Apex Vapor Alpha Information Page; Have Questions, Concerns, Suggestions, New Product Requests, or Want to Ask N8T the Alpha engineer a question? Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flebo

Nov 20, 2009
I've had my ultra with RES for a little bit under a week, and I can say, without a doubt, its the best pv I own (with one slight hitch). The form factor is very, very, very cool. It's one of the few pvs that I own that people are impressed by. For function, it works every time. No dry hits, just thick, delicous, clouds of vapor. But the hitch is that when my hands get sweaty, I can't get the button to fire. Now this is not a major issue, but one I would to have a solution for it. Any thoughts?

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
I've had my ultra with RES for a little bit under a week, and I can say, without a doubt, its the best pv I own (with one slight hitch). The form factor is very, very, very cool. It's one of the few pvs that I own that people are impressed by. For function, it works every time. No dry hits, just thick, delicous, clouds of vapor. But the hitch is that when my hands get sweaty, I can't get the button to fire. Now this is not a major issue, but one I would to have a solution for it. Any thoughts?

Gloves... Napkin.... Superglue on fingertips.... Just kidding.

LOL-but have seriously used a napkin to get enough friction to activate it, just looking for a much more elegant solution.

Griptape?

A couple things here, and I'll get another video out soon to cover these as well:

1- Squeezing hard makes it harder (insert joke here). Really though, it's more a matter of sliding your thumb across the switch than squeezing.

2- Keep hands clean, and if you have lotion or any oily stuff on your hands, wipe it off so you don't lube up the switch.

3- Use the Cape Cod polishing cloth on the inside of the main body, and ONLY the top and bottom of the inner battery sleeve (keep it off the middle of the inner battery sleeve, i.e. the area visible when it is assembled).

Try these and let us know how it works. -and I'll get the video out shortly.

Cheers!

Nate

Lazerrred

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2010
Flo SC, USA
Hey N8T, I've been using method 3-which helped alot, and I guess Ill just cut a small section of shamwow to carry around with me to keep my hands dry, because when my hands get sweaty, I just can't get traction on the switch. But, I was also wondering, will you make an innerbattery sleeve with some crosscut grooves on it for extra grip?
Or maybe media blasting the center section for more traction ?

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Hey N8T, I've been using method 3-which helped alot, and I guess Ill just cut a small section of shamwow to carry around with me to keep my hands dry, because when my hands get sweaty, I just can't get traction on the switch. But, I was also wondering, will you make an innerbattery sleeve with some crosscut grooves on it for extra grip?

This is not an elegant solution but it works great for me, I ordered some skateboard grip tape and I cut a couple small pieces and placed them on the batt tube, now I get a grip every time. pun intended. before I got the grip tape I used a small piece of blue painters tape. I actually was hoping that the grip tape was a bit thinner so I could put tape down in the lower part of the batt tube, so it would wrap all the way around without disturbing the sliding of the switch but it is a hair to thick. I even thought of using some sandpaper to scuff it up a bit but I dont want to remove the nickel plating because this thing looks so sweet so solution for now is the tape.

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
This is not an elegant solution but it works great for me, I ordered some skateboard grip tape and I cut a couple small pieces and placed them on the batt tube, now I get a grip every time. pun intended. before I got the grip tape I used a small piece of blue painters tape. I actually was hoping that the grip tape was a bit thinner so I could put tape down in the lower part of the batt tube, so it would wrap all the way around without disturbing the sliding of the switch but it is a hair to thick. I even thought of using some sandpaper to scuff it up a bit but I dont want to remove the nickel plating because this thing looks so sweet so solution for now is the tape.

Thats what I was thinking of doing. I have really greasy hands so I have trouble with that sometimes. I think I'm going to go ahead and do that also.

atavanhalen, could you link me to the griptape you used? I'd like to try that.

ata, could you also post a picture of what you did. For some reason, I can't picture it in my mind. Thanks.

That link for me too please? I'm going to have to do something.

Hey Guys,

I'm hearing you. There is a need for the frictionally challenged and we love you so so I have a new part coming out as an option. I know my mom keeps lotion on her hands 24hr a day and would probably want this new part too. It will work with your existing Apex Alpha's.

I'm scheduling ~3weeks to get it machined and through the process. But rest assured, I will have a guaranteed solution to you ASAP.

Cheers,

Nate

Flebo

Nov 20, 2009
Hey Guys,

I'm hearing you. There is a need for the frictionally challenged and we love you so so I have a new part coming out as an option. I know my mom keeps lotion on her hands 24hr a day and would probably want this new part too. It will work with your existing Apex Alpha's.

I'm scheduling ~3weeks to get it machined and through the process. But rest assured, I will have a guaranteed solution to you ASAP.

Cheers,

Nate

Awesome! Should I send you an email to get first in line for this? And do you have any idea how much it will cost? (I know its pretty far in advance, so if you don't its cool)

SleepHater

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
PA, CA
Awesome! Should I send you an email to get first in line for this? And do you have any idea how much it will cost? (I know its pretty far in advance, so if you don't its cool)

It will be affordable, we will keep it close to cost so folks who have had a hard time with the standard switch can get a hold of this with out breaking the bank!

No need to send an email. We will post once they come of the line and get them on the site as soon as possible.

Cheers,

SH

sashwa

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Alcatraz
You are so good to us, Nate!

I was out early this morning and it was cold. For some reason I could get no friction on the slide. It was driving me crazy. I didn't even have lotion on my hands either. I had to use my nail to push it up and then it broke (the nail). So you owe me a new nail. :lol:

Other than being frictionally challenged I am having no other problems with the UltraMax now. I finally got to the top of the learning curve and I love it. It's the one I grab when I'm going to be out and about. The batt last me for an entire day which is what I wanted it to and no leaking. It also feels real good in either hand even when my arthritis is acting up. Even the slide doesn't bother my thumbs during those times if I can get friction.

Last edited:

Lazerrred

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2010
Flo SC, USA
Hey Guys,

Cheers,

Nate

Thank you Nate. This should solve the only issue I've had with this awesome device.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread