Atomizer Questions with my soon-to-come REO mini. [dewicking/debriding/flooding/squonking - Other general ?'s too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocturn4l3030

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
South Bay, CA
I'M A NEWB - BARE WITH ME PLZZZZZZZ -.-;

Trying to prepare myself for the arrival of my REO-mini... as i hate getting something new that i'm all giddy about, just to not know how to use it adequately -.-

After my last thread here I ended up going with the Cisco 1.8ohm 306 and 510 atomizers.

From what I been researching (a few long hours of it...) it seems like i'm really going to hate atomizers and i never even used one before.. sigh. Did I mention I already hate cartomizers? -.-;

What made me post this is because I realized most of the opinions I was reading was from "drippers".. and after running into a thread or two, it seems like bottomfeeder users have a slight different opinion.. so excuse my newbness =( I rather get get opinions from REOnauts

Questions:

1) Do you dewick your 306 / 510 atomizers?

• From what I read, it seems alot of people do it. If you do.. do you de-wick before or after you prime your atty? Or does that not matter?

2) Do you debridge your 306 / 510 atomizers?

• Doesn't seem like like the general consensus.. but I think I ran into a few threads where debridging works perfect for bottom feeders.

3) What do I do with the e-liquid that I just primed my atty with?

• with Cisco atties (i guess because they dont' come with primer fluid), I know I soak them before I use them for 10 minutes.. but my question is: What do I do with the juice after? Can I just vape the juice I just used to prime the atty with? or don't inhale that stuff?

4) How do I "squonk" correctly?

• I was hoping to find a better tutorial on this somewhere in the stickies (maybe I missed this) but from what I understand.... I squeeze the bottle until I see the e-liquid popping out of the 4 airholes(?) then I suck up slightly and then it's good to go. Is this correct?
  • When I see the e-liquid popping out of the 4 airholes.. do I want to release the bottle THEN suck? or keep pressing on the bottle then suck - then release?
  • Am I supposed to visibly SEE liquid in the atomizer? I guess it's hard for me to understand everything because I don't even have the REO in front of me..
5) Are there different "squonking" methods for the 306 and 510? Am I supposed to use the 306 and 510 differently? Or is usage all the same thing

6) How can I prevent "flooding" the atty?

• Kinda confused about this one because I'm assuming I'm supposed to see liquid in the atomizer after I "squonk".. is this about just not putting TOO much e-liquid in there? How much is too much?

7) Can I use the REO mini strictly as a dripping PV? Are there any downsides to this?
  • I seen a video or two where they put a few drops directly into the catch well(?) to try a different flavor from what it's in the bottle. I haven't really found my "all day" vape flavor.. so I'm CONSTANTLY rotating flavors... Can I keep doing this? Or is there a downside? So is the REO basically a dripper PV AND a bottom feeder? o_O

Okay I think I covered every question I had after doing many friggin hours of research....

Thanks for baring with me, I heard you guys were nice here so excuse me for not posting this in the New Members forum =[

Last edited:

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky

Trying to prepare myself for the arrival of my REO-mini... as i hate getting something new that i'm all giddy about, just to not know how to use it adequately -.-

After my last thread here I ended up going with the Cisco 1.8ohm 306 and 510 atomizers.

From what I been researching (a few long hours of it...) it seems like i'm really going to hate atomizers and i never even used one before.. sigh. Did I mention I already hate cartomizers? -.-;

What made me post this is because I realized most of the opinions I was reading was from "drippers".. and after running into a thread or two, it seems like bottomfeeder users have a slight different opinion.. so excuse my newbness =( I rather get get opinions from REOnauts

Questions:

If I feel like it. Generally, the 306's are so easy to dewick, lots of people do it automatically. The 510's not so much. Almost everyone dewicks their attys if something is not working right, they get cogged, or they get a burnt taste.

Nope, I haven't found a reason to, unless I have an atty that isn't working well and it won't hurt to try.

Vape it. Cisco attys come without priming fluid. You do not soak the attys, as in dropping them into a pool of juice, you just drip some juice on to the atty to make sure it's thoroughly wet

I have a friend over, and need to get off. So I'll check back later.

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
Welcome to the Reo sub-forum! Let me reassure you, that you are exactly where you need to be :) Everyone here is super fabulous & after you hang around long enough, you'll soon understand why I say that.

I bought my first REO so that vaping would be SIMPLE. Note the word SIMPLE. ANY 510 atty will work, screw it on, push the little bottle, (you will see some juice in the catch cup) so you know your atty is wet & ready to vape. Then put your finger on the "fire button" & vape. Repeat as necessary.

Of course, you CAN open up the holes in your atty for a looser draw (some of mine are like that). There is an entire thread on that & I think it may be a stickey.

The Reo is EASY............really you just fill a bottle for the day, screw it on, screw your atty on, push the bottle & vape for a day or two til your heart is content.

I LOVE everyone here on the Reo forum, but some of 'em stack batts, & try all sorts of crazy stuff. Read through the forum, you'll see. So, some people that have been dealing with the REO for a while like to experiment with different attys, cartos, etc. I don't see anything wrong with that. After all the vaping community changes everyday......i.e. one day this is the right way to do something, the next day, oops, that didn't work, but this works better. etc.

As an owner of 7 REOs, keep it simple.........Honestly, the simplicity of this device is what will keep ya vaping. With the REO, there is no anxiety of "doing the right thing"...........because you just do it & vape.

For a constant flavor switcher.........order yourself some extra 3ml bottles. I switch between about 15 now, but I used to switch between about 30. The first hit or two after switching flavors is nasty, but after that, you'll have the taste of the new bottle you popped in...................OR, in between switching flavors, draw up some everclear in a syringe & just hold your syringe at the top of the catch cup, push the plunger & you will see the ever clear run down the tubing. You can use a cotton ball with everclear on it to wipe out the inside of the bottle cap & catch cup if you want. (Then, this is just a personal thing, but I do this once more with water).

I've never debridged, and I've never dewicked an atty & all 7 of my REOs work perfectly each and every time.

On a cisco atty, blow it out, use your mouth or an air compressor. I've never boiled a cisco atty, & I do use Cisco LR 1.5 306 occasionally. The 306 has the same threads as a 510, so no worries there.

I think it was first Bill W, that said "Keep it simple"! ( & with some of the reo addicts on here, including me on sale day, we certainly need our own Bill W these days)

1. pop in a freshly charged battery, positive end up
2. fill up a bottle with juice, screw it on
3. pop an atty on with a drip tip
4. push the bottle
5. vape

Sorry, this is my best advice to you.................
but just like anything in vaping you are gonna have 100 different opinions, especially from those that like to "experiement".
The best advice you will get will come from "Redeyedancer", because he makes the REOs! Maybe he'll chime in here a bit later.

Congratulations on your choice to purchase the best vaping has to offer! You are now a step above the rest!

nocturn4l3030

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
South Bay, CA

Questions:

If I feel like it. Generally, the 306's are so easy to dewick, lots of people do it automatically. The 510's not so much. Almost everyone dewicks their attys if something is not working right, they get cogged, or they get a burnt taste.

Nope, I haven't found a reason to, unless I have an atty that isn't working well and it won't hurt to try.

Vape it. Cisco attys come without priming fluid. You do not soak the attys, as in dropping them into a pool of juice, you just drip some juice on to the atty to make sure it's thoroughly wet

I have a friend over, and need to get off. So I'll check back later.

make sure to come back! thx for answering so far >.<

nocturn4l3030

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
South Bay, CA
Welcome to the Reo sub-forum! Let me reassure you, that you are exactly where you need to be :) Everyone here is super fabulous & after you hang around long enough, you'll soon understand why I say that.

I bought my first REO so that vaping would be SIMPLE. Note the word SIMPLE. ANY 510 atty will work, screw it on, push the little bottle, (you will see some juice in the catch cup) so you know your atty is wet & ready to vape. Then put your finger on the "fire button" & vape. Repeat as necessary.

Of course, you CAN open up the holes in your atty for a looser draw (some of mine are like that). There is an entire thread on that & I think it may be a stickey.

The Reo is EASY............really you just fill a bottle for the day, screw it on, screw your atty on, push the bottle & vape for a day or two til your heart is content.

I LOVE everyone here on the Reo forum, but some of 'em stack batts, & try all sorts of crazy stuff. Read through the forum, you'll see. So, some people that have been dealing with the REO for a while like to experiment with different attys, cartos, etc. I don't see anything wrong with that. After all the vaping community changes everyday......i.e. one day this is the right way to do something, the next day, oops, that didn't work, but this works better. etc.

As an owner of 7 REOs, keep it simple.........Honestly, the simplicity of this device is what will keep ya vaping. With the REO, there is no anxiety of "doing the right thing"...........because you just do it & vape.

For a constant flavor switcher.........order yourself some extra 3ml bottles. I switch between about 15 now, but I used to switch between about 30. The first hit or two after switching flavors is nasty, but after that, you'll have the taste of the new bottle you popped in...................OR, in between switching flavors, draw up some everclear in a syringe & just hold your syringe at the top of the catch cup, push the plunger & you will see the ever clear run down the tubing. You can use a cotton ball with everclear on it to wipe out the inside of the bottle cap & catch cup if you want. (Then, this is just a personal thing, but I do this once more with water).

I've never debridged, and I've never dewicked an atty & all 7 of my REOs work perfectly each and every time.

On a cisco atty, blow it out, use your mouth or an air compressor. I've never boiled a cisco atty, & I do use Cisco LR 1.5 306 occasionally. The 306 has the same threads as a 510, so no worries there.

I think it was first Bill W, that said "Keep it simple"! ( & with some of the reo addicts on here, including me on sale day, we certainly need our own Bill W these days)

1. pop in a freshly charged battery, positive end up
2. fill up a bottle with juice, screw it on
3. pop an atty on with a drip tip
4. push the bottle
5. vape

Sorry, this is my best advice to you.................
but just like anything in vaping you are gonna have 100 different opinions, especially from those that like to "experiement".
The best advice you will get will come from "Redeyedancer", because he makes the REOs! Maybe he'll chime in here a bit later.

Congratulations on your choice to purchase the best vaping has to offer! You are now a step above the rest!

you do make it sound so easy >.< that IS why the reason I chose this mod.. was because everyone was telling me how simple it is..

just doing research on the atomizers alone was driving me nuts though... ya i realize that everyone's opinions are subjective.. I guess I just wanted to get a general consensus on how REOnauts do it -.-

thanks for your answers and opinions, I really do hope it's as easy as you make it sound!

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Atomizers scared me also, have never used one before the REO. But it was not a hard as I imagined. You don't have to keep popping off the drip tip and looking in the atty, I did this for a few days, cause I was worried. Now I just push the bottle and draw at the same time. As soon as I hear the gurgling and feel the pressure of the juice coming up, I stop squonking and vape! It is very simple!
The 510 atty's are much easier to start out with. They seem to be less finicky than the 306. You might get some juice in your mouth while learning, no big deal. If your atty is flooded you can draw very light and vape through it. Or you might want to blow down the atty and let the juice go into the well, then draw light and vape.

The REO's are so simple, like others have said. It will all come natural and be easy as pie!

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
4) How do I "squonk" correctly?

Just squeeze the bottle gently until you just begin to see juice at the holes in the catch cup (do not try to get juice into the catch cup) then suck up slightly (without firing) and vape. Repeat when you need to (after 5-10 hits)

5) Are there different "squonking" methods for the 306 and 510? Am I supposed to use the 306 and 510 differently? Or is usage all the same thing

The 306 is much more finicky than the 510. See http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/190995-how-use-306-mini.html

6) How can I prevent "flooding" the atty?

Don't overfill. Also, change the battery when it's getting weak. If you do flood, either take the atty off and blow the excess juice out into a napkin or keep it on and blow gently down into the atty and the extra juice will go into the catch cup. (the atty will feed from the catch cup, so if you have juice there, don't squonk until it is gone) You will know if it's flooded if you are hearing gurgles, but getting little vapor or you get juice in your mouth.

7) Can I use the REO mini strictly as a dripping PV? Are there any downsides to this?

Sure. It's a battery with an atty on it and dripping won't hurt anything. Just keep something basic in your bottle that goes with most of your flavors. That way you don't have to worry about dripping when you don't want to. If you like menthol, for example, you could keep Arctic Ice in your bottle

Thanks for baring with me, I heard you guys were nice here so excuse me for not posting this in the New Members forum

LOL, the best place to find out how to use a REO is from people who use them. You are in the right place! Welcome new REOnaut!

Zamfir

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2011
Virginia
I feel your pain on the atty research. Honestly though it just comes down to trying them out yourself. You will find you like different atties with different juices probably. When i first tried the 510 2ohm ciscos i thought they were the greatest but then i got the 306 1.5ohm and love them. But i go back to the 2ohm for any juice that isnt coffee or tobacco, i just like the warmer vaper on those flavors. I have some 510 1.8 cisco's on the way to try them out as well. Luckily you bought the best PV out there and dont have to experiment with PV's anymore and atties arent that big of a cost so just try a bunch and see what you like.

Last edited:

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
1) Not unless i've burnt the wick somehow. Right now I have 18 attys in rotation and all of them have the wicks.

2) Never

3) Vape it. I do the 10/10 method that Cisco himself told me last year. While the atty is on your REO before the first hit add 10 drops ... that should get the juice above the bridge. Wait 10 min :) I give it one more little squonk then start vaping.
10 drops sounds like a lot but look in after 10 minutes and its all gone somewhere.

4) I squeeze just until I see liquid come out the airholes, then let up quick enough that it usually gets sucked back in.
If you have juice in the well you have to watch for a false positive were its still air but looks like more juice because its moving the juice still in the well.

If your using cartos you should never see juice come out the air holes.
Cartos take a much much lighter squonk ... I do it will drawing lightly at the same time.

I've never really looked in the atty to see juice ... not sure.

5) not really a different method, but each type of atty acts differently
Practice is the only way to learn :)

6) don't squonk too hard or much

7) yes you can drip ... downside is your missing out on the #1 benefit of owning a REO :) No more dripping :)

SuziesMom

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
NY
I don't tend to mod atty's unless I need something to do- which is exceedingly rare. I've taken some apart just for funsies though.

Remember it's all a process.... You'll learn something new every day for a while, and then it will become second nature to you. Then someone else will release a new gadget that you feel like you can't live without, and you'll have something else to play with.

Enjoy the journey.

If the Cisco's don't do right by you the Extreme Vaping 1.7 ohm atty's are VERY nice for a warmer vape. It tends to scorch some of my fruitier juices, but it's great for the juices that can handle it. At $6 a pop if you buy them in bulk it's rather a nice deal. I have some Cisco's on the way to me....so I'm eager to see how they compare.

nocturn4l3030

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
South Bay, CA
tthx for the tip..tbose prices are cheap compared to the ciscos...i jus wanted to get the high end stuff first to make sure my first experience is a good one...cus i was so darn frustrated with cartos and my first.pv i almost gave up on ecigs in general....this is really my last draw as i wasted a crap load.of money already....

keke everything u guys say bout the atties reminds me of the cartos..."it's so easy!!" pppssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh never want to touch one ever again ;/

SuziesMom

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
NY
Once you have a REO everything is easy....really. My only regret is that I didn't buy one 6 months ago.

Who knows...maybe you'll even start to like cartos- for me they were always pointless on a regular ecig because you do have to refill them fairly frequently, but with the bottom feeder it's no big deal. The Boge 2 ohm hit really nicely.

nocturn4l3030

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
South Bay, CA
thx again for the replies! everyone's opinions and help are deeply appreciated!

Okay I don't want a new thread so I hope someone here catches this but.. I ended up ordering acrylic driptips because everyone recommended getting clear ones to start out...

but then I read a 4pg thread about how acrylic drip tips suck! =((

are there a such thing as a clear drip tip that's not acrylic? If so, maybe a link? thanks!

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
thx again for the replies! everyone's opinions and help are deeply appreciated!

Okay I don't want a new thread so I hope someone here catches this but.. I ended up ordering acrylic driptips because everyone recommended getting clear ones to start out...

but then I read a 4pg thread about how acrylic drip tips suck! =((

are there a such thing as a clear drip tip that's not acrylic? If so, maybe a link? thanks!

there was a version 2 that is much more solid than the 1st version. There is also the Pyrex drip tips....but these are expensive. I love them...but can understand why many don't want to spend the money on them.
Contoured 306 Acrylic Drip Tip - Avid Vaper
TheEcig.com is proud to announce the FIRST EVER PYREX DRIP TIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They have been hand blown by are partners at Garduno Glass!!! The most comfortable drip tip out there on the market!! The liquid drips easier and the airflow is phenome

nocturn4l3030

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
South Bay, CA
there was a version 2 that is much more solid than the 1st version. There is also the Pyrex drip tips....but these are expensive. I love them...but can understand why many don't want to spend the money on them.
Contoured 306 Acrylic Drip Tip - Avid Vaper
TheEcig.com is proud to announce the FIRST EVER PYREX DRIP TIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They have been hand blown by are partners at Garduno Glass!!! The most comfortable drip tip out there on the market!! The liquid drips easier and the airflow is phenome

ah ok, those version 2's are the one's i ordered... the complaints i read about was that acrylics would break.. so hopefully these version 2's don't! thx rhapsodies

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
ah ok, those version 2's are the one's i ordered... the complaints i read about was that acrylics would break.. so hopefully these version 2's don't! thx rhapsodies

the ones I have haven't melted or split. I vape plenty, but I don't puff for 5 mins straight either. All I can say is that they have held up just fine for me. but who knows what others think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread