harsh acrid taste...burnt taste. why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjloupe

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2011
Louisiana
ok. maybe this is the burnt taste people speak of, but I describe it as an acrid, very harsh taste every few drags.

I have tried different fillers and ultimately am using the blue foam. Now, I have the riva. the foam in the cart is wicking because the exposed end is wet. when I get this taste, I am still getting thick vapor, it just tastes bad. If I let it sit a bit it goes away but then comes back. Since there is still thick vapor I wouldn't think the atty is dry, so what could be the problem?

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
You could be chain vaping the thing and the cart can not feed the atty fast enough. Try this. Take an empty carty (no filler), drip 3 drops on the bridge of the atty, place empty cart on atty and take about 8 or 10 drags (assuming standard resistance 510 atty). Pull empty cart and repeat. If this solves the problem then the above is correct and you will be looking for a Drip Tip. Hope that helps

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
have to wonder if your wick is burnt. did you try washin it?

I was going to suggest the same thing but I reread the OP and it is stating after a few drags the taste apears. That is what makes me think the atty is not getting enough juice to keep up with demand. I guess we will find out if OP tries the drip suggestion and if taste is stilll there a good cleaning or a "wickectomy".

icemanx3

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Silicon Valley, CA
As suggested, the foam may be fine but the "wick" that passes through your coil could be burnt. May wan't to try cleaning out your atty. However if that isn't the case, then yes it's quite possible the foam can't transfer enough fluid to your atty fast enough...you could try the dripping, and also maybe try shorter draws, and take some time in between draws. If this persists, you may want to ditch the carts and try a tank or CE2 carto or stick with direct dripping, if that is ok with you?

ice

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
You could try a cleaning but as tybin suggested the wick is probably fried. You can pull the bridge and wick but I would grab a new atty. A debridged atty is only good for dripping and you can kill it during the procedure. Hopefully you have an extra atty or 5 in your collection. If not place an order now.

Kufu Kahn

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2011
Washington State
I have the atty soaking now. when I got the riva kit one of the attys was defective, it has no hole in the threaded end. A replacement is on the way. Isn't there a way to disassemble these attys so I can swap parts in the meantime?

The disassembly procedure is rather final (destructive) and the parts are small. The atty components I have looked at have some of the electrical connections pressed between pieces of metal to make the circuit complete, getting them back together would be a real challenge without factory tools and equipment.

I have noted a thread in the mods area of the forum regarding the building of an atty. May be some good ideas there for you.

Good luck.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
I have the atty soaking now. when I got the riva kit one of the attys was defective, it has no hole in the threaded end. A replacement is on the way. Isn't there a way to disassemble these attys so I can swap parts in the meantime?

Not really. Place an order for some attys now. They never go bad and you should never have just two unless you have a retail store near you that you can go and buy from when an atty dies. They are a consumable and do not last forever. knowng you only have one atty nurse it and do not try to debridge or pull the wick. Wait untill you get a few spares to mess with it. Good luck

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
got ya. I won't mess with it. This atty was only 2 days old. I got it in a kit from liberty-flights.com, and of the 2 included one had no holes and the other one is already burnt. Hopefully L-F will exchange both for me.

Burnt they won't replace...that's user error. Hardest thing to learn is keeping the atty wet without flooding. That's one of the reason cartomizers are so popular. You will get the hang of it, and once you do your attys will last longer. Good luck.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
I think I should just go with the tank system. Seems to me it's the way to go.

I know this may not be what you want to hear but add them all. Cartos, Tank and atty's. The best way to keep off the smokes is to have a good supply of gear and backups. I look at it this way, I would have spent the money on smokes anyway. I have also found throughout the day I will switch between the different gear for certain situations. Like cartos for driving, atty's for dripping at my desk and the Tank when I am kicking back in the lazyboy. Best of luck and may the postman arrive quickly for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread