Do you still get the buzz from nicotine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antebellum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2009
Madison, GA
Hi, Bob,

Can't speak for everybody, but, no, I don't get the buzz no matter how high a concentration I vape. I get just enough of a trickle of nicotine to maintain concentration when I'm busy and keep me from getting antsy. vaping is a non-guilty pleasure. When I get the nico-urge, I just grab the PV. A few minutes later, I'm good to go.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
No. And strength doesn't make any difference to me. I enjoy the hand-to-mouth and the sight of vapor, but do NOT get any nic hit. I use snus and disssolvables and pipes for that.

I regularly use 36mg e-liquid and have 48mg that I've dripped (but got a tightening in the chest -- not a relaxed feeling -- so I stopped that). I love e-smoking, but for me there is no stimulation/relaxation that I used to get from tobacco cigarettes.

We've speculated elsewhere that "something is missing" in our vapor. I do think that's the case. It's not just low nicotine absorption that fails me; I've got that covered. Something is missing.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Part of that relaxing effect that cigarettes give is carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide has a sedating effect - it makes people feel drowsy, that is why so many attempt suicide by running their car in a closed garage it is relatively painless to fall asleep and slowly deprive your body of oxygen.

The satisfaction of the nicotine craving is another, smaller, part of the relaxed feeling. Supplying your brain with nicotine fixes the anxiety and the restlessness and irritability, but does not have that feeling reminiscent of afterglow. I can still get buzzed on nicotine, but it is a very mild kind of buzz, not an earth-shattering kind of buzz.

Tugger

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
There's a thread around here somewhere that shows some of the only real research on vaping. The long and short of it is, if you have some people vape and some people smoke, at the end of five minutes the blood nicotine concentration from vaping is about 1/10 as much as from smoking.

The researcher says that the nicotine is absorbed in your throat and mouth like a cigar, so what nicotine you do get is delivered relatively slowly. It would appear that this is the reason we (or at least I) can't get a buzz.

Some people complain about nicotine overdose symptoms from vaping. It has been suggested (through groupthink) that when you vape maybe the blood nicotine levels continue to rise past that 5 minute point, especially since the tendency is to vape every couple minutes all day long. This is pure speculation, there is no research to say one way or the other.

robw

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2008
Austin Texas
I no longer get any buzz. I only vape now for the mental effect.
To me this means Im detoxed, and quit smoking completely.

I wake up in the morning and crave coffee more than a cigarette. I actually wait to get my coffee before I vape now.

I know im getting nicotine because in the back right side of my brain I can feel a heaviness after vaping. It used to be a pressure increase at the very top of my brain when smoking analogs. I think that was either a different chemical or a lack of O2.

Murphysraven

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Seattle, WA
I got get a buzz either. Although I noticed when I has an analog after vaping for several days I got an immediate head rush. I definatly think it's due to lack of oxygen and possible the other harsh chemicals.

I already notice after about a week that I don't seem to have this urgent need to vape first thing in the morning or every hour on the hour. I think my body is getting rid of all those harmful additives that made me so addicted to analogs. I use a low strength and it seems to tide me over just fine.

Jonesin

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Sterling, Virginia
36mg juice has a definite effect on me! I guess we all have different nicotine tolerances. Then again, the only time I felt a 'buzz' from an analog was when I first began smoking many, many years ago.

When I first started with 36mg I got a buzz but not anymore. Snus seems to take a bit for me, way after the "tingle" is gone. I had a Marlboro analog yesterday (my first in awhile) and got a very nice buzz but I don't want to head back down that road...

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I don't get a heavy buzz unless I take a LOT of drags in a fairly short period of time. That buzz could be coming from increased oxygen intake though.

On the other hand, I know that I'm getting nicotine in my bloodstream. I can feel it. The expected effects are there, it's just that they come on far slower. I still get the calming effect and I stop craving the smoke/vapor after ten minutes or so.

Obviously it's going to be different for different people. I was a 1/2 pack a day smoker of Camel Lights, so my natural nicotine intake level was pretty low. T-Bob was a heavy smoker, so it's likely that he simply can't get enough nicotine out of the vapor to break through his increased tolerance to the drug.

Plus, he's absolutely right that there's "something missing" from e-cigarettes. I wasn't addicted to cigarettes, I was addicted to CAMELS. No other brand would do it for me in the same way. That's due to additives, no doubt. And that's why the new tobacco legislation is good in some ways. It requires manufacturers to state the ingredients. We need to know what it is we're being addicted to, because it isn't just nicotine.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Surf Monkey, I did some math the other day for a PM to another poster, and discovered that in my 50 years of smoking 30 cigarettes a day, I brought hand to mouth more than 8-million times!

So I have an ingrained habit as well as a high tolerance for nicotine.

We are all different and the best bet is to listen to your body. A tilt toward overdose will be felt and can be halted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread