Diabetes & Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

pAth77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2010
Bay Area
Blood sugar levels fluctuate at any given time for everyone, not just diabetics. Blood sugar will rise after meals and then begin to decline as the body utilizes the glucose. The problem in diabetes is an inability to control the amount of sugar in the body; sugar is essentially the power supply for all the cells in our body. Diabetes results from either an inability to produce insulin (type I) or a resistance to insulin (type II). Insulin is a hormone produced in the pancreas whose function is to aid in the transport of glucose into our cells. Because a diabetic's body cannot control the amount of sugar in their blood, they have to resort to other methods, which are mainly diet (limiting the amount of sugar intake) or medication (insulin, metformin, glipizide, etc.).

I am not sure about the flavorings that are used in e-juice. While I would not be surprised if they contain sugar/sweeteners, it is very unlikely that the amount would be significant enough to cause any problems in a diabetic, much less cause a non-diabetic individual to become diabetic. Even if one were a heavy vaper, let's say 10mL per day, and considering the fact that by volume e-juices are typically 10-20% flavoring (I'm estimating this based on my DIY calculator), the amount of sugar/sweetener in there wouldn't even be close to a packet of sugar that one would add to their morning coffee.

Hope that helps.

pAth77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2010
Bay Area
Sorry, I thought that you were asking a more general question. I can only speak from a medical standpoint since I am not a diabetic, nor am I an expert on the liquids. I would, however, be curious to know the real-world implications. Being a diabetic, I assume you check your levels at home. Have you noted a significant increase when vaping?

jplanet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
NJ
I am not diabetic, but I am a caregiver for two diabetic parents, and learned enough about this subject to fill a text book. ;-)

Nicotine raises blood sugar levels regardless of the source, whether smoking, vaping, patch, gum, lozenge, or whatever. In fact, the rush we get from nicotine has a lot to do with the sugar increase. More info here: Sugar is the key to the nicotine rush according to new research. So, any diabetics who went right from smoking to vaping probably did not notice much difference in managing their blood glucose levels. The reduction or elimination of nicotine would likely cause more severe withdrawals for diabetics, as the symptoms of withdrawal are very similar to low blood sugar - impatience, irritability, etc...

Diabetics are also prone to kidney problems later in life, and nicotine constricts the blood vessels in the kidneys, which can speed the progression of kidney failure.

So, my advice to any vaping diabetic would be to try to gradually lower their nicotine dose, and if their sugar starts to get low, consider eliminating or lowering the dose of meds like Metformin and Insulin, eat more slow-burning carbs, etc.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
I am not diabetic, but I am a caregiver for two diabetic parents, and learned enough about this subject to fill a text book. ;-)

Nicotine raises blood sugar levels regardless of the source, whether smoking, vaping, patch, gum, lozenge, or whatever. In fact, the rush we get from nicotine has a lot to do with the sugar increase. More info here: Sugar is the key to the nicotine rush according to new research. So, any diabetics who went right from smoking to vaping probably did not notice much difference in managing their blood glucose levels. The reduction or elimination of nicotine would likely cause more severe withdrawals for diabetics, as the symptoms of withdrawal are very similar to low blood sugar - impatience, irritability, etc...

Diabetics are also prone to kidney problems later in life, and nicotine constricts the blood vessels in the kidneys, which can speed the progression of kidney failure.

So, my advice to any vaping diabetic would be to try to gradually lower their nicotine dose, and if their sugar starts to get low, consider eliminating or lowering the dose of meds like Metformin and Insulin, eat more slow-burning carbs, etc.

Agree 100% with the kidney issues; anything that affects blood vessels and blood pressure is an issue for diabetics. The damage is ongoing; they don't "see" it until it advances to a certain point. Also agree with the filling a textbook; my oldest son is Type 1 since the age of 9......you become an expert REAL fast when that happens.

moonchild

Feb 13, 2011
los angeles
Nicotine raises blood sugar levels regardless of the source, whether smoking, vaping, patch, gum, lozenge, or whatever. In fact, the rush we get from nicotine has a lot to do with the sugar increase. More info here: Sugar is the key to the nicotine rush according to new research.

I've always wondered what the link was between blood sugar and smoking. I could tell there was one from my own experience, but never came across any research to support the observation...until now! Thanks for the link, jplanet!

jplanet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
NJ
My GF is a diabetic type I , and has not noticed any connection , she uses insulin all the time . FYI !

I am diabetic type 2 and have been vaping for over 7 months and it has not affected my levels at all.

This makes sense - someone switching from smoking to vaping wouldn't notice any difference in blood sugar as long as the nic levels are within a typical range. Drop the nic level down, and you might find that you'll be less insulin-resistant or medication-dependent...which can only be a good thing...if any doubt, ask your endocrinologist...

Agree 100% with the kidney issues; anything that affects blood vessels and blood pressure is an issue for diabetics. The damage is ongoing; they don't "see" it until it advances to a certain point. Also agree with the filling a textbook; my oldest son is Type 1 since the age of 9......you become an expert REAL fast when that happens.

Exactly - nicotine and diabetes are an especially bad mix for the circulation reasons alone, as you know the damage is invisible until it's too late...The better-informed you are, the better! I always like to research any medical issues for friends and family. I think I have a healthy distrust of doctors - I have witnessed them prescribing meds to people that should never have had them, fail to warn them that lifestyle choices were harming them, not realize that issues they were having were medication side effects or allergic reactions, completely misdiagnose, etc. With the kind of access to information we have in this day and age, it's much easier to walk into a doctor's office with a lot of information already.

hawkizefan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
omaha
Type 1 here and prior to becoming a vaper I too was concerned. My dad was a "brittle" diabetic and (bless his heart) he gave me a good touch of his wacky diabetes. So far I have found no connection between vaping and blood sugar levels. No spikes. I have on a number of occasions monitored my blood sugars while vaping like a nic addicted chimp and nothing. But that's just me and every diabetic is unique so you may different.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
I'm type 2 diabetic, and I do notice a rise in my blood sugar levels after vaping. However, while it is a measurable increase, it isn't a very sizeable one. I've never experienced any ill effects from vaping, like I would when my blood sugar levels get too high normally.

Really ? My GF has never smoked , she uses vaping to help curb her appetite with sweet flavors etc. I asked her last night and she said she did not notice a change ? this could be a very complex interaction and I am NO doctor that is for sure .

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
Really ? My GF has never smoked , she uses vaping to help curb her appetite with sweet flavors etc. I asked her last night and she said she did not notice a change ? this could be a very complex interaction and I am NO doctor that is for sure .

When I first started vaping, there were a few times when my blood sugar spiked pretty high, to the point that normally I would get shaky and start feeling like crap. However, I felt fine. I can't explain it.

jplanet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
NJ

If she never smoked, then why not just let her vape 0 nic? Or is it the appetite suppressant aspect of nicotine that's helping her food cravings? If it's the flavor that helps her avoid snacks, then, for heaven's sake, please give her 0 nic to vape. The effects of nicotine on blood circulation in diabetics will be invisible until it already does its damage. And for someone to take up a nicotine addiction who was never addicted to cigarettes is totally unnecessary.

If I seem to take this so seriously, it's because I cared for a relative who had a kidney transplant. Had they been a smoker/addicted to nicotine at the time we were looking for donors, they may have been denied the transplant and would have had to go on dialysis. Nicotine can eventually cause a stenosis in the artery leading to the kidney...there's no warning, just one day all of a sudden your blood pressure is at 160/100 and water retention sets in, further stressing the kidneys, and it becomes a viscous circle. It would be a sad irony for someone to cause themselves to need a transplant by ingesting nicotine, then fail to be able to get one because they are addicted to nicotine.

On top of that, the best anti-rejection drug on the market, Prograf, can increase diabetes substantially. It's not a road you want to go down...

Last edited:

potholerepairman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
Nothing substanial to add but wow, what an eye opener thread for anyone (me) that is concerned about diabetes .It runs in my family and for the about six months went to zero nic and felt better the next morning than I do now at 6 or 12.that could be the reason , ice cream gives me a hard fall but no blood test has ever said I have it but the symptoms are there for an issue at some time.Thanks.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
When I first started vaping, there were a few times when my blood sugar spiked pretty high, to the point that normally I would get shaky and start feeling like crap. However, I felt fine. I can't explain it.

AngusATAT, you seem to have the closest reactions in your statements (post) as I am having as of late. I'm a type 2 diabetic and as of late I'm noticing my sugars spiking upwards when I am vaping along with a real speeding sensation in my heart and feeling jittery and tired. I have had this before from to much Nic and have been vaping 24mg for the last year and just now cut down to 18mg. I also have monitored my diet extra closely as of late and exercise often by hitting the gym 3-4 times a week loyally. I'm physically in good shape so there isn't anything else it can be other than the vaping. It's been a bit scary especially since I've been at this vaping for over 2 yrs now and this has just started happening a bit more. After reading some of the post here in this thread maybe I need to really consider cutting back my mg's a bit further and see if it still happens. I have a DR's Appt next week hopefully everything else is OK. I know my hearts good I've had it tested but these dam sugars going out of whack and spiking isn't fun, it makes me feel like glue and tired when they spike.

I would like to thank everyone for there post in this thread, there greatly appreciated. I know everyone is different and has different side effects from everything, One diabetic is completely different from the next but hearing what everyone Else's side effects are or is experiencing is good to know. Thank you all..!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread