Status
Not open for further replies.

KiloWatts

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
West Philadelphia
Hi all,

I've read many of the threads in this forum, and glad to hear people are doing okay with bringing PVs and juice through security. I'm a musician, often touring for a month at a time, so I sometimes go through security as many as 15 times in a month. I started vaping last week, and I fully expect to be asked questions by TSA periodically as I pass through, considering the frequency.

My question is: Who has had interaction with TSA about their e-cigs? What questions did they ask? Did they ever have to bring a "supervisor" over to clear it? Any horror stories? Any confiscations?

Thanks, I appreciate the response!

-Jamie

XDoctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
Casper, WY
I was stopped going through security in Las Vegas because of my Chuck. The lady on the scanner was looking at the screen and I heard her say, "What is that?" I said to her, "Does it look like a flashlight?" She said yes and I said, "its an electronic cigarette."

She called over a guy to check the bag, he started rooting around in it, I asked what he was looking for and he told me it looked like it might be a flashlight. I told him where it was in the bag and told him it was an electronic cigarette. He pulled it out, looked it over, said he'd never seen one that big. I resisted the urge to say, "That's what she said."

Then they gave me my bag and I got on the plane. No big deal. Even if they don't know exactly what it is and have never seen one in person, most everyone knows that electronic cigarettes exist. Its not hard convincing them that something innocuous is in fact innocuous.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
TSA is fully aware of Ecigs, at least in the USA they are, the best way to carry your gear is to put everything in Quart size zip locks and seperate the stuff, batts in one, PV's in another, and juice in the third ziplock. also taking apart your PV's is best so they dont look like a pipe or tube.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
TSA is fully aware of Ecigs, at least in the USA they are, the best way to carry your gear is to put everything in Quart size zip locks and seperate the stuff, batts in one, PV's in another, and juice in the third ziplock. also taking apart your PV's is best so they dont look like a pipe or tube.

Or leave it assembled in your coat pocket and send your coat through the x-ray machine. That's what I've done with my ProVari at LAX, Dulles, Kennedy and White Plains airports and no one has batted an eye. Next week I'll be braving SeaTac.

ScooterGirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
CT
A client of mine told me she just had a terrible experience going through security carrying ecig parts for her friend. Says they thought the atomizers were bullets, pulled her out of line, checked for gun powder residue on her hands, yadda, yadda, yadda. Personally I take this story with more than a grain of salt since even the stupidest member of Team TSA should know that bullets aren't hollow on one end and threaded on the other. If they don't we're in for a world of hurt.

KiloWatts

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
West Philadelphia
Alright, I've flown a bit since my original post, so here are my experiences:

* I've vaped on every single flight in the bathroom, often going back multiple times. Not the most pleasant place to vape, but I doubt I'd be able to get away with it in my seat next to people.

* I've vaped in the airport, usually while walking, but a few times while sitting in low-occupied gate waiting areas. I've heard a few people whispering about what I was doing, so I kept it at a minimum. If I'm feeling less-adventurous, I just go to a bathroom stall. (Truthfully, it sucks vaping in airport bathrooms, so I want to get more comfortable doing it elsewhere.)

* At DFW Airport I asked an "Information" desk person what their policy was on "electronic cigarettes". She said they don't allow it. I mentioned that it wasn't actual smoke and asked why. Her response was "We've had complaints from smokers who don't understand why people are allowed to use electronic cigarettes while they aren't allowed to smoke real ones, so we don't allow it anymore." I can't say for certain if she was being honest about written policy though.

* TSA has asked a couple times about them and let me through. One said she had never seen one like mine before (a madvapes mod), but it was no problem.

Overall, so far so good. I'm going to stop by the Information Desk more often, and refer to it as my "Vaporizer" instead of electronic cigarette. Hopefully that will bypass the initial anti-smoking stigma and get to the point. I'll compile my findings for different airport policies and report back.

Another note: I'm far more comfortable vaping in airports if I'm with another person. That's just me though.

Andtyler2

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2009
Chicago, IL
Over the last 2 years, I've done a fair bit of traveling (within the US and a few times abroad) with PV equipment and liquid. Generally speaking, I think things are getting easier in the sense that I've been subject to fewer bag searches or questions. TSA screeners have seen millions of PVs by now. Early on, I was stopped for an additional bag search a few times. Flying within the EU, a box of empty cartomizers apparently looked suspicious to one screener and I had to pull them out and explain what they were. Since then, I've put anything related to vaping--batteries, cartos, attys, etc-- in clear plastic bags. I also place those plastic bags in a separate tub (not inside my carry on) when I go through security. That way, if there are any questions or concerns, I don't have to go rooting through my luggage to find whatever it is they want to examine more closely. Making everything visible and easily accessible is the key. (For example, I take my Ego case and unzip it so the contents are visible through the plastic.)

By the way, cartos are fantastic for traveling. I fill one up with high-nicotine flavorless (36 mg/ml--PG for reduced vapor and no odor) and screw it on the end of a short or mega 510 battery. Great for quick efficient hits that can help get you through a long trip.

Rockproof

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2010
PA
I have been through about 20 airport check points in the past 3 months. Usually I just put everything in a baggie and throw in my carry on (juice, atty's, and my DIY 18650 Copper Mods). Never a problem except 1 time with TSA in Philly...

I made the mistake of actually taking my bag of vaping gear out and putting it on my coat. Did I mention DIY copper mods...? Well, I got pulled off to the side and asked what the 3/4" copper pipes were for:?:. Answer - "they are elcectronic ciggs sir". Reply - "I've seen electronic cigarettes before but they didn't look anything like this" :facepalm:

At the same time, there is another TSA employee swabbing the bag, mods, juice bottles...and the swab sets off the machine:blink: Indicates that I am carrying apparently some kind of bad ... stuff...good thing I left plenty of time to catch my plane.

For a half hour, I was patted down, x-rayed, spoke to two supervisors, had my picture taken, had a picture of my drivers license taken, had my mods, juice, atty all layed out on a table...and a picture taken. We all joke about it but this was the first time I actually thought I was going to get cavity searched8-o. Released with everything still in my possetion.

Whew, close one. I always carry enough to last me a week in my checked baggage but 6hrs in airports that day and a 4hr plane ride with no stealth vaping would have been rough.

I took this all with good but the advice on backup plans are sage...be prepared.

Torqueguy

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2011
Central Virginia
I was vaping in the Atlanta crown room last night. I went into one of the phone/laptop cubbies. Had a 7 hour layover coming from Brussels which sucked but I live in Gods country so its worth it.
Vaped for 7 hours straight. The cleaning lady came by and asked what the smoke was. I told her it was a vaporizing machine for mycopd. She loved the smell

want to quit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Germany/ Atlanta, GA

I second that. I was in Vegas for 2 days in march with my first PV and they had me take my PV apart cartomizer, battery etc and let me go to the plane. Maybe not a must but for sure a good thing to do to avoid TSA newbs that still smoke.

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
Wow they took it the extreme with you. At least you didn't have to get cavity searched and they gave all your stuff back.

I have been through about 20 airport check points in the past 3 months. Usually I just put everything in a baggie and throw in my carry on (juice, atty's, and my DIY 18650 Copper Mods). Never a problem except 1 time with TSA in Philly...

I made the mistake of actually taking my bag of vaping gear out and putting it on my coat. Did I mention DIY copper mods...? Well, I got pulled off to the side and asked what the 3/4" copper pipes were for:?:. Answer - "they are elcectronic ciggs sir". Reply - "I've seen electronic cigarettes before but they didn't look anything like this" :facepalm:

At the same time, there is another TSA employee swabbing the bag, mods, juice bottles...and the swab sets off the machine:blink: Indicates that I am carrying apparently some kind of bad ... stuff...good thing I left plenty of time to catch my plane.

For a half hour, I was patted down, x-rayed, spoke to two supervisors, had my picture taken, had a picture of my drivers license taken, had my mods, juice, atty all layed out on a table...and a picture taken. We all joke about it but this was the first time I actually thought I was going to get cavity searched8-o. Released with everything still in my possetion.

Whew, close one. I always carry enough to last me a week in my checked baggage but 6hrs in airports that day and a 4hr plane ride with no stealth vaping would have been rough.

I took this all with good but the advice on backup plans are sage...be prepared.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Yeah, the Business Class lounges rock.

Yes they can.

DetroitSC.jpg

MASTER0FDAMPF

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Philly
I was asked to take my juice out the plastic bin (with the quart sized ziplock inside) so they could examine the bottles. I have a box of 50 carts with me and they asked what they were too. They did have me open my eGo case and after clicking the button a few times they were convinced that it was nothing. They asked what it was that had a "Trigger" in my bag, and when I was perplexed, realized that it was my XBOX controller. I think it was the controller that threw them and they looked sheepish and thanked me for my time. I was really surprised that they didn't notice the map tank in my bag...I would have though that was the one thing they would want to look at. That was at DIA.

Surprisingly, when I flew out of philly, I had absolutely no issues. Just a "thank you, have a nice flight."

Last edited:

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
Hehe Nice Pic! I like!

I was asked to take my juice out the plastic bin (with the quart sized ziplock inside) so they could examine the bottles. I have a box of 50 carts with me and they asked what they were too. They did have me open my eGo case and after clicking the button a few times they were convinced that it was nothing. They asked what it was that had a "Trigger" in my bag, and when I was perplexed, realized that it was my XBOX controller. I think it was the controller that threw them and they looked sheepish and thanked me for my time. I was really surprised that they didn't notice the map tank in my bag...I would have though that was the one thing they would want to look at. That was at DIA.

Surprisingly, when I flew out of philly, I had absolutely no issues. Just a "thank you, have a nice flight."

GitMoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Illy Philly
I've sold plenty of e-cig gear to a few TSA employees who actually work at Philly International. One of my best friends is a Behavioral Detection Officer there for TSA. From stories I've heard about TSA screeners I'm surprised the majority of them can put their shoes on in the morning let alone guard our country from terrorism. My buddy let's me know when there are security updates about e-cigs. There haven't been any in a while. He also suggests putting everything into separate zip lock baggies and making them accessible on top of your baggage or even in the "change tray" when carrying on. Also, don't ever put anything valuable in your check baggage. Stuff goes "missing" more than you would even believe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread