Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
San Francisco
I got some dual coil clear cartos and my MV 5v modbox with a standard 3amp regulator was being flakey with them (sometimes works fine, but most times the LED lights up a second and no joy). At 3.7v (in MV modbox w/ MOSFET) the dual coils fire up but the vapor is weak. So I wanted near 5v with no regulator to muddle the performance. I liked the idea of the Puck but aesthetically, I wasn't feelin' it. So I used a 2X2 AA holder w/ 9v connector instead of two 3AA boxes. For the body, I used an empty can from Golden Layalina brand shisha (hookah tobacco), RS 3 amp switch, 510 connector, and green flat topped LED. The switch has such a heavy pressure that I don't feel it needs a master kill switch (it's not a carry in my pocket kinda thing anyway).

pros: Uses 4 NiMH batteries (which I have a ton of), unregulated so it fires dual coils consistently. Warmer and fuller vapor than 3.7v but not as uncomfortably hot as 5-6v.

cons: I found the NiMH batteries have a different power drop off and they drain unevenly; using a cheap RS battery meter, the closest battery to the connected + drained first leaving the other 3 with a good charge but rendering the PV done. I dunno if I'm a moderate or heavy vaper but my unscientific comparison to my MV modbox (using twin 900mah 14500s) lasting 6-8 hours is the Golden Layalina mod (using four 2500mah AAs) lasts 4 hours (performance drop after 3hrs) with my regular vaping pattern.

Overall I like it, it's comfortable in my hand; I placed the LED so it's under my thumb when lit, not blasting in my eye; in a pinch I have something that can use off the shelf AAs. It was also the fastest mod I ever built (30-45 mins) minus waiting for the JB weld to cure, heh.

g-l1.jpg g-l2.jpg g-l3.jpg g-l4.jpg g-l5.jpg

GERGOZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2011
McDonough, Ga
hey kahuna

really like your mod, very classy !

i dont get it though...we made basically the same setup...i use energizer 2300mah recently purchased from walmart...and i know i am a medium/heavy vaper...i am getting better than 2 DAYS with mine

does an led and a different type switch really make that much difference ?

what are you getting with freshly charged batts ? mine are at 5.3v

i dont know, just doesnt make sense to me.

i bought 2 sets of batts and have been through both sets twice with same results...better than 2 DAYS

check out my post, its been within the past couple of days

i am definitely not an electronics whiz, this just confruzez me, lol

really nice work though

Kahuna

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
San Francisco
hey gergoz
Thanks. Yeh, I don't know why either. I'll check all my joints to see if any are touching the metal body. I used shrinkwrap tubes on all connections except the switch. I put a piece of silicon on the "lid" right under the battery holder just in case the connector touched metal (I would have used a 9v connector but it was too thick and the lid didn't close all the way; had to grind one edge of the atty connector to fit next to the battery holder). The batts are new-ish (couple cycles in a TV remote). I'll try a different set to see if it makes a difference. I dunno how the switch would make a difference.

I did notice that CE2s make it last a couple hours longer. Maybe it's these dual coils. I dunno.

BTW, did that switch come with your battery holder?

GERGOZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2011
McDonough, Ga
hey kahuna

yeah, i used the holder with the 9v connectors but had to grind them off for the switch access

all i use are dual coils, so that cant be it

i was thinking the switch or batteries, your switch looks very sophisticated compared to mine, lol
like i said, i am just a novice with electronics, maybe someone else will chime in

my switch is a pretty basic momentary switch but i love the feel of it, a slight click - pressing and releasing

i think i got it at rs, if not, i definitely got it at madvapes

i have bought so much stuff over the past 2 months, i cant keep track, lol

i buy it, open it and put it in my "mod parts" containers for future use

well, i will keep an eye on your thread

post it up if you find anything

once again, good lookin mod, keep it up !

gervis

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
I have a puck that uses 4 AAA's and they all drain evenly, and like Gergoz, I get easy a full day from them, AA's should be even better. Maybe you could line the metal box with thin cardboard to eliminate that as a possible intermittent short. If one particular battery consistently drains faster, I'd check that area first.

Nice looking mod, btw, congratulations :)

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I like my AAA Puck and have been getting good battery life so far. But figured I better research a little to make my next one VV and last all day.

I've been reading up on batteries, found some information from another bunch of "rechargeable battery" nuts, (shutterbugs) here: batterydata.com,
the section on Advantages of Li-Ion Batteries/Disadvantages of NiMH batteries (AA/AAA) is very interesting.

Seems NiMH batteries only work as well as the weakest battery in the set, and it's best to fully discharge the set before recharging. (there's special chargers that will finish discharging NiMH before it starts re-charging). :confused:

Some of the info is hobby specific, like "Do not leave NiMH batteries inside a device that is used infrequently (less than every couple of months)". every couple minutes use for us... :laugh:

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
Looks like you already found your answer, it looks like one of your batteries is preforming poorly. It is probably the one with the low voltage. Just swap out that one and see if it makes a difference.

You may be able to bring it back up to performance by using a discharge cycle. Just google and you will find how to do that.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Uh oh....look what Google gave me when I searched for "discharge cycle"; don't think that's gonna help.

Vaginal Discharge
Vaginal discharge is normal and varies during your menstrual cycle. Before ovulation (the release of the egg), there is a lot of mucous produced, ...
Yeast Infections - Vaginal Infections & PID - The Hymen - Fertility
Vaginal Discharge - Cached - Similar

The menstrual cycle
Feb 16, 2005 ... Other women may bleed slightly in the middle of their cycle. Vaginal discharge also changes at ovulation. It increases in amount and becomes ...
www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/.../menstruation_cycle.htm - Cached - Similar
Continuous Discharge - WOOMB
When a woman knows her normal cycle discharge of mucus she will quickly detect abnormality and should seek medical help as soon as possible. ...
WOOMB - Cached - Similar
The Water Cycle: Groundwater discharge, from USGS Water Science ...
Feb 8, 2011 ... The Water Cycle: Groundwater discharge, from from USGS Water Science for Schools. Our water cycle diagram is available in 60 languages

Kahuna

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
San Francisco
hmmm I thought that it was the batteries, but I used it all day yesterday and most of today (so far) with a CE2-v5 (fat wick) and it's still chugging along. Seems that around 4.7 volts (4 hours @ my vape pattern) with a dual coil, the light dims and no joy. But pop in a CE2, the light is bright and it vapes (so far) over a day. The same kinda happens in my 5v regulated MV boxmods; fresh dual coil lasts about 3 or so hours then LED blinks once and no joy; and won't fire with that carto ever again. But pop a old/new CE2 and either PV work just fine. weird.

Another thing, atty connector is mounted right on the metal lid. One probe on the center post and one on the lid reads 3.6v. Hmmm. Next time I build one, I'll make sure to isolate the connector with some silicone. Again, as it is, it works great with non dual coils just fine despite the "power leak". Could there be something odd happening inside these dual coils?

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
The dual coils have two coils in parallel so you are drawing a lot more amps. Your battery life will definitely be significantly shorter with them. Some devices with short protection won't even run them at all as the resistance is low enough that it thinks there is a short in the system. Basically you have two atomizers connected to your device instead of one.

Edit: When your batteries get low they will not have enough amps left to push a dual coil but will have enough to run a single coil for awhile longer.

With your setup having the body of the mod act as a common ground if fine as long as all of the positive leads are well insulated. You will find that almost all metal bodied devices have the negative tied to the body of the device reducing the need for extra wires for the negative side of the circuit.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
hey gergoz
Thanks. Yeh, I don't know why either. I'll check all my joints to see if any are touching the metal body. I used shrinkwrap tubes on all connections except the switch. I put a piece of silicon on the "lid" right under the battery holder just in case the connector touched metal (I would have used a 9v connector but it was too thick and the lid didn't close all the way; had to grind one edge of the atty connector to fit next to the battery holder). The batts are new-ish (couple cycles in a TV remote). I'll try a different set to see if it makes a difference. I dunno how the switch would make a difference.

I did notice that CE2s make it last a couple hours longer. Maybe it's these dual coils. I dunno.
That's just the way it is, you've done nothing wrong. NiMH's have a poor discharge rate and can't handle low ohm loads.

Here's a full charged set, 5.5V unloaded with a 2Ω load.

4AA_2_ohm_.jpg

And that's just the cells, through an actual mod (due to additional resistance, switch wires etc) it would be closer to ~3.5 vaping/loaded volts. With your dual coils @ 1.5Ω it would be even lower. It's obvious if you are starting at 3.5V as soon as that drops about 0.4V... you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread