Preliminary results from Dr. Eissenberg's study (Yep, e-cigs deliver nicotine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Posted on WebMD by the same author of the article on Dr. Siegel's study.

"Electronic cigarettes CAN deliver nicotine": Smoking Cessation Community - Support Group

The author attended the annual Society for Research on Nicotine and tobacco (SRNT) conference in Toronto.

In the poster last week they reported preliminary results from the first 3 subjects in a new study of regular e-cigarette users. Each of these e-cigarette users used their own modified e-cigarettes and at least two of them obtained significant increases in blood nicotine concentrations, reaching more than 10 ng/ml from 10 puffs over 5-minutes, and one reached over 30 ng/ml with continued use. These levels are comparable to the venous blood nicotine levels that can be absorbed by a cigarette, and I believe this is the first time this has ever been reported.

And the author finishes with a positive note

Some may be concerned that e-cigs are capable of delivering meaningful amounts of nicotine relatively quickly, but to me this raises the possibility (as many users have already claimed) that these devices may really help smokers to quit.

On Monday I drove 4 1/2 hours down to Richmond, Virginia to be the 4th participant in this test. I vaped 16 mg Halo Menthol with a Bartleby 3.7v. Dr. Eissenberg still needs participants (it pays $200 and takes about five hours), and I encourage experienced users to give it a go.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...s-experienced-electronic-cigarette-users.html

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Dr. Eissenberg seems to have become a friend of our cause.
That is fantastic, and the results both interesting and encouraging.

I'd love to know what the other participants were using!

Thanks for taking the time to get down there and participate.
I'm surprised we don't have a lot more people in that area giving it a go.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Dr. Eissenberg seems to have become a friend of our cause.

It's probably far too early to make this declaration, but I do think he's approaching it with an open mind. It's extremely unlikely that Dr. Eissenberg will come out and admit, "E-cigarettes appear to be considerably safer than smoking," any time soon. He wants to see substantial evidence that the direct inhalation of propylene glycol in the amounts used by e-cigarette users is not a concern, and he also shares my slight concerns about the unknowns involved with inhalation various food flavorings. As I explained it to him, I don't doubt that it could eventually be revealed that inhalation of some flavoring or flavorings lead to e-cigarettes being more like 97%, 98% safer than smoking, rather than 99%, but I don't think it's possible for any of these flavorings to compare to the harm caused by cigarettes.

The question is, if there are several other users who display high nicotine levels when given unfettered access to their e-cigarette, will it be interpreted against the backdrop of "Blood Nicotine Levels From a Single Cigarette," which, as I recall, tend to reach 12-14 ng/ml per cigarette? If so, there's bound to be responses from the American Cancer Society, Campaign for tobacco Free Kids, etc. damning high nicotine liquid as having the potential to hook children even faster than cigarettes.

I asked Dr. Eissenberg's research partner if it is common for a chain smoker to reach 30 ng/ml when given free access to smoke in a similar period as his test subjects were, as well what the highest ng/ml level they've witnessed or read about from a smoker.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I asked Dr. Eissenberg's research partner if it is common for a chain smoker to reach 30 ng/ml when given free access to smoke in a similar period as his test subjects were, as well what the highest ng/ml level they've witnessed or read about from a smoker.
Let us know if you get an answer please.

This comment made it seem as though the highest concentration of 30 ng/ml was comparable with cigarette smoking.
But it is possible that I read it wrong or misunderstood which of "these levels" were being referred to with that last statement.

Each of these e-cigarette users used their own modified e-cigarettes and at least two of them obtained significant increases in blood nicotine concentrations, reaching more than 10 ng/ml from 10 puffs over 5-minutes, and one reached over 30 ng/ml with continued use. These levels are comparable to the venous blood nicotine levels that can be absorbed by a cigarette, and I believe this is the first time this has ever been reported.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Got a response. 30 ng/ml is a level typically observed after 1 or 2 tobacco cigarettes in a daily (15+ a day) cigarette smoker, and "30ng/ml is not extremely high and we can see venous plasma nic levels reach higher than 30 ng/ml." It appears the 30 ng/ml resulted from someone who was using a cartomizer with a strength of above 18 mg.

Good news to me. Of course, the antis -- including the same people who have (rightfully in my mind) complained that the tobacco companies are promoting / forcing dual use by making the nicotine content of new American snus products so low -- are still going to pick this up as a reason to damn e-cigarettes.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Eissenberg has stated that he still views e-cigarettes as a drug delivery device (or an FDA-approved modified risk product, should the FDA approve them as such) and believes they should be sold/recommended only once they are proven "safe and effective" under FDA pharmaceutical standards. (Yet he doesn't test for safety and efficacy, he tests for nicotine delivery. :rolleyes: )

He has stated that he'd recommend a barely effective yet proven safe product over a product which he says has "unproven effectiveness and unproven safety."

So, while he'd support e-cigarettes as a smoking cessation device if they meet FDA NRT safety standards, I wouldn't say he is a friend to our cause.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Since Eissenberg previously wrote two articles and issued a press release (that generated several news stories) claiming that e-cigarettes emit NO nicotine, seems like he should issue a public retraction, correction, clarification, apology or whatever.

Interestingly, Eissenberg's colleague Andrea Vansickel and I will be presenting about tobacco harm reduction products at a conference in Newport News, VA on April 6.
Reducing Youth Tobacco Use Conference April 5-6, 2011: Prevention Connections

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Since Eissenberg previously wrote two articles and issued a press release (that generated several news stories) claiming that e-cigarettes emit NO nicotine, seems like he should issue a public retraction, correction, clarification, apology or whatever.

Interestingly, Eissenberg's colleague Andrea Vansickel and I will be presenting about tobacco harm reduction products at a conference in Newport News, VA on April 6.
Reducing Youth Tobacco Use Conference April 5-6, 2011: Prevention Connections

In his defense, the original study did deal with first-time users, and with a device that (as I recall from his posts here) did not come with adequate instructions that explained how to properly puff. I'm sure that my first time vaping, which was with an awful RN4081 model that also came with threadbare instructions, I received no statistically significant amount of nicotine in my first 10 puffs.

However, I would hope that his eventual study / press release (since no one reads the actual studies) does contain a clear clarification about what that study actually showed.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
I participated way back in November... I was using a Super-T P18 with 18mg cartomizer tobac flavor from eliquidplanet. I was jonesing so bad when I got there, all I wanted to do was vape... I didn't realize they had so few participants, and sure would like to know what MY results were. BTW, Adrea and all the people working with Dr. E were very nice and professional. I was there on Andrea's B-Day... on a Saturday!!! No way I woulda been working on a Sat.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I think where putting to much into only one Dr's study, ( it's great don't get me wrong, I think it's wonderful that Dr Eissenberg is doing this, but I would like to see 4-5 different studies done and sometime soon) why the heck with all the people involved with ecigs now, Cassa, and just the entire population that surrounds ecigs cant we pull off a few different study's to compare notes.

I would think there would be other Dr's and universities that would be interested in doing such since there hasn't been to many done. I understand studies cost money but heck some of these universities have money for this kind of thing in there budgets and donations for funding could be raised for studies it's done all the time, am I missing something here? I mean it is going on what 3 yrs now that ecigs have been around and with all the barking of are they harmful or are they not isn't it time some how some way we can get numerous studies completed ? Please don't take me the wrong way I'm just very curious what is so hard about getting these study done, heck where sending people into space and we cant get 5-6 different simple studies done. Someone help me out here with my thinking and logic on this I must be missing something ?

And again I'm very happy this study is getting done but I really would like to see a few more

Last edited:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Interesting.... and I'm sure there are even more JollyRogers with their P18 equivalants that were there too.
I wonder what gives?

Funny, but ... when they fought just us adults and left the kids out of the scenario, they tried to convince us that there wasn't any nicotine in ecigs.
Now that their fight is based on kids and they are leaving us adults out of the scenario, they try to convince us that there is a normal amount of nicotine...

yet both ways suggest they indeed help adults to lessen their tobacco intake...

still.... I just hope that the studies are non-biased and honest, no matter who they are at bat for.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Interesting.... and I'm sure there are even more JollyRogers with their P18 equivalants that were there too.
I wonder what gives?

Only four people have gone to Richmond to take part in the test, and two are in this thread -- myself and JollyRogers. Dr. Eissenberg needs at least 6 more people to participate for the study to stand a chance of being published in a journal.

I actually met someone at school tonight who has been using a Blu for 2 months, and was excited when I told him about the laboratory experiment and the $200 payment. I sent him over the info.

Beez

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Someone mentioned poor instructions above... That is the case, of course, with all models. It is the huge negative with PV's and desperately needs to be corrected. I made up my own manual to give friends, but that is not the answer. People will give up out of frustration unnecessarily due to a lack of info. While most of us at ECF are willing to seek needed info, I do not think that we are the average buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread