Atomizer wick material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
The ones I have removed from atomizers have been a non burning material (will not burn, melt or discolour even when heated to the point that they are glowing in a blue flame) which suggests to me glass fibre or silica fibre is the more likely option. They are certainly not cotton which burns easily. I have read some claims that they can be made of aramid fibres (an example of this type of material is Nomex, often used in flameproof clothing) although these materials do eventually break down with exposure to extreme heat.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Can anybody tell me what the wick material inside the atomizer is made out of? I'm assuming it is either cotton or fiberglass.

Thanks.

There was much discussion of wicking on a cartomizer thread - they're adding wicking using silica rope and the properties seem to be the same as what is already in the cartos - basically can't burn it at temperatures produced by ecigs:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...iew-tips-info-help-video-439.html#post2379257

Note: it is the material on the right in picture.

The filler in the cartridge, PTB (pyramid tea bags that some use for filler) and blue foam (also a substitute) are all PET.

What is PET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread