Status
Not open for further replies.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Does anyone know the approx life span of E juice as I have purchased 600 mils in case they outlaw it in
australia?.

If the nicotine in the base PG/VG is fresh (recently extracted or having been stored in a dark/cool environment without oxygen), AND you store the juice in a dark/cool environment with the cap on- you can get two years.

You can see the degradation in 100mg per ml over time as it discolors. It starts turning brownish- which is a sign of oxidation. The same thing can be seen with light colored already-mixed juices which are lower concentrations.

I would trust premixed vendor made juices for about a year. If you have made your own, and the nic is clear at the time you make it, you may get to that 24 month mark.

Some vendors claim 24 months on their juices, and some of those vendors are correct based on their own knowledge of their materials.

jkwutvk

Apr 17, 2011
TN
If the nicotine in the base PG/VG is fresh (recently extracted or having been stored in a dark/cool environment without oxygen), AND you store the juice in a dark/cool environment with the cap on- you can get two years.

You can see the degradation in 100mg per ml over time as it discolors. It starts turning brownish- which is a sign of oxidation. The same thing can be seen with light colored already-mixed juices which are lower concentrations.

I would trust premixed vendor made juices for about a year. If you have made your own, and the nic is clear at the time you make it, you may get to that 24 month mark.

Some vendors claim 24 months on their juices, and some of those vendors are correct based on their own knowledge of their materials.

This is good to know. Is there any tale tale signs that it could be bad or outside of that one to two year range aside from the darker coloration? I'll use the example of milk, it's pretty easy to bad milkl, it smells rancid. If it has passed it's prime does it pose any risk if used?

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
This is good to know. Is there any tale tale signs that it could be bad or outside of that one to two year range aside from the darker coloration? I'll use the example of milk, it's pretty easy to bad milkl, it smells rancid. If it has passed it's prime does it pose any risk if used?

I'm not qualified to answer past that. Those are good questions.

It would be pretty hard to get ahold of juice that was really really old. A large number of USA based juice vendors blend on demand. You order, they mix the bottle. Those that premix are generally doing volume which turns over their inventory pretty quick. Some of these companies put either an expiration or "Born on Date" on the bottle.

The Chinese juice may be a question mark. Genuine Dekang juice has a expiration date stamp on the side of the bottle. Other Chinese companies may or may not. USA Resellers who rebottle or alter Dekang juice may or may not.

Ecopure, by Intellicig in the UK, if I remember correctly... has a date stamp.

So if the juice you buy has an expiration or "Born on Date"- that is a good tell tale sign :)

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I've read in a number of threads here on ECF that, given proper conditions (cool and dark) two years could be expected.
You can see the degradation in 100mg per ml over time as it discolors. It starts turning brownish- which is a sign of oxidation.
I saw that discoloration first hand, for the first time, this evening.

I purchased two bottles of 100mg unflavored more than a year ago, both from the same purchase & supplier. They've been stored together under identical conditions, excepting one of the bottle's seal had been broken to use some of the liquid ... that was perhaps nine months ago.

I finally got around to obtaining more bottles and base liquid to cut the 100mg down. When doing so the difference was unmistakable. The bottle with the unbroken seal was still clear as water. The opened bottle was markedly darker. I'm a bit color deficient, so I'll take your word for it that it is brown ... although I was thinking more yellowish.

My question is, does that coloration mean the liquid no longer effectively is 100mg? Or does it mean the taste will be off? Or is it only a matter of color insofar as the usability of the liquid is concerned?

Last edited:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I've read in a number of threads here on ECF that, given proper conditions (cool and dark) two years could be expected.

I saw that discoloration first hand, for the first time, this evening.

I purchased two bottles of 100mg unflavored more than a year ago, both from the same purchase & supplier. They've been stored together under identical conditions, excepting one of the bottle's seal had been broken to use some of the liquid ... that was perhaps nine months ago.

I finally got around to obtaining more bottles and base liquid to cut the 100mg down. When doing so the difference was unmistakable. The bottle with the unbroken seal was still clear as water. The opened bottle was markedly darker. I'm a bit color deficient, so I'll take your word for it that it is brown ... although I was thinking more yellowish.

My question is, does that coloration mean the liquid no longer effectively is 100mg? Or does it mean the taste will be off? Or is it only a matter of color insofar as the usability of the liquid is concerned?

I'm not qualified to answer this one.

Ask this question in the Nicotine forum... You'll get some good information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread