Not open for further replies.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
Here are some pictures that illustrate what can happen when you use an unprotected battery a battery fails. The lady this happened to was not harmed, but her coat pocket caught on fire. The case in the photos is a metal eyeglass case.

Edit: It was pointed out that my post might be inflammatory and that this flies directly in the face of "conventional wisdom." These photographs were not posted in order to "stir the pot". Rest assured that the forum administrative staff will be looking it over and discussing possible revisions or amendments to our battery safety stickies.

89GCy.jpg

Q39dY.jpg

EUBEe.jpg

yANpa.jpg

Please Note:
1. Shorting out a safer-chemistry battery in the pocket or purse can create a fire.
These batteries can supply tens of amps when short-circuited - there is one that can deliver 70 amps.
YOU MUST SWITCH OFF YOUR ECIG USING A MASTER SWITCH OR REMOVE THE ATOMIZER, when putting it away in a purse or pocket.

2. Loose batteries must be placed inside a safe, non-conducting container where nothing can touch the terminals. A metal case is not ideal.

3. All well-known batteries are extensively counterfeited now, and this applies especially to AW and Tenergy. All AW batteries sold on Alibaba are counterfeit. Fake batteries are dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldsoldier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
I'm just glad the lady wasn't hurt. And from what I understand she wasn't deterred by the mishap, she went to her car and found her passthrough! Now that is a trouper, I think I might have fallen off the wagon and bummed a smoke right after something like that happened.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
From the thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html :

Our advice is that the best and safest battery for mods is the AW IMR Li-Mn rechargeable.
It is a safe-chemistry battery that needs no protection, and has a high-discharge rating meaning that it is safer to use with high-current devices such as atomizers.

It is thought that the safest option is the largest AW Li-Mn battery that can be fitted.

oldsoldier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
Really? Then what about Roly's recommendation? http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...9007-warning-rechargeable-batteries-mods.html

I've been going under the impression that the AW IMR is the safest battery to use in a mod, per that post (and the related posts). So now what?
I would like to point out that even safe chemistry batteries hold some risk. The best thing to do is become completely (as possible) educated in the area of batteries and proper charging/usage etc. A good resource for that is http://batteryuniversity.com/ I am sure that many of the EE's and electronic whizzes that hang out on the boards will happily explain the pros and cons of the different chemistries.

I just posted the pictures as a cautionary tale and to remind the new vapers that there is indeed a reason that we counsel safety precautions such as using protected batteries. Once you become an educated vaper, it is up to you to make your own decisions.

Last edited:

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Seriously, from the information that is now posted as a sticky in New Members, it is apparent that there is a divergence in opinion within ECF. Which is safer? Protected Lithium, where the protection circuit can fail and result in explosion and poisoning, or unprotected safe chemistry, where what is pictured can happen?

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
I would like to point out that even safe chemistry batteries hold some risk. The best thing to do is become completely (as possible) educated in the area of batteries and proper charging/usage etc. A good resource for that is Battery information from Battery University I am sure that many of the EE's and electronic whizzes that hang out on the boards will happily explain the pros and cons of the different chemistries.

I just posted the pictures as a cautionary tale and to remind the new vapers that there is indeed a reason that we counsel safety precautions such as using protected batteries. Once you become an educated vaper, it is up to you to make your own decisions.

Then it is misleading to newcomers. I see a lot of new vapers who know to "only use protected batteries" and believe that the IMR's fall in the "bad" category because they are unprotected.

oldsoldier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
a lot of energy in our little batteries. Wow! glad there was no injury. Maybe one of the other items in the case held the button depressed for an extended amount of time?
I would suspect that it is a distinct possibility. Another possibility is a short. Either way a protected battery should have shut down before going into thermal overload. I'm just glad no one was hurt regardless of the cause.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
I would suspect that it is a distinct possibility. Another possibility is a short. Either way a protected battery should have shut down before going into thermal overload. I'm just glad no one was hurt regardless of the cause.

So what you are saying is that it is now the official position of ECF that a protected Lithium battery is preferred over an unprotected safe chemistry battery? If that is not what you are saying, it is certainly the inference.

oldsoldier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
Then it is misleading to newcomers. I see a lot of new vapers who know to "only use protected batteries" and believe that the IMR's fall in the "bad" category because they are unprotected.

Now you are just arguing semantics. I'm not out to start a battery war, I'm merely showing that batteries (even "safe/safer chemistry" ones) can and will catastrophically fail. If it had a protection circuit it would very likely have cut off and not failed in such a manner.

People need to see the bad as well as the good. If we close our eyes and pretend things don't exist we cannot properly prepare ourselves and take measures against these things. Just my personal opinion of course.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Now you are just arguing semantics. I'm not out to start a battery war, I'm merely showing that batteries (even "safe/safer chemistry" ones) can and will catastrophically fail. If it had a protection circuit it would very likely have cut off and not failed in such a manner.

People need to see the bad as well as the good. If we close our eyes and pretend things don't exist we cannot properly prepare ourselves and take measures against these things. Just my personal opinion of course.

I am not arguing semantics, I am stating that the title of the thread and the posts that you have made basically carry the message that the only battery that should be used in a mod is a protected battery. Since lithium batteries are protected, and safe chemistry batteries are not, you are saying that the lithium battery is preferred. Because that is not the "official" position, I am asking if that has changed.

And I have no idea what the "battery wars" are, although I have heard them referred to.

oldsoldier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
So what you are saying is that it is now the official position of ECF that a protected Lithium battery is preferred over an unprotected safe chemistry battery? If that is not what you are saying, it is certainly the inference.

What I am saying is simply this: batteries fail. If you choose to use a protected battery, safe chemistry, or unprotected battery it is entirely your decision. Make an informed decision, because ultimately it is your own choice. All we can do is offer information about the options and recommendations based on personal experience and experience of our collective membership.

I do not retract my position nor do I stand to proclaim that this is ECF policy. The pictures are there so people can see what happens when a battery goes south. So stop trying to read more into it than there is :)

Reactions: cassiosproj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread