How to best thin ejuice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I don't use PG in my DIYs. I use VG to dilute the nic, and if I am making a juice with 10% flavor I add 10% distilled water for thinning. I tried using vodka, and while the flavor blooming is a bit better, it dries me out too much, which is also why I do not use PG. My general rule is %flavor + %water = 20-22%.

OTOH I have had some commercial flavored juices that are unthinned vg juices and are really great for dripping! So if I just want to drip, I sometimes make unthinned juices.

jlarsen

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2011
Helena, MT
I would think the best way to do it, to cut the nic level, would be as you suggested, to cut it with 0mg of the same (or similar) flavor juice. You could cut it with PG, and small amounts of PGA and/or water... especially if you want to thin it, as in reducing the viscosity as well as the nic level - but you'd be diluting the flavor too.

Reactions: fraserkr

MadmanMacguyver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Dallas Texas
I thin w same flavor 0nic...do it in small amounts,,,so you dont mess up whole batch...

Flavor bloom...PGA or Vodka are excellent flavor carriers when vaporized... hence bloom...they will wake up flavors that were dull but that comes at a cost...they can make TH more harsh and can dry the throat...

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
@Chime, small samples for sure.

@Kurt: You say flavor "blooming", could you explain?
Unthinned VG is like running a marathon in the tropics, feels like someone standing on my chest. :p

The alcohol opens up the flavor some. Because ethanol evaporates at a lower temp, juice with ethanol in it will require less heat to evaporate, in general. The droplets that form (vapor clouds) are smaller too, so there is more surface area overall for the flavor to be at. It makes the flavor airier, for lack of a better word. Almost effervescent. At least that is how I describe the effect chemistry-wise. generally 5% ethanol is the most that is needed...it thins better than water. That all said, I am very happy with my water-thinned juices, and no one that has tried them complained about lack of flavor.

As for unthinned being like a tropical marathon, in general that is true, but vaporgalaxy's tiramisu is unthinned 100% VG and so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread