Beware of the Quit Smoking Purists

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
I went looking around the net to find places that supported e-cig use, just so I'd know. I came across a popular quit smoking forum that had next to nothing on it about e-cigs. I decided to join and tell of my experiences thinking it might help someone.

That turned out to be a bad bad bad idea. I posted my story in an area of the forum made for that exact purpose.. to tell how long you had been smoke free and how you did it.

I seem to ran into a bunch of quit smoking purists because I am getting attacked at every turn for my e-cig usage. They see the nic usage and the vapor and insist that I am still smoking. I don't know if they have a problem with reading comprehension or what but I seem to keep repeating the same things that they just don't seem to get. It's like the info simply don't register with them.

Have a look at the thread here if you want to. QuitSmokingMessageBoard.com • View topic - Over 2 weeks Smoke Free - How I did it.

The saddest part is that they claim to want to help others quit but will not suggest e-cigs it seems if their lives depended on it.

I just wanted to share something that might help others, not go there and fight with these people but I am getting frustrated. Perhaps someone has some ideas on dealing with these types of people?

want to quit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Germany/ Atlanta, GA
I have not read it but one reason could be that they just hate to see that people found a easier better way to get off of cigs then just doing it cold turkey. To make another example remember high school or middle school where you (I) studied your a.. off for the next exam for days and nights and you end up with a B whereas the guy/girl next to you is one of those super smart kids that didn't even bother to look in her book and ends up with an A? Maybe just a childhood trauma but that could be a reason. They probably did it cold turkey ended up gaining 30 pounds and losing some friends due to being moody all the time and you found yourself a way to still enjoy in and exhaling something (vapor) with fewer health risks they just can't stand that fact.

*Going to read your Thread now*

Edit: Just read some of it and well I started vaping to find a healthier solution to smoking. Vaping is for sure a better Idk if you said it in your post on that forum but you know e-cigs are still not really "healthy" its just "healthier" in which case they have somewhat 1 or 2 good arguments but mainly they are small minded or how I like to call it idiots.

Last edited:

stretchpants

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
The Prettiest in NeverNear
In my opinion e-smokers are just hard to live with.I only knew one ex-smoker that would admit they still loved the smell of smoke and would walk right through a crowd of smokers puffing away at the outside ashtray just to breathe it in. It doesn't matter to me what they think.I am a non smoker.I vape therefore I am.But....I too will still walk through a crowd of smokers huddled around the outside ashtray.

P.S. My Doctor confirmed I am no longer a smoker. She's so proud of me!

mjones

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2009
South Carolina USA
crossroadsvapor.com
LMAO that guy greenlover is amish, I bet he can't even find an outlet to charge an ecig battery anyway. Thats one reason he's prlly against it, its technology that is not an option for amish ppl. Unless they make a horse powered ecig hahaha. I guess he only lives near the amish, hes posting on a forum with a computer. Nic can technically constrict bloodvessels and could be a possible cause a heartattack, if ur really clogged up.

Last edited:

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
I also registered and posted in a couple threads which are of course "awaiting moderation".
I have started by saying I quit but not mentioning my method since the thread didn't ask.
There is a ton of misinformation over there also, such as "nicotine cause a flight or fight response it doesn't relieve anxiety". I know it relieves anxiety for me and depression.
This is the first time I've heard that phrased like that and he also said "you don't metabolize any nicotine just piss it away when you smoke cigarettes".
Huh?
Maybe I'm just stupid but this just sounds wrong to me. :?:
QuitSmokingMessageBoard.com • View topic - How can I control stress without my nicotine fix?
C.B.
:evil:

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Thank you all for your support.

For those who posted I am sure it will get posted - the moderators took their time with my first posts.

Snoopy Fish your right. It's kinda funny in a strange sort of way but that guy, the regular respected member seems very much like a troll. I think he was feeding me too. Hard to ignore someone who insists your still a smoker when your not. I thought I wanted to explain things to him because he honestly didn't understand but I see no bit of information will make him change his mind.

That forum is part of a quit smoking website that sells pharmaceutical quit smoking products. Notice it's the first quit smoking forum that pops up on Google. I wonder how much money is thrown into that forum from Big Pharma. It explains why the site seems slanted - it's not really a quit smoking forum, it's a Big Pharma forum in the disguise of a quit smoking forum.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
I also registered and posted in a couple threads which are of course "awaiting moderation".
I have started by saying I quit but not mentioning my method since the thread didn't ask.
There is a ton of misinformation over there also, such as "nicotine cause a flight or fight response it doesn't relieve anxiety". I know it relieves anxiety for me and depression.
This is the first time I've heard that phrased like that and he also said "you don't metabolize any nicotine just piss it away when you smoke cigarettes".
Huh?
Maybe I'm just stupid but this just sounds wrong to me. :?:
QuitSmokingMessageBoard.com • View topic - How can I control stress without my nicotine fix?
C.B.
:evil:

I about fell off my chair when I read about ...... out nicotine, which in turn causes withdrawal. Well, I'm female and in my 40's, I go a lot, all night long, and I never felt the need to go have a cigarette after I went.

Reactions: Xavier_Ninnis

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
In my opinion e-smokers are just hard to live with.I only knew one ex-smoker that would admit they still loved the smell of smoke and would walk right through a crowd of smokers puffing away at the outside ashtray just to breathe it in. It doesn't matter to me what they think.I am a non smoker.I vape therefore I am.But....I too will still walk through a crowd of smokers huddled around the outside ashtray.

P.S. My Doctor confirmed I am no longer a smoker. She's so proud of me!

Not all are like that my mother quit cold turkey when she was about 30. She had smoked for years and she's thrilled that I'm vaping instead even with me telling her I may not ever quit. She's just glad I'm not lighting up.

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
My favorite was the one who said that e cigs are just for people who don't want to quit smoking but want to be socially acceptable. Have they read the news lately? Socially acceptable? Really?

Now in all fairness some of us do not want to quit the action, some don't want to give up the nic and some don't want to give up any of it. But many of us did or do want to quit smoking.

CBB

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Pennsylvania
I understand spam control, but the idea of every thread having to be approved before posted leads me to believe that only the shiny happy threads get posted and the ones about the people who scalped their children for breathing too loud when they were having a nic fit don't make it.

Throw this at the wall and see if it sticks has a whole new meaning when someone is wiping off what they don't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread