Bad teeth, cavities, and vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimusJD

Jan 24, 2011
Norman, Oklahoma
Ok so I'm one month in so far. This last week I've had one of the absolute WORST toothaches ever. Usually what sets off my teeth is sugar. I'm aware that in vaping PG and VG, that one of the products is glucose. I have a feeling this combined with the increased sucking action on the PV has really done a number on one of my teeth. Perhaps just enough glucose is getting in or on my teeth. I'll be heading to the dentist in a couple of days to see what's going on hopefully. I really don't want to stop vaping.

Anyone else had this happen? I've taken to really rinsing my mouth out after vaping, but it's hardly convenient to carry a bottle of biotene with me wherever I go. haha

Last edited:

juicejunky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
gone
I have hyper sensitive teeth, but I had them before I started vaping. If I eat candy or chocolate with artificial flavors/colors a few places on my back molars will get a shooting pain like a cavity. The dentist can never find anything, so it's either an early cavity, tiny crack, or worn off enamel. This can also happen if you have receding gums or an air pocket below the gum line.

I know it is not natural sugar causing the sensitive nerves, but something in artificial chocolate in particular. Belgian, Swiss, English, French and natural chocolates I can eat no problem. Hershey and even Ghiradelli make my teeth ache. I wouldn't dare eat a Starburst. So consider it could be the artificial flavorings in vape.

Try Sensodyne toothpaste and/or try 100% natural or organic juice from vendors like Vaperite if the dentist doesn't find anything.

I hope your teeth feel better.
http://www.ghirardelli.com/

OptimusJD

Jan 24, 2011
Norman, Oklahoma
Actually, the sweetener used is typically sucralose (Splenda is sucralose), not glucose. Sucralose does not contribute to tooth decay.

Thanks, but I'm talking about what the VG breaks down into when vaped. Granted it's not much, but if you have a crumbling tooth or abscess, it might make it angry. :)

Last edited:

OptimusJD

Jan 24, 2011
Norman, Oklahoma
Try Sensodyne toothpaste and/or try 100% natural or organic juice from vendors like Vaperite if the dentist doesn't find anything.

I hope your teeth feel better.
http://www.ghirardelli.com/

Yeah, I swear by sensodyne and biotene mouthwash. My teeth have been horrible most of my life. Even as a child they would crumble no matter how many times I brushed. I see dentures in my near future at 38 years old. Fun times.

Last edited:

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Yeah, I swear by sensodyne and biotene mouthwash. My teeth have been horrible most of my life. Even as a child they would crumble no matter how many times I brushed. I see dentures in my near future at 38 years old. Fun times.

Lots of people here have gone to the dentist and they had much better teeth than when they smoked, there shouldn't be anything bad for the teeth with vaping.

Dooter

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2010
Gilbert, AZ

My teeth are bad, too - like the same kind of bad as yours. In the 5 months that I've been vaping, I have had 1 tooth crumble apart (a back bottom molar) that was already giving me issues to begin with. I don't know if the tooth was just worse than I thought, or if vaping made it worse.

That being said, my gut instinct tells me that vaping has GOT to be easier on our mouths than cigarettes ever were. I really can't see what could possibly be in the e-juice that would destroy our teeth or make them worse than they already were to begin with.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Fine, considerate, sensible advice, Phreaker....my cheeks hurt for the first two days after I got my e-cig, and by some co-incidence I was flooding the atomizer all the time. Gentle, long puffs solved both problems.
...............The longer the puff, the more heat, the best vapor. No need to puff harder than necessary to light up the light on an automatic battery. Certainly no harder than one would puff a cigarette.
Also, many people are not aware they have had dry mouth probably long term before vaping. Mouth breathers beware. You need some professional (dental) help to make sure you take care of all the issues involved in drymouth ~ excessive plaque, gingivitis, cavities below the gum line. Biotene helps, dry-mouth toothpaste, but do get checked by a dentist. PG and VG both exascerbate the problem a bit, being humectants. My teeth have always been pretty sensitive, that can also be caused by smoking or too much acidic foods and drinks, carbonated especially. The "tang" can come from Phosphoric acid. Sensodyne for me.

Last edited:

InhaleGal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have been using Crest 3D whitestrips and have a really hard time vaping about 6 hours after they are removed. They make my teeth soooo sensitive and I also vape a lot of sweetened juices. So Ive backed off to only using them every couple days. Of course I still would vape through the pain! Kinda reminds my of when I used to smoke analogs and would have the most awful cough ever...never stopped me from lighting up!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OptimusJD

Jan 24, 2011
Norman, Oklahoma
Yeah just so nobody misunderstands and thinks I'm attacking vaping for the sake of it. A Byproduct of vaporizing VG is glucose. This will coat your teeth. With someone with healthy teeth it's not a big deal at all as you can rinse it right away. BUT, in a person like me that basically has a tooth with no protection on it anymore what-so-ever, it induces agony, at least in me. I tested it today. I went all morning and afternoon without vaping. No pain. Tonight, I vaped and within seconds I'm running for the anbesol. I guess I'll get the tooth pulled.

316lvm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
southern minnesota
Another thing that might contribute to tooth decay is medication. The psychotropic medication I'm on causes dry mouth, which, unfortunately, has caused major tooth decay. Nothing prescribed or OTC has counter acted the dry mouth.

Some high blood pressure medications, water loss medication and others may also contribute to dry mouth which leads to tooth decay.

MuddyWaterMan

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
Texas
Another thing that might contribute to tooth decay is medication. The psychotropic medication I'm on causes dry mouth, which, unfortunately, has caused major tooth decay. Nothing prescribed or OTC has counter acted the dry mouth.

Some high blood pressure medications, water loss medication and others may also contribute to dry mouth which leads to tooth decay.

I am on medication that causes dry mouth and also use a Bi-Pap machine for sleep apnea that makes it even worse. I have found that Oasis mouthwash along with the Oasis oral spray works well for me to combat the situation. If you haven't tried them you may want to check them out! GL.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I have been using Crest 3D whitestrips and have a really hard time vaping about 6 hours after they are removed. They make my teeth soooo sensitive and I also vape a lot of sweetened juices. So Ive backed off to only using them every couple days. Of course I still would vape through the pain! Kinda reminds my of when I used to smoke analogs and would have the most awful cough ever...never stopped me from lighting up!

Aren't they supposed to be used like once a month?

moonrai1980

May 18, 2010
fort worth
i've got really bad teeth due to various medications. And when I told the dentist I used sensodyne he flipped out on me. I'm on the way to dentures in the next few months because mine cannot even be crowned. But he said that sensodyne can rot your gums which is what mine were doing. And he told me from that moment on not to use any toothpaste that even had a drop of flouride in it (not sure why he is against flouride for adults). So found some at the healthfood store with xylotol and teeth are still bad but they don't hurt and no sensitivity either. He also gave me a dry mouth gel that works wonders. Still dreading that next trip to the dentist.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Flouridation of drinking water, airborne flourides, and dental health is under some scrutiny since the 1970's, there is some question of it being responsible for breakdown of collagen. That is why we've been told not to swallow toothpaste, especially kids. However Flourides are present in natural form in nearly everything in our environment, anything that contains the element flourine is a flouride whether organic or inorganic and seems to more adversely affect people with definciencies in magnesium and calcium.

However Zylotol can be deadly to animals, even though it's been proven to reduce cavities in humans.
But, Good point, Moonrai! Seems like no matter what we touch it has a bad side.

Last edited:

InhaleGal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Aren't they supposed to be used like once a month?
No you get a box with 20 strips that you use everyday for 20 treatments. Then that should last you a year. This is my first time using these and I just can't seem to use them everyday cause of the sensitivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread