CDC seeks public comments on Data Collection to measure tobacco use among youth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Federal Register | Proposed Data Collections Submitted for Public Comment and Recommendations

To request more information on the proposed projects or to obtain a copy of the data collection plans and instruments, call 404-639-5960 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 404-639-5960 end_of_the_skype_highlighting, send comments to Daniel Holcomb, CDC Reports Clearance Officer, 1600 Clifton Road, MS-D74, Atlanta, GA 30333 or send an e-mail to omb@cdc.gov.Show citation box

I'm going to request a copy of the data collection plans and instruments. It is important that the survey make certain distinctions among those who use more than one product. Did smoking precede the use of this product? If so, are you smoking a) the same number b) more cigarettes c) fewer cigarettes?

It should also measure the perception of the subject regarding the relative health risks of the products. Do youth who believe that all tobacco products carry identical health risks start with smokeless tobacco products and proceed to smoking more often than youth who somehow managed to learn that smoking carries many more health risks?

I think if would also be useful to have youth who smoke identify the most important motivator for starting to smoke. "My friends were doing it" needs to be on that list. Wouldn't it be interesting to learn just how important youth consider advertising, packaging, and flavors to be.

Maybe kids have changed a bunch since we were young. Most of us started because our friends and/or family were smokers. Do kids these days ignore what their peers are doing and only respond to fancy advertising?

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
I agree with that. I am sure friends are a big cause of why there are soo many smokers today. At a younger age, you want to do what your friends do.

You can bet they're doing it because their friends are doing it, and because they think it more grown up to do so. I would bet the packaging and advertising have nothing to do with it. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
They are going to be including e-cigarettes in the survey.

The survey will examine the following topics: use of cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, cigars, pipes, bidis, and kreteks, as well as newer tobacco products (such as snus, electronic cigarette, and dissolvable tobacco products); knowledge and attitudes; media and advertising; access to tobacco products and enforcement of restrictions on access; school curriculum environmental tobacco smoke exposure; and cessation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread