How often you clean your Ego-T atty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubenX

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Longwood
I've been vaping with mine non-stop since it came in the mail, few days ago. I think I've gone through 15~20ml of juice... dark juice, vanilla, 100% VG, very sweet and very sticky.

Today it was not working well, barely any vapor and very VERY hard draw. I think I clogged it. I'm now cleaning it with the "volcano method", just dropped it into hot water... I hope it comes back to life.

I'm now on a backup 510 atty (LR). Easy draw, tons of vapor, even better than the tank atty. But I really really hate topping of the cart all the time. The tank was consistent for hours and hours of vaping. I could go all day with 2 or 3 tanks. Changing the tanks is easy, fast... I miss my tank already.

Sorry, got sentimental... back to topic, how often you clean your tank atty? every ?? ml? every ?? days? Using ??PG/??VG?

RubenX

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Longwood
Oh well... it seems mine died already.... not even a week of use. I washed it last night, it dried over night. Today I primed it, fired it up... same issues as before cleaning it, really hard draw, very little vapor... I place it on the table, came back few minutes later... pool of liquid all over.

I was so happy with this thing... till it broke.

Have I mention how much I hate topping off the carts every hour of heavy vaping? Having traces of e-liquid in your hands all the time.... and the occasional droplet of e-liquid in your mouth... I thought the tank was going to solve all these issues... arg! Oh well... new technologies, this is part of the game. At least I'm not using analogs.

On my way to pet store now to get some blue foam for my backup LR atties.

alldayvape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
Maryland
I've heard plenty of people suggesting not to clean them until they really need it....Compressed out might blow out the wick.. if you do give it bath remember water has minerals that will damage the wick in the long run

Remember to do this:

You blow all liquid out, rinse under hot tap water a couple of minutes, blow all water out and dryburn till coil glowing (keep the coil glowing 5-6 sec x 4 times).
Now you have burnt all the gunk in the wick/coil to dust.
rinse quickly again under tap water to remove the dust around the pot, then blow and dryburn again to dry the water out (or let it dry 24h).
Prime the atty and go.
This is called the dryburn cleaning technique.
this is nothing revolutionary, people are doing it since a couple of years.

You can add an alcohol procedure before dryburning it.

This from another forum's veteran vaper: I gave up on atomiser cleaning as I found it had very little positive effect and often has negative effects, the most I do nowadays is insert a piece of tissue into the atty from the cartridge end and blow through the battery connector end to remove old or excess juice if the atty is flooded, wipe away the excess and your good to go.

If your Attys seem to give up & die you can try soaking them in alcohol, Coke or boiling water & see if that revives them.... it seems to make them work again sometimes.

Last edited:

jwv651

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
Castle Rock, Colorado
I had a bad one and ended up soaking it in super hot water for 20 mintues then rinse it for another 10 mintues under hot water from the tap. I then blew it out really good and then I did a 4 sec on 4 sec off dry burn until I seen the red glow and it has been fine ever since. I also drip a couple drips of the juice on the spike and make sure you give 2-3 draws first with the battery off. Hopefully it will be good to go.

Jennie O

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
N Texas
I cleaned my 2 last night, soaked in boiled distilled water for about 10 minutes or so. Swished it around in a glass a bit. Then blew out the water and just let them sit over night. Put a drop of juice on it and popped on a tank and it seemed fine. I haven't had any leaking issues myself. I rotate those 2 out with 2 mega atties so they don't get used constantly like yours probably though. So far so good for me.

RubenX

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Longwood
thx for the tips... I was ready for dissection (the engineer-wanna-be in me) but I tried blowing on it one more time and guess what? a ton of water came out... and it has been air-drying for 4 days now. I'm gonna leave it for now, let it dry really well. Maybe put it in a bag with rice or something similar, try to dry-burn and fire it up again. Lets see...

IMHO it would be a great design improvement if the whole atty assembly could be unscrewed and taken out of the cone. But I guess that would make it easier for the knock-off manufacturers...

Uncle Screwtape

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2010
NE-IL
tand it has been air-drying for 4 days now. I'm gonna leave it for now, let it dry really well. Maybe put it in a bag with rice or something similar, try to dry-burn and fire it up again. Lets see...

I have found that there is no need to dry out the atty. I blow out as much water as I can, pop in a fresh tank and vape away. :vapor: Maybe one or two tasteless puffs, but it kicks in quickly with excellent taste. Drying out the wick seems to be counter productive, a wet wick wicks better.

zombienerd

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran

silentt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2011
Virginia
I've just been blowing the attys out from the tank side into a tissue coming out of the battery side. I wipe down the inside of all that + battery connections + threads, and also put that tissue inside where the tank goes just to get old gunked up juice and thats about it.

^-- If i add warm water into the atomizer and shake it up... then blow all the gunk out of the atty so it comes out the battery side do you think that would be more effective?.. just rambling sorry ecf

How do you all clean your actual tanks? Finish vaping all the juice... open cap and rinse that off.. put water in tank and get a q-tip and get whatevers left in there. i take out that front mouthpiece throw some water in there and shove tissue or qtip if it fits. but there are those air gabs on the wide between where the juice goes and the from of tank.. (anyone know what im talking about) how to clean that out?

GoinNuts

Oct 10, 2010
Florida
I rotate between two attys and clean one every week or so by plopping it in my sonic jewelry cleaner (with plain hot tap water). I let it run about 10-15 minutes, do a dry burn, plop it back in with fresh water. Rinse/repeat until I no longer see gunk at the bottom of the sonic cleaner bowl.

Then I blow it out with compressed air, let it dry for 24 hours and store it with a BFM cartridge lightly dampened with VG (to keep the wick from becoming bone dry). When it's time to clean my other one, the previously cleaned one is ready to go.

Sounds time consuming, but I do it while I'm cleaning the kitchen after dinner. Multi-tasking is my GAME!

Lisa

zombienerd

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
How do you all clean your actual tanks? Finish vaping all the juice... open cap and rinse that off.. put water in tank and get a q-tip and get whatevers left in there. i take out that front mouthpiece throw some water in there and shove tissue or qtip if it fits. but there are those air gabs on the wide between where the juice goes and the from of tank.. (anyone know what im talking about) how to clean that out?

I take them apart, soak them in hot water for a few minutes, and let them air dry... Usually does the trick.

Once or twice I've had to root around inside with a tissue :D

Uncle Screwtape

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2010
NE-IL
cignot sent me a replacement atty today so i took apart my orig. one that was leaking slightly. very cool stuff and that hole poking plate is in there pretty good but the wick inside of it moves pretty easily if you need to adjust. i might snap some pics if anyone is interested whats inside it.

Here's what I found inside my dead one yesterday.........

eGoT-Guts.jpg

silentt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2011
Virginia
Your picture sums up all my pictures i took with my EVO into one lol. Yeah that's basically what i found but for me getting the piercing plate wasn't as easy to get back in as its suppose to be..but that might just be me.

Did your atty burn out or what? Just wanted to take it apart for the hell of it? It's always good to learn about the product you use in my opinion.

silentt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2011
Virginia
You put drops on the battery end? So there will be juice on the actual battery threading? Or am i reading that wrong..

Can someone answer this for me? You drip a couple drops onto battery side of the atomizer? So it will actually get juice in and on the battery threads? I'm confused lol please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread