Flavor lung? Lorann Vanilla Butternut+VG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saphirsis

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2011
Tennessee, USA
All I wanted to do was....( most emergency rooms visits and bad things in my life begin with this phrase, LOL)

All I wanted to do was make the vanilla flavor in the weak vanilla juice more vanilla. Just something i could actually taste. 28ml of 18mg VG vanilla juice( I used 2ml this week after letting it 'steep' hoping that would help) so I added what I thought was a "little" vanilla butternut loranns. I added 1/2 ml to the bottle. shoook, vaped, nuthin.
another 1/2 ml, shook, vaped, nuthin. Did this til I added 2ml all together. Then i could taste it, and it was pretty good really.

This morning I woke up feeling like I had vaped the whole bottle and then some.
Lungs feel about halfway full and vaping my normal blueberry (non-DIY) juice is uncomfortable.
Drinking a BUNCH of water and waiting for the feeling to subside.

Anyone have any advice for making this feeling go away faster?

dripdaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2011
Lone Star State
Never had my lungs feel bad from vaping. Throat is a whole other story. The LA vanilla butternut can have a strong chemical taste in high concentration. In my DIY experience I find it much better at low %s, and as a background flavor. Hope you feel better. Just take mouth vapes till it passes.

If you are looking for a good standalone vanilla flavoring try Capella's Vanilla Custard.

Last edited:

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Never had my lungs feel bad from vaping. Throat is a whole other story. The LA vanilla butternut can have a strong chemical taste in high concentration. In my DIY experience I find it much better at low %s, and as a background flavor. Hope you feel better. Just take mouth vapes till it passes.

If you are looking for a good standalone vanilla flavoring try Capella's Vanilla Custard.

Capellas Vanilla Custard is the best around

MissP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2011
Land of Southern Belles :)
I dont DIY, but I recently vaped some Hot Cinnamon and I had immediate reaction. My lungs actually ached (upper half right below collar bone area) most of the day and thru the night. Is this the first time you used this particular brand of vanilla? Might be you have a sensitiviity.....

Took me a couple of days of lots of water and taking easier puffs on my regular vape flavor....

Hope you feel better soon!

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Some flavorings will do this. And different people react differently. I personally cannot vape cinnamon...and to be honest, as a chemist, I do not think vaping cinnamon is a good idea, since cinnamaldehyde is a known lung/throat irritant. Not sure what is in vanilla butternut, but Loranns does not use diacetyl in any of their flavors. Perhaps the butter flavor they use is also irritating.

Some flavors will make me cough, such as Capella's Chocolate Toffee, which is a shame. PG will create symptoms like Saphirsis describes in many people, me included. So my DIYs use 5-10% flavoring (most contain PG), VG, nic, and distilled water. If I get coughing fits when the atty/carto is fresh, and the flavor is very low, then I know the flavoring is causing it, and I do not use that flavor. If I get chronic dry mouth and/or throat, it is likely the PG in the flavoring, and if at even low % it still happens, then I do not use that flavoring. Example of this is Perfumer's Apprentice Sweet Cream. Unfortunate, as I thought this would be a really great and useful flavoring, but such is life. There are 1000s of flavoring compounds, and some are likely to cause issues, either the compounds outright, or the vehicle they are dissolved in, such as PG.

Saphirsis, I would suggest making an unflavored VG-only juice to see if the symptoms go away. My guess is they will. PG vaping makes my mouth and throat really dry, and water only helps a little, and makes my lungs feel like I've smoked a pcak of analogs in about an hour.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread