More addicted now than with analogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linderly

Feb 18, 2011
upstate NY
I have wondered about this too. I have only been vaping only since Jan 15. Last week though I didnt feel well. I laid on the couch all night with no desire to vape or smoke at all. I didnt vape til the next day. I dont think I ever went that long without smoking when I was a smoker. Then it didn't matter if I had the flu... I always smoked. I just didnt have the typical nic fits that night. It was wonderful! Im going to test this in the weeks to come. I do vape alot, and seems I should be more addicted, but it doesn't feel like I am. I was a 2 pack a day smoker during the last 6 months of 2010.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I think it could be due to the high nic content I'm currently using (36 mg). Might be getting more than I did on analogs? LOL Anyway, I'm happy with what I've got. Not sure if I really wanna switch to a lower nic content at this point as this seems to be working ok. But I guess since there's no way that I know of to measure how much nicotine one got from analogs, I won't know. Either way it's still healthier, even if it is more of an addiction than before right? :)

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I find I vape way more than I ever smoked, in fact I chain vape all day long and I'm more addicted to Nic than ever before. The Nic is extremely addictive and I'm finding it very hard to cut my mg's down, I've been vaping for a long time now, started at 36 for the first couple of weeks, than have been stuck on 24mg forever now, just recently 2 weeks ago I started making and ordering 18mg juices. I really think for some of us who have smoked for 20+ years like myself (25yrs) that it takes a longer time to cut down on the Nic levels and its an easier quitting technique with less side effects on the mind and body gradually moving down, after all we are use to it in our system for all those years as well as the 4000 other carcinogens and it just takes time to clear up the body and the hardest part is lowering your Nic level. Personally I know for me that taking it slow is a better remedy for me and its working slowly but surely and even if it takes me a couple of more years to get down to 0mg Nic Juice I know I'm extremely better off using vapor than I am the Analogs all day long.

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
The only thing that kept me from smoking as much as I vape was opportunity. I was a closet smoker so all the sneaking made it difficult to chain smoke, however I still managed to maintain a 2 PAD habit.

That being said,

I don't believe the e-cigs are more addictive. It's been suggested a few times that nicotine by itself isn't anywhere as addictive as when it's mixed with the MAOI's in tobacco cigarettes (not to mention all the other crap they toss in there). Although I do chain vape when I'm inactive, when I'm on the go or really busy, I'll go for hours and hours and not vape. When I was a smoker, no matter what I was doing, after an hour or so I'd have major nic fits. All I ever thought about was when I could get another smoke break.

I recently participated in an e-cig study at VCU and we had to go 12 hrs without using nicotine. I was apprehensive about that and puffed a few times on 0nic mostly due to habit, but I had no withdrawal symptoms going without.

I might be the exception, but I feel now that I want the nicotine, but don't necessarily NEED the nicotine. However, until I can conjure up a 0nic with the same throat hit..i'm keeping my nic.

Just my 2cents.

les017

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2010
Hacienda Heights, CA
Personally I do vape more than I smoked, but that was really only because of the logistics of smoking. When we used to smoke in the house and/or at work I was 2PAD Camel filters for sure. But that has been a while. Even though I vape more I do not feel nearly as addicted, at least as far as any nicotine-type craving are concerned. When I do have to go several hours without a vape I do not find myself getting antsy or panicing or irritable. I just would like a vape. Seems to me that after I get an equivalent vape-load on, that the satisfaction stays with me much much longer and in a smoother manner.

I smoked because I enjoyed smoking...I smoked as much as I did because I was addicted. For me I think vaping is somewhat the opposite. I vape because I am addicted...I vape as much as I do because I enjoy it.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
yeah; i agree... i vape way more, because it's more acceptable at home and in private... driving, whatever.

but.... once i got over the initial obsession with learning all i could about egigs... what equipt. , juices, accessories etc etc etc....once i feel i was entirely caught up in the vape world... just about... it's a choice.

Now, when i put it down... i can go for hours if i have to.. if i choose to... and you know what?

it makes it more enjoyable when i pick it up again.

MissKitty47

ECF Veteran
I read this somewhere, probably on the interwebs, so you KNOW it's true, lol, but say you're doing 36 mg nic...1 mil = 36 cigs, 18 mg nic 1 mil = 18 cigarettes. I have NO idea how they figure out how much is in an analog, but I kinda use it as a guide. I was 1 1/2 PAD smoker for 34 years and quickly went from 24-18 mg to 12 mg and a few fun flavors at 6 mg. Since I got my eGo T, I'm going thru so much juice, I figured I'd bettered lower the nic level. One obvious sign you're doing too much nic is BAD stomach issues, ie ........, stomach cramps...also headaches, nausea. Order a smallish bottle of lower nic and see how you like that level before you invest in a ton of juice. You can also cut the nic level with PG or VG, etc. Check out the DIY forum for more details, but it is possible to use the juice you already have. :)

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
At least I'm not alone in this. That's good to know :) Also good to know that others aren't having the same urges they once had as smokers. I can't really judge myself in that, as I I don't really put it down for very long. I have gone a few hours at a time without it, but mostly that's just when I'm asleep lol. Come to think of it though, when I have gone some time without it, the cravings aren't at all what they once were. So I guess what Les017 said at the end of his post is quite true.

MrSmith99

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Earth
I smoked because I enjoyed smoking...I smoked as much as I did because I was addicted. For me I think vaping is somewhat the opposite. I vape because I am addicted...I vape as much as I do because I enjoy it.

I love that quote. It's exactly how I feel. I tried to only vape the last quarter of every hour but that doesn't work for me. So I am just going to keep buying less mg juice until I'm at 6mg or zero. Then I will know for a fact that's it's just because I enjoy it and not because I have to.

ErikaG

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2011
Ohio USA
Www.erikasphotography.com
I read this somewhere, probably on the interwebs, so you KNOW it's true, lol, but say you're doing 36 mg nic...1 mil = 36 cigs, 18 mg nic 1 mil = 18 cigarettes. I have NO idea how they figure out how much is in an analog, but I kinda use it as a guide. I was 1 1/2 PAD smoker for 34 years and quickly went from 24-18 mg to 12 mg and a few fun flavors at 6 mg. Since I got my eGo T, I'm going thru so much juice, I figured I'd bettered lower the nic level. One obvious sign you're doing too much nic is BAD stomach issues, ie ........, stomach cramps...also headaches, nausea. Order a smallish bottle of lower nic and see how you like that level before you invest in a ton of juice. You can also cut the nic level
with PG or VG, etc. Check out the DIY forum for more details, but it is possible to use the juice you already have. :)

I read some 90 page thread on here that someone determined absorption rate with ecigs is 40%. So if that is true 1 ml of 36 mg nic = 14.4 mg of nic or 14 cigs. Not 36. Some have done blood tests and there is significantly less nicotine in the blood stream with vaping than with smoking.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I'm not sure that we have any reliable way to equate vaping or nicotine consumption to a cigarette equivalency. Everyone seems to vape a lot more than they smoked, irrespective of the nic strength they use.

I think most will find it a great deal easier to cut down their vaping consumption than their cigarette consumption, should they wish to do so. That might be in the form of less frequent use but at the same nic strength; or the same frequency but with lower nic; or both. Due to the reduction in the number of chemicals involved it is likely to be a lot easier for many.

However I don't see the need to remove nicotine from the equation entirely, for many if not most people. It does have benefits, and there is a probability that those benefits will be substantial for some people. It's similar to the question of cutting out coffee and tea: why do that anyway? But in the case of nicotine, I think it may be found that some need it for various reasons.

rabbit13

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2011
Los Angeles
I vape more than I smoked, regardless of mg strength, and have given a lot of thought as to why this is. I'm in a agreement about factors like more opportunities for use and I'll try to add a couple ideas, the first of which has been hinted at in this thread.

'Logs taste bad and they make you feel lousy, therefore it's difficult to chain smoke. This is why many seasoned chain smokers only smoke half their cigs: they don't want anymore cuz constantly inhaling smoke makes you feel sick- but then of course the Nic beast kicks in and they light another one.. W/ vaping it tastes good and you can keep doing it without feeling like you're about to puke or pass out.

Also, here's a totally unfounded theory, more of a question: Does Nicotine leave the bloodstream faster when vaped than when smoked?

wrigleyvillain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Chicago
Yeah I think we all vape more than we smoked, some of us a ton more but there are many reasons for this I figure. The fun factor of the gear, the flavor, the fact we can do it virtually anywhere and then also the fact that the nic uptake is not as effective/efficient as with cigs. That said, I do think I am getting a bit more addicted to nicotine but as long as I'm smoking so much less hopefully soon on to none than I'm not particularly concerned. The alternative-e.g. no vaping and the PAD still recent status quo-is so much worse.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I think I'm more "addicted" (quotated) to vaping than I was to smoking cigarettes. I also feel I am much LESS addicted to nicotine than I was when I was smoking cigarettes. Nicotine is absorbed more slowly, and most certainly less efficiently, by vaping than it is by smoking cigarettes. But, the simulation of smoking is sufficiently accurate to have allowed me to quit a 35 year 1.5 pack a day habit almost instantly. At 16 months, I feel I am nowhere near as dependent on nicotine as I was. It may be a little like an opiate addict overcoming their addiction via methadone, but only in the respect that vaping may be easier to quit than cigarette smoking. I have no immediate plans to quit vaping. However, I feel I would have nowhere near the trauma dropping vaping as I would have had going cold turkey off cigarettes. My present "addiction" is more of pleasure and habit, than it is chemical.

Vaping constantly, or chain vaping, may slack off a bit as time goes by. And, you might consider upping your nicotine level if you feel you've constantly got a monkey on your back. I note the OP has been vaping longer than I have. Have you only recently worried about your nicotine dependency?

Last edited:

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
My vaping has been off and on during all this time. I found the 801 I started with to be a huge hassle and too expensive to really bother with when I was doing ryo (before the tax hike). So it was more and off again/on again thing until I found the ego. I've gone back and gotten a pack here and there when I knew I'd be out and about or doing something when I couldn't really use the manual battery. But during my on again times, I find I'm vaping much more than I smoked. Not sure if it's the ease of using the e-cig or an actual need. Hence the reason I was finding out what you guys were feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread