Status
Not open for further replies.

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
gamingraynen.blogspot.com
I know this has been lightly discussed, but I've only found small amounts of discussion about vaping and oils. I do NOT think that vaping any kind of oil is safe, yet my favorite flavor is Snickerdoodle. Go figure that one. I'm seconds away from asking my supplier (Vaporbomb) if they use a cinnamon OIL-BASED flavor (or what they're using as a substitute), or any other oil-based flavor for that matter.

After seeing this video[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWizH6ZYvtA&feature=feedf ] from one of the April Fool's threads, which by the way was funny but sad that the FDA haven't given up :lol:, it really made me think about flavors that are oil based. Oil-inhalation sounds pretty bad for lungs and overall health.

Most of the threads here on ECF were atty-concerned rather than lung-concerned. I don't care if it screws up my atty, I care about my lungs now that I don't smoke cigarettes. Maybe it's time to make an "oil-free" vendors list, just like with diacetyl? I don't feel like stirring anything up, but I'm legitimately concerned. Thanks for any input :)

+Raynen

Last edited:

Zal42

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Oregon
Good to hear :vapor: I'm probably being paranoid, but this is seriously worrying me. Like I said, I love Snickerdoodle, but I don't know if the cinnamon is oil-based.

I use oils in my own DIY concoction with no sign of health problems. Personally, I don't worry for two reasons.

First, that the only things I can find that indicate health problems with oils are when some people are sensitive/allergic to certain ones. Cinnamon is often cited for this, but it can happen with any oil.

Second, oils are much more potent than other flavorings, and so much less is used. In my recipes that include oils, the oils component rarely exceeds 2%, with 1% being much more common. This is compared to the 10-20% for other flavorings. With such a small amount, any health risk should be equally minimized.

Of course, if oils aren't in your comfort zone, then I very much recommend that you don't use them. Lots of people do, though, with no ill effects.

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
In my recipes that include oils, the oils component rarely exceeds 2%, with 1% being much more common. This is compared to the 10-20% for other flavorings. With such a small amount, any health risk should be equally minimized.
:lol: This is where my blonde hair shows, but what do you mean by other flavorings? As in from other vendors?

Zal42

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Oregon
:lol: This is where my blonde hair shows, but what do you mean by other flavorings? As in from other vendors?

No, I mean non-oil-based flavorings. I'm talking about the flavorings used in juices, not the juices themselves. Only a very small fraction are oils. Most of them are pg-based, and the next-most are alcohol-based. The oils in my inventory right now are clove, anise, cinnamon, orange, lemon, and a couple different mints. The rest are pg based.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Not to make light of the subject, but I just wanted to point out the various oils we smoked every day, along with another 500 some odd ingredients, and 4000+ chemicals from the burning process.

Allspice Extract, Oleoresin, and Oil
Almond Bitter Oil
Amyris Oil
Angelica Root Extract, Oil and Seed Oil
Anise Star, Extract and Oils
Asafetida Fluid Extract And Oil
Balsam Peru and Oil
Basil Oil
Bay leaf, Oil and Sweet Oil
Bergamot Oil
Buchu Leaf Oil
Butter, Butter Esters, and Butter Oil
Cananga Oil
Caraway Oil
Cardamom Oleoresin, Extract, Seed Oil, and Powder
Carrot Oil
Cascarilla Oil and Bark Extract
Cassia Bark Oil
Cassie Absolute and Oil
Cedar Leaf Oil
Cedarwood Oil Terpenes and Virginiana
Celery Seed Extract, Solid, Oil, And Oleoresin
Chamomile Flower Oil And Extract
Cinnamon Leaf Oil, Bark Oil, and Extract
Citronella Oil
Clary Oil
Coconut Oil
Cognac White and Green Oil
Copaiba Oil
Coriander Extract and Oil
Corn Oil
Costus Root Oil
Cubeb Oil
Davana Oil
Dill Seed Oil and Extract
Fennel Sweet Oil
Galbanum Oil
Geranium Rose Oil
Ginger Oil and Oleoresin
Guaiac Wood Oil
Hops Oil
Hyssop Oil
Jasmine Absolute, Concrete and Oil
Lavandin Oil
Lavender oil
Lemon Oil and Extract
Lemongrass Oil
Lime Oil
Lovage Oil And Extract
Mandarin Oil
Myrrh Oil
Neroli Bigarde Oil
Nutmeg Powder and Oil
Oak chips extract and oil
Olibanum oil
Opoponax oil and gum
Orange oil and extract
Origanum oil
Orris concrete oil and root extract
Palmarosa Oil
Parsley Seed Oil
Patchouli Oil
Pepper Oil, Black And White
Peppermint Oil
Peruvian (Bois De Rose) Oil
Petitgrain Absolute, Mandarin Oil and Terpeneless Oil
Pimenta Leaf Oil
Pine Needle Oil, Pine Oil, Scotch
Rose Absolute and Oil
Rosemary Oil
Sage, Sage oil, and Sage oleoresin
Sandalwood oil, yellow
Snakeroot oil
Spearmint oil
Styrax extract, gum and oil
Tagetes Oil
Thyme Oil, White and Red
Valerian Root Extract, Oil and Powder
Vetiver Oil

This really makes me wonder how in world they had room for the actual tobacco! :p

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
No, I mean non-oil-based flavorings. I'm talking about the flavorings used in juices, not the juices themselves. Only a very small fraction are oils. Most of them are pg-based, and the next-most are alcohol-based. The oils in my inventory right now are clove, anise, cinnamon, orange, lemon, and a couple different mints. The rest are pg based.

Okay, sorry, just needed to clear it up. I don't feel ill or have had any bad side-effects. I feel better knowing that nothing serious (besides seeing the youtube video) has shown up so far.
Not to make light of the subject, but I just wanted to point out the various oils we smoked every day, along with another 500 some odd ingredients, and 4000+ chemicals from the burning process.

Allspice Extract, Oleoresin, and Oil
Almond Bitter Oil
Amyris Oil
Angelica Root Extract, Oil and Seed Oil
Anise Star, Extract and Oils
Asafetida Fluid Extract And Oil
Balsam Peru and Oil
Basil Oil
Bay leaf, Oil and Sweet Oil
Bergamot Oil
Buchu Leaf Oil
Butter, Butter Esters, and Butter Oil
Cananga Oil
Caraway Oil
Cardamom Oleoresin, Extract, Seed Oil, and Powder
Carrot Oil
Cascarilla Oil and Bark Extract
Cassia Bark Oil
Cassie Absolute and Oil
Cedar Leaf Oil
Cedarwood Oil Terpenes and Virginiana
Celery Seed Extract, Solid, Oil, And Oleoresin
Chamomile Flower Oil And Extract
Cinnamon Leaf Oil, Bark Oil, and Extract
Citronella Oil
Clary Oil
Coconut Oil
Cognac White and Green Oil
Copaiba Oil
Coriander Extract and Oil
Corn Oil
Costus Root Oil
Cubeb Oil
Davana Oil
Dill Seed Oil and Extract
Fennel Sweet Oil
Galbanum Oil
Geranium Rose Oil
Ginger Oil and Oleoresin
Guaiac Wood Oil
Hops Oil
Hyssop Oil
Jasmine Absolute, Concrete and Oil
Lavandin Oil
Lavender oil
Lemon Oil and Extract
Lemongrass Oil
Lime Oil
Lovage Oil And Extract
Mandarin Oil
Myrrh Oil
Neroli Bigarde Oil
Nutmeg Powder and Oil
Oak chips extract and oil
Olibanum oil
Opoponax oil and gum
Orange oil and extract
Origanum oil
Orris concrete oil and root extract
Palmarosa Oil
Parsley Seed Oil
Patchouli Oil
Pepper Oil, Black And White
Peppermint Oil
Peruvian (Bois De Rose) Oil
Petitgrain Absolute, Mandarin Oil and Terpeneless Oil
Pimenta Leaf Oil
Pine Needle Oil, Pine Oil, Scotch
Rose Absolute and Oil
Rosemary Oil
Sage, Sage oil, and Sage oleoresin
Sandalwood oil, yellow
Snakeroot oil
Spearmint oil
Styrax extract, gum and oil
Tagetes Oil
Thyme Oil, White and Red
Valerian Root Extract, Oil and Powder
Vetiver Oil

This really makes me wonder how in world they had room for the actual tobacco! :p

I know! It's crazy the amount of garbage that was in cigarettes, cigarettes that I used to INHALE! Now that I've quit, I'm a bit of a health nut :laugh:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I know this has been lightly discussed, but I've only found small amounts of discussion about vaping and oils. I do NOT think that vaping any kind of oil is safe, yet my favorite flavor is Snickerdoodle. Go figure that one. I'm seconds away from asking my supplier (Vaporbomb) if they use a cinnamon OIL-BASED flavor (or what they're using as a substitute), or any other oil-based flavor for that matter.

After seeing this video[ YouTube - Bad news for E-cig Users ] from one of the April Fool's threads, which by the way was funny but sad that the FDA haven't given up :lol:, it really made me think about flavors that are oil based. Oil-inhalation sounds pretty bad for lungs and overall health.

Most of the threads here on ECF were atty-concerned rather than lung-concerned. I don't care if it screws up my atty, I care about my lungs now that I don't smoke cigarettes. Maybe it's time to make an "oil-free" vendors list, just like with diacetyl? I don't feel like stirring anything up, but I'm legitimately concerned. Thanks for any input :)

+Raynen

Your concern isn't totally unfounded. Nick at DV/TW knows a lot about this since he makes ejuice. Here's a few links to his 'Ask Nick' forum:

Will a Clove E-Liquid Be Available?

concentrate composition

Note in the last one he says: "Essential oils are generally fine as ingredients, but obviously check the MSDS to ensure they're suitable for internal use (some herb oils, like Dill, can be very hazardous!)"

kraylen

Mar 16, 2011
Salinas, California
Cinnamon oil by lorann is my favorite vape. I've not had any health problems due to it.

Health problems as far as what? I mean... vaporizing oil for less than a year hardly signifies what effects it may or may not have long term. I smoked cigarettes for years before noticing/feeling any sort of health alterations, with that in mind I believe if is far-fetched to assume safety in relation to vaporizing oil for a potential 226.14 days. Just my two pennies.

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
Some info on essential oils from a thread on UK Vapers about essential oils. I've direct linked to the two posts that seemed most interesting:

Comments from Flavourart
Comments from Decadent Vapours

Hmmm. Even if it's small amounts, it still makes me ponder about it. I know cigarettes are insanely horrible for health, but I quit for that reason; it would be upsetting if things go downhill with vaping because of some stupid oils.

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
It doesn't look to hard to avoid oil in your vape.

So if that's a concern you have, I'd talk to your vendors. Get liquid without oil.

I think everybody has to admit, though- vaping is a bit of an unknown where health risks are concerned. It is obviously, provably, and dramatically SAFER than cigarette smoking, so where that is the alternative, vape away. Vape lots. Vape and vape and vape and vape, instead of a single day back on the smoking habit.

But...is this really a lifetime habit?

I'm greatful to the vape, for getting me off the smoke. But I have to say, I feel like I should ease off the vape too. Long term, I like my health prospects better as a non-consuming nicotine addict.

Best,
Ande

freeall

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Canada
Dont worry, everyone here will tell you that they're doing fine after vaping for one year and everything we are doing here is completely healthy.

/eyeroll

Yeah, and what's your point?

I've read in a couple threads now about you whining about the effects of vaping. I dont get it.

Of course vaping isnt "healthy", but what the hell is in the world we live?

If you don't like it, don't do it.

CoughingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2010
US

I've read in a couple threads now about you whining about the effects of vaping. I dont get it.

I dont think thats joes point. Yes we all want to believe vaping is not as harmful as smoking, and most likely it isnt. But there are just too much unknowns. And thats why we are here, discuss and try to find out these unknowns. Its not uncommon to read posts where people ignore the possible side effects of ecig, convincing themselves (and others) everything is ok.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Hmmm. Even if it's small amounts, it still makes me ponder about it. I know cigarettes are insanely horrible for health, but I quit for that reason; it would be upsetting if things go downhill with vaping because of some stupid oils.

As is explained in those links I put up, when you talk about oils you have to distinguish between fixed oils and essential oils. The former includes fats like sunflower oil. The latter being very potent, distinct tasting and smelling natural oils that are used as "building blocks" in many flavourings. Flavourings that are "oil based" (meaning the flavouring is dissolved in a base of fixed oil) should never, ever be used in e-liquid. I'm not sure there is any reason to avoid flavourings that contain essential oils in e-liquid though. I think that would severely limit your choices as so many flavourings do contain essential oils.

Using "oil based" flavourings in e-cigs is bad because the oil base does not readily vaporise. It will just burn in the atomizer.

Last edited:

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
Drats. . .I'm dead in the water. All I've vaped since I started is Cinnamon. And all I want to vape is Cinnamon. I don't suppose there's any way to get Cinnamon flavor without actually using Cinnamon oil is there? Damn, life was great, and somebody had to come along and rain on my parade. And me with about a year's worth of Cinnamon Mist in stock.

Cheers,
otrpu

joegti240

Moved On
Jan 5, 2011
Long Island, NY

Because every time i walk into one of these threads where some kind of 'concern' is raised its the same handful of professional vapers that will say how bad regular cigarettes were and how vaping is perfectly safe.

Vaping has not been around long enough (and probably wont be for some time) to make any type of determination on whether its truly 'safe' or not for the human body.

And im not whining anywhere, its called being aware of whats going in my body. I know everyone here is an ex cig smoker that didnt give a flying **** for many many years about that toxic smoke, whats so different about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread