PG Allergies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if the allergic reaction was from the cherry (cash e-liquid) or just the length of time it took for the PG to build up in my system. I get choked up and get hives from the PG vapors from the smoke machines they use at clubs so I had a feeling I may be allergic.

To others who had allergic reaction.. how long after starting e-cigs did u get it? What happened to you? What flavor were you using?

My reaction was...

Hives on upper body (mostly arms and waist... I remember someone else had it on the waist)

Sensitive teeth (to an EXTREME). Could not open my motuh outside because the AIR hurt my teeth!

Sore gums and roof of mouth (so bad I had an icepack on my face cause I couldn't put anything cold in my mouth cause my teeth were so sensitive!!!)

Mild difficulty breathing

Sporadic neck and back pains coming in sharp waves with movement.

Hi Spikey,

I don't know much on the allergy side (other than that some people are allergic), but there are also non-propylene glycol[=non-PG] eliquids available. Johnson Creek makes a glycerin-based liquid, and I think this (or homebrews) are what people here have used if they are sensitive to PG.

Thanks for the suggestion... I am using the JC NON PG formula now. It helps the allergies, but sucks for flavor and taste. Their flavors are not strong enough for me.

nakli_dhumrapan

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2008
Illinois
www.jnanam.net
Thanks for the suggestion... I am using the JC NON PG formula now. It helps the allergies, but sucks for flavor and taste. Their flavors are not strong enough for me.

What flavours have you tried?

I like the Tennessee Cured, Original Tobacco, and Vanilla Ice Cream; Strawberry and Peach aren't bad either.

The other thing - somewhere here, there's a thread about adding 'Tobacco Spray-on flavours' to eliquids, to enhance the flavour.... here it is:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/5707-tobacco-flavorings-enhancers.html

ArizonaVapin

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2009
US, AZ
Spikey I'm not sure you are having a problem or allergy to PG.

This is why:

When I started vaping I immediately went to JC for the liquid because they are made in the US and I trusted them more. I ordered the PG sampler and had no bad reactions. Then I ordered the VG (because it is natural and not synthetic). I had no problem with the VG either. Unfortunately, with JC liquid, if I didn't clean my atty every hour or so, I'd end up with a fried atty.

I then thought, let me try the China stuff. Nobody seems to have died from it yet. I ordered a bottle of 36mg from TW. (Extremely fast shipping btw) As soon as I took a few puffs, I got dizzy, (prob from nicotine) and immediately got hives on my arm. I was itchcy all over and started having breathing problems. (I have asthma that is triggered by allergies) I have been vaping the TW liquid for a 2 weeks now and my reactions have lessened quite a bit over that time. I don't get dizzy or get hives anymore, but still do get itchy and occasionally need an inhaler (once a day or so).

My opinion is that there is something in the Chinese liquid that we are either allergic to, or is somewhat toxic. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else experienced any of this?

Spikey, to test my theory you could buy a small bottle of PG from JC. I can't send you mine because I sent it back.

GreySaber

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2009
Savannah, Ga
I had a pretty nasty itchy lung feeling when I was vaping Njoy tradisional flavor... But only when I lay down. This has gone away since I started vaping other things, but I've also reduced my smoking to one cig every thrid day or so, (Which is more my thinking "I want a real cig" then an actual craving... I just keep expecting the real cig to be different, but it isn't, so I put it out.)

So it might have been the tar comeing out or something. Hard to know...

Someone posted the arrlegic reaction guide in the topic "Burning in Throat" you might look there.

bigeyes

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2009
I had a low-grade headache from cartridges, and felt like I had a cold. Stuffed head, scratchy throat, got a little wheezy.

Got some VG juice and started alternating between a kissbox and an 801 penstyle and all the problems went away, so I have to conclude it was the PG in the cartridges. When I go back to the other e-cig and use the old carts the symptoms come back within a short time.

I know there was PG in regular cigs, but I wonder if most of it evaporated? I did have a stopped up head every morning first thing when I smoked, but I don't recall it being as bad, and it didn't last all day.

Last edited:

MissVapor

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
Vapin Hot Florida
Hi Spikey,
It really is so hard to tell what it may be from especially since we don't know what all the ingredients are...but I can tell you after using PG for a week my skin got itchy like there were bugs crawling all over me along with wheezing..

I've been using PEG for 4 days now from Nuvape and don't have those symptoms yet so Im hopeful..

booboo

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't get hives or itchy from pg, it just makes me feel like sh*t. I get a headache almost instantly, all my joints/muscles start aching, my brain feels scrambled, I get random chest pains and heart palps without od'ing, feel all dried out and flu-ish. I don't think it's necessarily an allergy, just more of a yucky experience that I try to avoid, lol. It makes me feel "creepy". All of the pg I've tried is from China, however, I do have a similar reaction using Lorann's (which has pg in it) to mix my own. I love JC Tennesse Cured, so it's all good (unless they make me wait 2 weeks for my order ike this time!) Just got some non-pg from Nuvape, but not trying it until I get this 2 weeks of home brew out of my system.

Spikey I'm not sure you are having a problem or allergy to PG.

This is why:

When I started vaping I immediately went to JC for the liquid because they are made in the US and I trusted them more. I ordered the PG sampler and had no bad reactions. Then I ordered the VG (because it is natural and not synthetic). I had no problem with the VG either. Unfortunately, with JC liquid, if I didn't clean my atty every hour or so, I'd end up with a fried atty.

I then thought, let me try the China stuff. Nobody seems to have died from it yet. I ordered a bottle of 36mg from TW. (Extremely fast shipping btw) As soon as I took a few puffs, I got dizzy, (prob from nicotine) and immediately got hives on my arm. I was itchcy all over and started having breathing problems. (I have asthma that is triggered by allergies) I have been vaping the TW liquid for a 2 weeks now and my reactions have lessened quite a bit over that time. I don't get dizzy or get hives anymore, but still do get itchy and occasionally need an inhaler (once a day or so).

My opinion is that there is something in the Chinese liquid that we are either allergic to, or is somewhat toxic. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else experienced any of this?

Spikey, to test my theory you could buy a small bottle of PG from JC. I can't send you mine because I sent it back.

I have tried a number of different liquids (both PG and VG). I have known I was allergic to PG since before I started vaping. I used to work in a club and the smoke machine would make my face break out and I would get hives and have difficulty breathing.

I am not doubting that you may be right however... in fact I am making my own liquids because I suspect that JC gets their nic liquids from China and just mixes their flavors here. I just ordered a few more VG type liquids from China from a few other suppliers and will let you know how I do with that. Next time I order JC I will order a small bottle of PG as well and try it just to see how it goes.

Hi Spikey,
It really is so hard to tell what it may be from especially since we don't know what all the ingredients are...but I can tell you after using PG for a week my skin got itchy like there were bugs crawling all over me along with wheezing..

I've been using PEG for 4 days now from Nuvape and don't have those symptoms yet so Im hopeful..
Miss Vapor.. is Nuvape's "NON PG" made of PEG? I just ordered some and now I am not sure that was wise. If I have a reaction I will share it here.

I don't get hives or itchy from pg, it just makes me feel like sh*t. I get a headache almost instantly, all my joints/muscles start aching, my brain feels scrambled, I get random chest pains and heart palps without od'ing, feel all dried out and flu-ish. I don't think it's necessarily an allergy, just more of a yucky experience that I try to avoid, lol. It makes me feel "creepy". All of the pg I've tried is from China, however, I do have a similar reaction using Lorann's (which has pg in it) to mix my own. I love JC Tennesse Cured, so it's all good (unless they make me wait 2 weeks for my order ike this time!) Just got some non-pg from Nuvape, but not trying it until I get this 2 weeks of home brew out of my system.

This all sounds just about right. muscle pain and aches in my FACE got so bad I had to ice my face for HOURS!!!! God that was so bad!!! Let me know how the Nuvape goes.. I just ordered some.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
Here is my PG/VG experience and why I only use VG.

I started with a Smoking Everywhere 4081 and used nothing but Smoking Everywhere carts for several weeks. Everything was fine. No bad reactions, no discomfort.

Then I discovered an In Life kiosk in a mall and started buying liquid there. A dram was lasting me four to five days. I did not know about dripping yet and was refilling carts and puffing the hell out of them to get every last drop. By my third dram I was starting to experience a pretty sore throat. It was uncomfortable but not so bad it was unbearable.

I thought it was because the SE carts did not have as high a nic content as the juice I was using so I got weaker juice. That went on for another two drams.

During that time I found this place. Shortly thereafter I ordered the CASH sampler from pure smoker because I still had not figured out the whole PG/VG thing yet. A day or so later I started to figure it out from reading this forum. Probably two days after ordering the CASH juice I ordered a Johnson Creek sampler pack in VG.

I vaped some of the CASH liquid and wow, my throat went to just unbearable and my voice was very raspy and I was even loosing my voice when I tried to really project to fill a large room. Swallowing was difficult and smoking the non tobacco smokable that I did not give up was out and out painful.

When the JC sample pack arrived I immediately switched to the VG liquids. In a matter of two days everything was mostly cleared up. By the time 5 days had passed I had no traces of the effects I was feeling before.

Since then I only vape VG. An interesting point that I need to jump back a bit for is that when I was using the SE 4081 exclusively with carts I obviously had to make a few visits to the mall. In one of my conversations with one of the people at the at the kiosk, he had mentioned that the carts were made with a type of vegetable oil. The guy was obviously an idiot but the moral of the story is as overpriced as they are, SE is a PG allergic 'friendly brand' as best as I can tell.

DW

MissVapor

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
Vapin Hot Florida
Miss Vapor.. is Nuvape's "NON PG" made of PEG? I just ordered some and now I am not sure that was wise. If I have a reaction I will share it here.

Yes,,,Nuvape is PEG ..but I have to tell you..I feel really great since I started using it..no headaches..no "tired" feeling..no wheezing...and today was the first day I've had enough energy to go on a jog ever since I started vaping...

I had no ambition to do that a week ago..its really worth a try..and when you get it..don't mix it with anything else in between so you know for sure how you will react...

If I remember correctly, you are a zero nic girl, right? Im not sure how the zero nic samples will taste, but I can tell you the vapor production is awesome, very similar to VG...the smoke just hangs around for awhile..:D

ArizonaVapin

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2009
US, AZ
I have tried a number of different liquids (both PG and VG). I have known I was allergic to PG since before I started vaping. I used to work in a club and the smoke machine would make my face break out and I would get hives and have difficulty breathing.

I am not doubting that you may be right however... in fact I am making my own liquids because I suspect that JC gets their nic liquids from China and just mixes their flavors here. I just ordered a few more VG type liquids from China from a few other suppliers and will let you know how I do with that. Next time I order JC I will order a small bottle of PG as well and try it just to see how it goes.

Thanks for your input Spikey! On second thought thought...Maybe it's not a good idea for you to try JC if you are sure that you are allergic. We just need someone who is just getting itchy all over with PG from China to try some JC PG. I'm almost positive that I am not allergic to PG or VG. I can put a drop of Loranns right on my atty and have no bad reaction.(Dont try this at home with a strong flavor) Lorann is mostly pure PG.

I really doubt JC gets anything from China. Unless it is just pure Nic which they would need a license for. They didn't seem to even have a hicup with shipments when the whole FDA thing started. Granted they take a week or two to ship, but from what I read, that is typical for JC. They would be the only brand I vape if it wasn't for the fact that my attys have to be cleaned hourly. If not, they stop working completely after clogging and frying. The TW stuff is is great with the attys but bad on my lungs among other things.

There seems to only be a handful of actual manufacturers in China. Maybe we could figure out which ones are good, and which ones aren't. Does anyone know who the manufacturer for TW is? I hope its not Ruyan because I have a shipment from them on the way. Logically, if any liquid from China is ever tested privately, it would be theirs. They would also have the most to lose from bad press as well. Ruyan also has been the only one tested. Other than barely traceable amounts of formaldahyde, it seemed to be ok. (A little formaldahyde never killed anybody, right? And it tastes much better than Arsenic ;))

If anyone has any info to share about a bad reaction with one manufacturer and not with another, I'd LOVE to know what manufacturer in China has no bad reaction. Note: I'm looking for the name of a manufacturer, and not a supplier.

ArizonaVapin

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2009
US, AZ
DW,

Do your atomizers hold up ok with JC? Or have I just had really bad luck? The stuff tastes so good that I tried...and tried...and tried...

In in a bit of a liquid dilemna here. The safe stuff kills my hardware. And the stuff that is nice to my hardware is bad for me.

Either way...I've ordered liquid from all over the world and will keep you all posted.

These are on the way:
Ecopure, Ruyan, and Freesmoke

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
DW,

Do your atomizers hold up ok with JC? Or have I just had really bad luck? The stuff tastes so good that I tried...and tried...and tried...

In in a bit of a liquid dilemna here. The safe stuff kills my hardware. And the stuff that is nice to my hardware is bad for me.

Either way...I've ordered liquid from all over the world and will keep you all posted.

These are on the way:

I would not say I have any noticeable problems. I had a 901 atomizer die 2 days after getting it so I chalk that one up to being defective. I had one 4081 atomizer die because a battery problem. Other than that I have only had two 4081 atomizers die on me. Thats it for about 4 months of vaping.

I do try to stick with the same one or two atomizers for each of my devices and I would consider myself to be a heavy vaper.

I do cut my liquids with USP VG though and it is not entirely to often that I am vaping pure JC liquid. I also do not use any flavor besides original tobacco since I finished the sample pack. Maybe one day JC will get around to sending my most recent order and I can up my flavor list to include a bottle of tenesee cured.

I mostly vape unflavored from juicy liquids. I buy it 36mg strength and cut it down with USP VG to make different strengths for different times of the day. I spent to many night up all night because I am non stop vaping 24mg or better so I vape lower at night and higher during the day.

DW

I would not say I have any noticeable problems. I had a 901 atomizer die 2 days after getting it so I chalk that one up to being defective. I had one 4081 atomizer die because a battery problem. Other than that I have only had two 4081 atomizers die on me. Thats it for about 4 months of vaping.

I do try to stick with the same one or two atomizers for each of my devices and I would consider myself to be a heavy vaper.

I do cut my liquids with USP VG though and it is not entirely to often that I am vaping pure JC liquid. I also do not use any flavor besides original tobacco since I finished the sample pack. Maybe one day JC will get around to sending my most recent order and I can up my flavor list to include a bottle of tenesee cured.

I mostly vape unflavored from juicy liquids. I buy it 36mg strength and cut it down with USP VG to make different strengths for different times of the day. I spent to many night up all night because I am non stop vaping 24mg or better so I vape lower at night and higher during the day.

DW
Just got a bottle of Tenn cured from JC. It is zero nic but I will bring it to the Vapers Club meeting Fri so you can try some. It is so tasty! You are coming.. right? Bringin the woman this time so we can all meet her?

DW,

These are on the way:
I have been vaping JC non-pg and home made VG and have not had any problems with atomizers EXCEPT with the JC wild cherry. All others have been no problem.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
I had the tenn cured in the sample pack so I know how good it is.

I will be there but my wife is going to be playing poker in manhattan. I don't think she is entirely fond of you. She had an internet savvy friend help her out and she looked over your website 8-o. I offered to pay for a few sessions in the labyrinth for her so she could get to know you better but that just seemed to make things worse.:confused:

The job I was on ran out of material today and I got laid off so i should be able to make it for the vape in too but if I get a call from the union I have to work.

DW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread