Status
Not open for further replies.

BuffaloX

Apr 1, 2011
Copenhagen

BuffaloX

Apr 1, 2011
Copenhagen
I'm on ubuntu myself. I downloaded a spreadsheet in the DIY forum. Open Office converted it fine. Works great and no fooling with Wine which I've yet to bother to use.

Great that it works too. :)

I just switched from Windows 7 to Ubuntu, so I had no idea about this. You are awesome, thank you!!!

A lot of Windows programs actually work with Wine, but sometimes you need something like .net, if you want an easy way to install those Windows add ons, Winetricks is perfect.
winetricks - The Official Wine Wiki
If you have any problems, feel free to ask.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm sure most DIY juice mixers know of this handy little program, that helps make your mixes exactly the way you want them.

eJuice Me Up - e-Juice e-Liquid Recipe Calculator

It comes with a few handy recipes, and more recipes can be found here:

eJuice Recipe Downloads

If you want to run this on Linux, just install wine and .net first, works like a charm.:smokie:

Interesting BuffaloX, glad that you can use the program. I had posted the redistribution link somewhere for the 3.5 .net framework package for Wine.

BuffaloX

Apr 1, 2011
Copenhagen
Interesting BuffaloX, glad that you can use the program. I had posted the redistribution link somewhere for the 3.5 .net framework package for Wine.

Hi Breaktru and thanks for a great program.

I Googled it before I tried, and I almost didn't bother to try, because the only Linux reference I could find, was that there was no planned support for Linux. Have you by any chance ever tried
Lazarus?

It would be perfectly suited for programs like this, you can do the GUI stuff in seconds, and you can compile for Windows Mac and Linux.

Last edited:

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi Breaktru and thanks for a great program.

I Googled it before I tried, and I almost didn't bother to try, because the only Linux reference I could find, was that there was no planned support for Linux. Have you by any chance ever tried
Lazarus?

It would be perfectly suited for programs like this, you can do the GUI stuff in seconds, and you can compile for Windows Mac and Linux.

I am thrilled BuffaloX that it is functional for your use and thank you for the complement.
No haven't tried Lazarus. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the tip. I'd love to support those not using windows.

BuffaloX

Apr 1, 2011
Copenhagen
Greetings,

First post for me. Replying from OpenSolaris onnv_142 x86 box. e-juice calculator opens fine in OpenOffice. All heavy M$ lifting is done, using VirtualBox.

Best wishes,

MR

VirtualBox is cool too, but it doesn't support DirectX very well, requires much more resources than Wine, and finally Windows requires a license. Otherwise it is fine.

mad_russian

Apr 3, 2011
ON, Canada
VirtualBox is cool too, but it doesn't support DirectX very well, requires much more resources than Wine, and finally Windows requires a license. Otherwise it is fine.

BuffaloX,
It's sad, but the days when Apache would use 640K - and ispell would occupy 32K are over. The modest current H/W seems to be adequate for runnning a couple of guest hosts in parallel. And I just love the fact that I can pass USB peripherals to guests. And have unlimited snapshots, both within VIrtualBox, and on ZFS level.

Best wishes,
MR

PS. Is DirectX still in use?

BuffaloX

Apr 1, 2011
Copenhagen
BuffaloX,
It's sad, but the days when Apache would use 640K - and ispell would occupy 32K are over. The modest current H/W seems to be adequate for runnning a couple of guest hosts in parallel. And I just love the fact that I can pass USB peripherals to guests. And have unlimited snapshots, both within VIrtualBox, and on ZFS level.

Best wishes,
MR

PS. Is DirectX still in use?

Yeah I guess the resources are a minor concern with todays hardware. I was a bit in a hurry before, so my previous post was a bit off, sorry. Maybe I'm sometimes a bit stuck in the past, because I've been using computers since the early 80's, and I sometimes forget how much things keep changing.

I didn't mean to diss VirtualBox, it does some things that Wine can't and vice versa, but if both can do the task, I think Wine is preferable because you don't need a license for Windows, and the program actually runs natively not emulated.
With VirtualBox i suppose your system is better shielded from Viruses.

Yes DirectX is used for many games, and some media players.

BuffaloX

Apr 1, 2011
Copenhagen
I am thrilled BuffaloX that it is functional for your use and thank you for the complement.
No haven't tried Lazarus. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the tip. I'd love to support those not using windows.

Linux is in many cases relatively easy to support, you can install it free on a virtual machine, and .net programs should in most cases work with Mono which is a Linux port of .net.
Personally I think Lazarus is amazing, and it compiles natively to each platform.

mad_russian

Apr 3, 2011
ON, Canada
Yeah I guess the resources are a minor concern with todays hardware. I was a bit in a hurry before, so my previous post was a bit off, sorry. Maybe I'm sometimes a bit stuck in the past, because I've been using computers since the early 80's, and I sometimes forget how much things keep changing.

I didn't mean to diss VirtualBox, it does some things that Wine can't and vice versa, but if both can do the task, I think Wine is preferable because you don't need a license for Windows, and the program actually runs natively not emulated.
With VirtualBox i suppose your system is better shielded from Viruses.

Yes DirectX is used for many games, and some media players.

BuffaloX,

Yes, the modern hardware helps a lot to deal with code inefficiencies. Look how bloated Linux kernel gets. Used to be small and fast - not so much these days. Oh, well...

Completely agree with you on a license. If that's an obstacle (for various reasons), avoid it... Actually, I'm thinking of getting Bordeaux installed at some point, for the same reasons that you've outlined:
Bordeaux Software | The Bordeaux Technology Group

Thanks for clarifying the DirectX situation. The music creation software that brought me to Windows side, stopped using it at all, the support has been dropped since introduction of Vista.

Best wishes,
MR

PS.
As for viruses, the complete wipeout (revert to snapshot, takes 2-3 seconds) is hard to beat for me.... but not to my employer. Last summer we've been forced by auditors to install Anti-Virus for Linux at work. I've been simply told: if you don't install it, you fail the audit. :ohmy:

Great that it works too. :)

A lot of Windows programs actually work with Wine, but sometimes you need something like .net, if you want an easy way to install those Windows add ons, Winetricks is perfect.
winetricks - The Official Wine Wiki
If you have any problems, feel free to ask.

Thank you for the offer, but I'll just make Mr. Shriek do it. When it comes to technology, I get frustrated quickly and end up running around like a rabid chimpanzee on Adderall trying to smash the offending device. (Seriously, all I have to do is look at my iPod now and I froth at the mouth, I can only imagine what my computer would make me do.) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread