E-cig Side Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam1113

Feb 11, 2011
FL
Hi, I'm new to the forum but I've been vaping for about a year now. I've read other threads on this forum of people complaining about side effects, and I too have experience side effects from vaping, so I thought I would offer my advice.

First, PG can F you up! I don't care what anyone says. I know some are immune to it but that's not the case for many. I have no allergies and have consumed plenty of food items with PG, but I cannot inhale that junk. PG makes my throat sore and dry, and makes my chest hurt worse than cigarettes. If you're having any problems with sore throat, sore lungs, or cotton mouth, switch to VG. In fact, I would suggest everyone vape VG exclusively simply because it is much, much safer. The mere fact that it is commonly used in herbal treatments and essential oils should be enough evidence.

Secondly, nicotine levels. In my experience, all of the e-cig vendors I've dealt with on a local level are shady individuals that I do not trust, especially when it comes to advice about nicotine or any other chemicals. No offense to any vendors out there; this has just been my personal experience. I had one vendor tell me that an ordinary cigarette has 40mg of nicotine in it. Complete BS.

Most cigarettes have less than 1mg of nicotine. So if you vape a ml of 36mg fluid over the coarse of a day, it's like you just smoked 36 cigs, except worse because you're getting a purer form of nicotine. Anyone who's ever vaporized ......... can attest that it is much more potent that way, and the same goes for vaporizing nicotine.

For those that don't know the ratios, if the label on a bottle of e-juice says 24mg, that means there's 24mg per ml. So, again, a 30ml bottle would contain a total of 240mg of nicotine, which is A LOT. If you are having any type of sharp chest pains similar to what you might experience from a heart attack or angina attack, I strongly suggest lowering the level of nicotine you are vaping. I would suggest less than 12mg is safe range, but you should go even lower than that unless you are just so horribly addicted to nicotine that you need more.

Nicotine is DANGEROUS. If you don't believe me, try to buy some pure nicotine. Good luck. You can't. It's a very potent stimulant and should be treated as such. You can think of it as caffeine. A very strong cup of coffee has about 100mg of caffeine in it, and we all know what that will do. Would you guzzle down 1,000mg of caffeine? No! Why? You'd have a heart attack. A very strong cig might have 1 - 3 mg of nicotine, so when you put 3 - 5 drops of 36mg fluid in your e-cig, you might as well pop 5 cigarettes in your mouth and light 'em up.

Anyways, I've experienced the symptoms above, and these are the measures I've taken to fix them. Sore/dry throat: switched to VG, all good. Sharp/tight chest pains like my hear was gonna burst: drastically reduced my nicotine level, all good.

Also, keep in mind that if you are a coffee/tea/soda drinker AND you are vaping, you are putting a lot of stimulants in your body. In some cases you might be better off vaping 0mg and having that one cigarette once in a while when you need it badly.

Hope this helps anyone else who has had these problems.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
you didn't followed our standard mantra : DRINK MORE WATER.

also: you didn't listen to us when we said, "we are all different, there is not one mg of nicotine that's right for everyone.

And you didn't do your PG homework: PG is the base that's used for nebulizer treatments, asthma inhalers and theatre fog.

Seems no homework was done regarding nicotine either: It's a stimulant on par with caffeine - I don't know of anyone who's brave enough to buy high mg's for mixing without doing a little homework first, besides when you buy it that way they send it with that warning. And you can't get pure nicotine anywhere that I know of. And the 1mg in a cigarette is the least amount that's in any brand of cig. and that tobacco companies add chemicals that make you absorb almost all the nicotine that you are inhaling and also heighten it's effect, whereas WE know that e-cigs do not add those chemicals and therefor we only absorb a fraction of the nicotine that we vape.

Last edited:

alldayvape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
Maryland
You're talking about ONE ingredient. Here's some of analogs ingredient list:

* Fungicides and pesticides -- Cause many types of cancers and birth defects.
* Cadmium -- Linked to lung and prostate cancer.
* Benzene -- Linked to leukemia.
* Formaldehyde -- Linked to lung cancer.
* Nickel -- Causes increased susceptibility to lung infections.

Ammonia: Household cleaner
Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
Cadmium: Used in batteries
Cyanide: Deadly poison
DDT: A banned insecticide
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
Lead: Poisonous in high doses
Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
Methoprene: Insecticide
Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element

--- From what I've read, people who've smoked over 10 years (some upto 40 years) have reported almost immediate health benefits when switching to Ecigs. I, personally, can tell that my breathing got better.

Last edited:

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
If you had come to ECF a year ago we would have advised you to drink more water immediately upon hearing of your symptoms and also to lower your nicotine intake.

That does not mean that everyone should lower their nicotine intake. I tried vaping 18 mg for a while and started daydreaming about smoking again. Went back up to 24mg and the daydreams stopped -- with no side effects at all.

texasgranny

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Texas
Adam...I am allergic to strawberries....I would highly suggest that YOU never eat them again.
I also have chest pains...for the last 10 years....please see your Dr about this symtom of mine
and I do believe you need to get completely off nicotine and caffine, due to my chest pains.
And I will listen to you and leave the tea alone and smoke that one cigarette every now and then
with the 4000 other chemicals.......................................
And could you please list all those horrible vendors...I want to make sure I never order from
them as it sounds like you really know what you are talking about....(NOT)
And I've been vaping and drinking a strong cup of coffee.....I now see I gotta quit that or that's
what's gonna kill me....(according to you)
and here I was thinking it was the 4000 chemicals in analogs that was killing me...silly me.

In other words...just because you had these problems does not mean others should anticipate
these kind of symptons and problems or adhere to your suggestions for the cure, which I
believe is somewhat off balance.

No disrespect meant, but some taken.

Last edited:

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
I have the sore/dry throat- I have some VG juice on order so I can see if that will fix the problem for me. My wife has absolutely no problems with PG juice.

As far as too much nicotine- everyone has their individual limits, and your body lets you know when you have hit that. When I first started I was using 18mg. Problem became that I enjoy the flavors so much that I was vaping a lot. And very soon my body told me I was getting too much nicotine. I enjoy vaping, so instead of vaping less I got lower nic in my juices (8-10mg).

Point is- everyone is different. And everyone has to approach vaping from their own POV and figure out what is right for them.

BigMikeInNY

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
New York
Hi, I'm new to the forum but I've been vaping for about a year now. I've read other threads on this forum of people complaining about side effects, and I too have experience side effects from vaping, so I thought I would offer my advice.

First, PG can F you up! I don't care what anyone says. I know some are immune to it but that's not the case for many. I have no allergies and have consumed plenty of food items with PG, but I cannot inhale that junk. PG makes my throat sore and dry, and makes my chest hurt worse than cigarettes. If you're having any problems with sore throat, sore lungs, or cotton mouth, switch to VG. In fact, I would suggest everyone vape VG exclusively simply because it is much, much safer. The mere fact that it is commonly used in herbal treatments and essential oils should be enough evidence.

Secondly, nicotine levels. In my experience, all of the e-cig vendors I've dealt with on a local level are shady individuals that I do not trust, especially when it comes to advice about nicotine or any other chemicals. No offense to any vendors out there; this has just been my personal experience. I had one vendor tell me that an ordinary cigarette has 40mg of nicotine in it. Complete BS.

Most cigarettes have less than 1mg of nicotine. So if you vape a ml of 36mg fluid over the coarse of a day, it's like you just smoked 36 cigs, except worse because you're getting a purer form of nicotine. Anyone who's ever vaporized ......... can attest that it is much more potent that way, and the same goes for vaporizing nicotine.

For those that don't know the ratios, if the label on a bottle of e-juice says 24mg, that means there's 24mg per ml. So, again, a 30ml bottle would contain a total of 240mg of nicotine, which is A LOT. If you are having any type of sharp chest pains similar to what you might experience from a heart attack or angina attack, I strongly suggest lowering the level of nicotine you are vaping. I would suggest less than 12mg is safe range, but you should go even lower than that unless you are just so horribly addicted to nicotine that you need more.

Nicotine is DANGEROUS. If you don't believe me, try to buy some pure nicotine. Good luck. You can't. It's a very potent stimulant and should be treated as such. You can think of it as caffeine. A very strong cup of coffee has about 100mg of caffeine in it, and we all know what that will do. Would you guzzle down 1,000mg of caffeine? No! Why? You'd have a heart attack. A very strong cig might have 1 - 3 mg of nicotine, so when you put 3 - 5 drops of 36mg fluid in your e-cig, you might as well pop 5 cigarettes in your mouth and light 'em up.

Anyways, I've experienced the symptoms above, and these are the measures I've taken to fix them. Sore/dry throat: switched to VG, all good. Sharp/tight chest pains like my hear was gonna burst: drastically reduced my nicotine level, all good.

Also, keep in mind that if you are a coffee/tea/soda drinker AND you are vaping, you are putting a lot of stimulants in your body. In some cases you might be better off vaping 0mg and having that one cigarette once in a while when you need it badly.

Hope this helps anyone else who has had these problems.[/QUOTE

your giving false information and you sound like a fool. have a nice day

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
Different Strokes for Different folks. Some people are actually allergic to VG rather than PG. Also some people are allergic to certain flavorings. It is a trial and error as well as an exercise in caution. If something makes you feel bad or is causing health problem then by all means don't do it! We are all different and the ingredients in e-cigs react to our bodies differently.

We also all absorb nicotine differently. Some people may need 24 mg and be fine vaping more than 1 ML of it. Some people may need 6 mg and can't vape more than 1 ML of that per day. Again there is no real standard for it.

Yes nicotine is dangerous, especially in any sort of pure form, just absorbing high enough strength nicotine through your skin can kill you. You can do this by slapping a whole box of patches on yourself too. High enough does of quite a lot of things can kill you, ever look into nutmeg?
Nutmeg’s flavor and fragrance come from oil of myristica, containing myristicin, a poisonous narcotic. Myristicin can cause hallucinations, vomiting, epileptic symptoms and large dosages can cause death.

I have never seen anyone claiming PG, VG, or Nicotine as being 100% safe, and no one should treat it as such. I will still take my chances with e-cigs over smoking any day.

Bottom line is, if you think what you are doing is endangering your health, then don't do it.

adam1113

Feb 11, 2011
FL
you didn't followed our standard mantra : DRINK MORE WATER.

also: you didn't listen to us when we said, "we are all different, there is not one mg of nicotine that's right for everyone.

And you didn't do your PG homework: PG is the base that's used for nebulizer treatments, asthma inhalers and theatre fog.

Seems no homework was done regarding nicotine either: It's a stimulant on par with caffeine - I don't know of anyone who's brave enough to buy high mg's for mixing without doing a little homework first, besides when you buy it that way they send it with that warning. And you can't get pure nicotine anywhere that I know of. And the 1mg in a cigarette is the least amount that's in any brand of cig. and that tobacco companies add chemicals that make you absorb almost all the nicotine that you are inhaling and also heighten it's effect, whereas WE know that e-cigs do not add those chemicals and therefor we only absorb a fraction of the nicotine that we vape.

I didn't PG was used in inhalers but I knew it was used in fog machines. But, I don't suck on fog machines. My point was it tears my throat up and switching to VG fixed that problem. I drink 70 ounces of water a day, that doesn't help one bit with any of the side effects. 1mg of nicotine is not the lowest amount in a cig. Light cigs only have about .5 - .7mg, so do your homework. And I said nicotine should be treated like caffeine.

I have a 24mg bottle sitting right in front of me with no warning label. I also know plenty of people who vape high amounts, up to 36mg without cutting it because they didn't know any better. Stop trying to advocate something so much because you like it that you don't care if there are others out there who might harm themselves from it. And stop trying to be a know it all, because you clearly don't.

I'm just trying to give helpful advice to people who want to vape but are experiencing side effects. I had these side effects, and this what helped the go away. End of story.

r0dent

Dec 16, 2010
California
Only side effect I have noticed from switching to E-cigs is this:

I eat more food now, and I have put on weight!

Apparently cigarette smoke was deadening my taste buds, so I wasn't hungry after smoking. I would always smoke AFTER eating, esp after dinner. After eating dinner and then smoking, I would not get any urge to eat again until the next day.

Now, even after dinner and then vaping, couple of hours later I get an urge to eat snacks!

I need to watch this or otherwise I will need to call Jenny Craig soon......

texasgranny

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Texas
Just so you know, tobacco cigs have been used since the 1800's....
first warning health label was put on in 1965.

No one on this forum advocates doing something that would harm anyone.
If you took the time to educate yourself before you spoke...especially about
this forum.....then perhaps you would
read and learn here on ECF from the posts that go back several years and that
everyone here suggests that if there are
any ill effects to anyone, to reduce the nic immediately

And if this appears to be rude, I apogize.....BUT...
Rosa is NOT THE ONE who is trying to be a "know it all"
End of story.

PS. Gotta go for now....got a large coke and a 36mg evening vape calling my name.
I always vape 36mg in times of stress!! and OMG Coke...love that stuff!! Even better
than my Starbucks!! Gotta a big fat Texas TBone Steak waiting on me as well!
And for desert....Yummy cheescake vape....36mg..... by the way.

Last edited:

Phreaker

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I had one vendor tell me that an ordinary cigarette has 40mg of nicotine in it. Complete BS.

Most cigarettes have less than 1mg of nicotine.

This is incorrect. You may absorb ~1mg of nicotine from a cigarette, but they have far more. This is why pets and children can get so sick from eating a cigarette or cigarette butts. What makes you think you absorb more nicotine in vaporized e-juice than smoking? The few scientific studies that have been done show we absorb far less than when smoking.

UntamedRose

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Homeish now
I didn't PG was used in inhalers but I knew it was used in fog machines. But, I don't suck on fog machines. My point was it tears my throat up and switching to VG fixed that problem. I drink 70 ounces of water a day, that doesn't help one bit with any of the side effects. 1mg of nicotine is not the lowest amount in a cig. Light cigs only have about .5 - .7mg, so do your homework. And I said nicotine should be treated like caffeine.

I have a 24mg bottle sitting right in front of me with no warning label. I also know plenty of people who vape high amounts, up to 36mg without cutting it because they didn't know any better. Stop trying to advocate something so much because you like it that you don't care if there are others out there who might harm themselves from it. And stop trying to be a know it all, because you clearly don't.

I'm just trying to give helpful advice to people who want to vape but are experiencing side effects. I had these side effects, and this what helped the go away. End of story.

Yup PG has been used in the medical field and deemed safe for human inhalation since the 1940's....however it's estimated that about 10% of people will have an allergic reaction to it but still leaves another 90% who are perfectly fine with it.

As far as Nic, studies have shown that the absorption rate for cigs are different from vaping.

Plus your math is off.... in say 24mg eliquid that isnt Per puff..thats per ml. Time wise about 3drops of eliquid is equal to one cig.
There are roughly 30 drops per milliliter divide 24 by 30 Equals.......... .8mg per "cig time"
Sounds about right to me.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
......I have a 24mg bottle sitting right in front of me with no warning label. I also know plenty of people who vape high amounts, up to 36mg without cutting it because they didn't know any better. Stop trying to advocate something so much because you like it that you don't care if there are others out there who might harm themselves from it. And stop trying to be a know it all, because you clearly don't.....

WOW I'm glad you cleared that up, didn't know I was vaping 36mg juice just because
I didn't know any better!!!

I'm switching back to smoking regular cigarettes as soon as I can stop laughing!!!!

intriqken

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Orange County, CA
Thanks for the input on some of the side effects you have noticed over a years time.
I am relatively new to vaping and have noticed some of what you mention,
I already switched from 24mg to 12mg of N with the occassional 30mg hits when I feel I need it,
I will order my next e-juice using more VG...in the past I've gone with a standard 50/50 blend

Thanks again

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
You mean 1-3mg per cig:
Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
"Most cigarettes (in the smoke inhaled) contain 1 to 3 milligrams of nicotine.[39]"

so if I smoke a pack a day that's 60mg per day. But now I vape about 3ml per day of 24mg/ml e-liquid, so that's 72mg per day. BUT tests have shown that when you vape you absorb at best 40% of the nicotine that you vape, so now I'm down to about 43mg per day -- less than when I smoked (the average vaper uses the same as me, 24mg/3ml per day).

Nicotine can also be therapeutic in a medicinal setting:
Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QUOTE:
"...in a few situations, smoking has been observed to apparently be of therapeutic value. These are often referred to as "Smoker’s Paradoxes".[59] Although in most cases the actual mechanism is understood only poorly or not at all, it is generally believed that the principal beneficial action is due to the nicotine administered, and that administration of nicotine without smoking may be as beneficial as smoking, without the higher risk to health due to tar and other ingredients found in tobacco.
For instance, recent studies suggest that smokers require less frequent repeated revascularization after percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI).[59] Risk of ulcerative colitis has been frequently shown to be reduced by smokers on a dose-dependent basis; the effect is eliminated if the individual stops smoking.[60][61] Smoking also appears to interfere with development of Kaposi's sarcoma in patients with HIV,[1].[62]
Nicotine reduces the chance of breast cancer among women carrying the very high risk BRCA gene,[63] preeclampsia,[64] and atopic disorders such as allergic asthma.[65] A plausible mechanism of action in these cases may be nicotine acting as an anti-inflammatory agent, and interfering with the inflammation-related disease process, as nicotine has vasoconstrictive effects.[66]
Tobacco smoke has been shown to contain compounds capable of inhibiting MAO. Monoamine oxidase is responsible for the degradation of dopamine in the human brain. When dopamine is broken down by MAO-B, neurotoxic by-products are formed, possibly contributing to Parkinson's and Alzheimers disease.[67] Many such papers regarding Alzheimer's disease[68] and Parkinson's Disease[69] have been published. Recent studies find no beneficial link between smoking and Alzheimer's disease and in some cases, suggest it may actually result in an earlier onset of the disease.[70][71][72][73] However, nicotine has been shown to delay the onset of Parkinson's disease in studies involving monkeys and humans.[74][75][76]
Recent studies have indicated that nicotine can be used to help adults suffering from autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy. The same areas that cause seizures in that form of epilepsy are responsible for processing nicotine in the brain.[77]
Studies suggest a correlation between smoking and schizophrenia, with estimates near 75% for the proportion of schizophrenic patients who smoke. Although the nature of this association remains unclear, it was recently argued that the increased level of smoking in schizophrenia may be due to a desire to self-medicate with nicotine.[78][79] More recent research has found that mildly dependent users got some benefit from nicotine, but not those who were highly dependent.[80] All of these studies are based only on observation, and no interventional (randomized) studies have been done. Research on nicotine as administered through a patch or gum is ongoing.
Nicotine appears to improve ADHD symptoms. Some studies are focusing on benefits of nicotine therapy in adults with ADHD.[81]
Nicotine (in the form of chewing gum or a transdermal patch) is being explored as an experimental treatment for OCD. Small studies show some success, even in otherwise treatment-refractory cases.[82][83][84]"

Last edited:

thxhouse

Feb 8, 2011
new jersey
I just had to reply to this as a scientist and point out that your math is wrong. Every 1 cigarette (full flavor) has 10mg of nicotine in it. Depending on how you smoke u retain 4-8mg of nicotine. so A pack a day smoker retains around 80- 160mg of nicotine.

ejuice 24mg/ml. Normal vapor inhales around 2-3ml daily. thats around 48-72mg of nicotine daily. so your argument is invalid saying we inhale alot more nicotine by vaping vs cig.

About PG. Pg is not considered toxic by any means necessary. Yes having alot of it will give u stomach ache but thats because you are not used to that much PG. I think its a great tradeoff when compared to tar u get that every cig burning provides.

pure nicotine is about 1g/ml thats 1000g/ml and yes it is toxic. after 2g of nicotine in short amount of time is considered deadly. So unless u vape pure nicotine, i think were in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread