Status
Not open for further replies.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Nuck posted a menthol drops recipe a while back on this thread Best attempt at a tobacco flavor so far

I thought I would share the details of how I made it. It's awesome for that perfect menthol taste.

Supplies:
Menthol crystals (bought mine on ebay)

Grain alcohol (ethanol - Everclear or Clear Springs - can buy it at your local liquor store). Nuck used absinthe.

10 mL dropper bottle

10 mL syringe

3 mL syringe with the end portion cut off

Small measuring cup or small drinking glass
----------------------------------------

Crush the menthol crystals into a fine powder (I used a rolling pin to crush the crystals - nice to know the rolling pin is good for something hahaha!). Just roll the rolling pin over the baggie that the crystals are in until you get a good powder form.

Scoop up 2.5 mL of the menthol powder into the 3 mL syringe and add to the small measuring cup. Be sure to try to pack the menthol powder into the syringe when you're scooping it into the syringe.

Add 7.5 mL of the grain alcohol to the small measuring cup.

Stir the mix and nuke for 5 seconds. DON'T nuke for more than 5 secs - if you're queasy about nuking (works fine for me) just sit the measuring cup in a bowl of hot water. You're goal is to completely dissolve all the menthol powder.

Now pour the mix into the 10 mL dropper bottle.

You can by-pass adding the menthol powder and the grain alcohol into the measuring cup and just add them directly to the 10 mL bottle. But I find that trying to align the syringe with the menthol powder on top of that small opening of the 10 mL bottle and pushing the menthol powder through that small hole is a pain.
-----------------------------------------------------

Now simply add 1 drop of your menthol mix per each 1 mL of your e-liquid (e.g., if you have a 15 mL bottle of e-liquid - add 15 drops of the menthol mix). Shake the e-liquid well. Add more drops as needed.

CAUTION: don't vape the menthol mix straight - always add it to the e-liquid (ask me how I know hahahha)

That's it!! Yum!!

Last edited:

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
mamu--Great post!!! Do those crystals harden back up on you or is the alcohol stopping the reformation of them? Sun

It's completely dissolved in the alcohol.

But I think it's best to crush the crystals first that way you're working with a powder instead of shards.

I've had a menthol mix sitting here for over a week and still good to go!

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
SO................ What was it like vaping it straight??? I describe vaping 48 straight as a mule kick to the head!! How is menthol and everclear??

Naw... 48 mg nic has nothing over what that alcohol did to my throat and my head hahaha!

Had to take several trips to the bathroom... ugghh... got a might sick.. don't do it Mouse... well, maybe Chong would do it hahaha!!

Thanks M,
for sharing that.. getting ready over the 4th to introduce this to my father n law.. big menthol smoker.. if I can get the right formula for him.. I bet he gives up the ciggys and gets to loving the electronic ciggy.

I LUV my menthol, but at times I also like a tobacco taste mixed in with it. My fave is Hilton - mixed with menthol reminds me of my menthol light ciggies.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
How much menthol did you order off e-bay?? I was looking at the pound. Not sure how much that would be

Noooooo!! don't buy a pound - that would last you your lifetime and your grandkids and their grandkids lol!

I bought 4 oz from gumby96 on ebay and it's a lot!! Probably could have gotten 2 oz and that's still a lot.

TDM

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Noooooo!! don't buy a pound - that would last you your lifetime and your grandkids and their grandkids lol!

I bought 4 oz from gumby96 on ebay and it's a lot!! Probably could have gotten 2 oz and that's still a lot.

I want to leave something to my grandkids when I am dead:lol:! Actually figure stop and PU some 10 ml bottles and mix up. Sell it at cost to help out the masses.

Most places sell menthol drops $5 for 10ml. I bet you can make it for $1 for 10ml if not less.

Last edited:

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Mouse - you can experiment with the proportions if you want a stronger mix. But I found the 25% menthol/75% alcohol to be perfect for my needs.

One of the businesses my hubby and I own is a sports bar - get the alcohol at wholesale - sweet!!

I actually had bought the menthol crystals way back when I first started vaping. I'd add a shard or two to my liquid but soon got frustrated cuz I'd get that vicks vapo rub taste - ewwww!!

The drops make it consistent to get exactly what you want.

Babachoo

Moved On
Apr 17, 2009
For those interested, I get all of my herbal stuff like menthol crystals and VG from a place called Mountain Rose Herbs | Bulk organic herbs, spices & essential oils. They also sell a great selection of amber and cobalt dropper bottles and even a huge variety of essential oils and stuff like that, but be careful what you vape.

Also for what it's worth, Tractor Supply (local brick and mortar) is where I get all my PG (100% USP gallon for $20) and syringes (I use 16 guage needles).

Good luck making menthol, I've just started making my own and I'm loving it. :)

grumpster

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Texas USA
I picked up a couple of bottles of menthol drops from juicy liquids and only use about 2 drops per ml and it works out pretty good. It's 66% menthol and 34% ethanol. I usually think of ethanol as something in the gas I put in my car so I wasn't sure where to get it or just how to dissolve the menthol. You've answered both questions. I greatly appreciate that. I think I'll stick to the 66% 34% ratio though simply because I already know how many drops to add to a given amount of juice and this old dog just don't want to learn any more new tricks. :)

Now I know how to make my own next time. Thanks.

Last edited:

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
You were so kind to send me the carts and the juice. The mod I mentioned has been named.........................................

It shall be "THE MAMU" You'll go down in e-cig history

Noooo!!! I don't want to go down in e-cig history.

You are joking right??? Please tell me you're joking??

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I picked up a couple of bottles of menthol drops from juicy liquids and only use about 2 drops per ml and it works out pretty good. It's 66% menthol and 34% ethanol. I usually think of ethanol as something in the gas I put in my car so I wasn't sure where to get it or just how to dissolve the menthol. You've answered both questions. I greatly appreciate that. I think I'll stick to the 66% 34% ratio though simply because I already know how many drops to add to a given amount of juice and this old dog just don't want to learn any more new tricks. :)

Now I know how to make my own next time. Thanks.

What's nice about the menthol drops recipe is that you can essentially make any menthol/alcohol proportion that fits your needs.

sheilalynn

ECF Veteran

I bought 2oz from the same person on Ebay and yes, it is enough of a supply for quite a while! :)

grumpster

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Texas USA
What's nice about the menthol drops recipe is that you can essentially make any menthol/alcohol proportion that fits your needs.
After reading that other thread you mentioned about the making the cigarette flavored juice, I might end up making another menthol batch in a much lower concentration of about 10-15% or so. Trying to add my strong stuff in small enough levels to smooth out the flavor without making it taste like menthol would require a lower concentration than what I'm using right now.

I'm a menthol guy my self, but my friend can't stand it and if I can come up with a decent tobacco juice, he'll want some non menthol from me for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread