in the blood can be detected.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm just about through with these ignorant MFers that don't distinguish between smoking and other forms of nicotine useage.
Yeah, we're all just about through with them, or even completely through with them.
Now we just have to figure out what the hell we can really do about it.

If you ask me, we all need to donate to CASAA.org as shown in my signature.
At least that's what I'm doing about it.

And of course, sending letters and signing petitions and whatever else we can do.

DawnOfTheDez

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
California
Ask for the breath test which can test for smoke.

I'm just about through with these ignorant MFers that don't distinguish between smoking and other forms of nicotine useage.

I agree. So once I was dinged on my insurance premiums because I was a smoker. Then I quit and declared nonsmoker, and now they want to blood test. I get it, I really do, but like you, Crumpet, I am done with the MFers who don't recognize other forms of usage.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
For those of you who can't stand these MFers anymore, we need you!!

First of all, check out CASAA (CASAA | The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association) and volunteer to help.
They are us, and we are them.

And if you can't find time to do as much helping as you might want to do, then try to donate.
Fight for what is right, what is true, and what you believe in.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
The most common test is for cotinine, which can stay detectable for several days in the blood.

You can get a clearout kit to pass the test, but it involves a diet and other measures, plus abstinence for two days. Just google 'pass drug test' and similar. You have to do 2 days of cold turkey and drink loads of stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread